Finally on proscar

VWdude

Reaction score
Yep... cut my first proscar pill today. I looked at the pill and was shocked cuz its really small, so i decided it to cut the pill in to4th's instead of 5th's...

Hope i don't get any sides from it, i never did on propecia.

I always get one piece thats smaller, i hate that!

Steve4263

Established Member
Reaction score
So the idea of using that big knife and cutting board just did'nt set with you well. You know the one in the picture I gave you a link too. :lol:

VWdude

Reaction score
yeah, for some reason the idea of cutting a tiny pill into 5 pieces the same way a person would cut bread with a bahemith knife isn't just my thing i guess.............LOL. 1.25 is all good though.

G

Don't think you get exactly 1.25 in every part.

Even when the parts look similar, there could be .80 mg in one part and 1.5 mg in the other.

It just depends how the drug is distributed on the pill. There are other elements in addition to Finasteride in the pill.

Those pills were made for prostate diseases and they were not made to be cut.

VWdude

Reaction score
GoodGuy said:
Don't think you get exactly 1.25 in every part.

Even when the parts look similar, there could be .80 mg in one part and 1.5 mg in the other.

It just depends how the drug is distributed on the pill. There are other elements in addition to Finasteride in the pill.

Those pills were made for prostate diseases and they were not made to be cut.

yeah i fully agree with you... i don't think anyone can get a 1.25 mg dose. the small piece i took today seemed like it was less than 1.0 mg, who knows...

seeing as its hard to know what dose you're taking, would this hinder results in any way?

The Gardener

Reaction score
1.5 milligrams is not much stuff. Keep in mind that one full gram is roughly equivalent to the weight of a raisin.

Back In Time

Established Member
Reaction score
VWdude said:
yeah i fully agree with you... i don't think anyone can get a 1.25 mg dose. the small piece i took today seemed like it was less than 1.0 mg, who knows...

seeing as its hard to know what dose you're taking, would this hinder results in any way?

It hasn't hurt my results any, at least that I can tell. I cut mine into quarters and I'm definitely getting results. I've been on generic Proscar for about 4 months, I'm getting regrowth in the temples and crown and I'm not losing hair anymore.

I just try and take a smaller piece one day and a bigger piece the next if I don't get them cut very well. If you think about this long term, you are still taking an average of 1.25 per day anyway.

G

Back In Time said:
VWdude said:

It hasn't hurt my results any, at least that I can tell. I cut mine into quarters and I'm definitely getting results. I've been on generic Proscar for about 4 months, I'm getting regrowth in the temples and crown and I'm not losing hair anymore.

I just try and take a smaller piece one day and a bigger piece the next if I don't get them cut very well. If you think about this long term, you are still taking an average of 1.25 per day anyway.

regrow and maintenance in only 4 months????? Are you sure it's due of Propecia?

VWdude

Reaction score
nightlife said:
VWdude,

why did you switch from propecia to proscar?

thanks

I was paying roughly 900 dollars a year for propecia, where as with proscar, I am paying just over 200 dollars a year.

thats why.

VWdude

Reaction score
Back In Time said:
VWdude said:

Thats exactly what im doing right now, I'm taking the big piece first, then the small piece and so on. I still have to get the hand of cutting the small pill equally as possible.

would the increase from a year of propecia to 1.25mg or more of proscar contribute to side effects?

Back In Time

Established Member
Reaction score
GoodGuy said:
regrow and maintenance in only 4 months????? Are you sure it's due of Propecia?

I've been using Fincar and Rogaine since the New Year, and in the past using Rogaine alone didn't get me any results, so I don't see what else it could be. I'm not saying I've got complete regrowth, but I absolutely have more hair on my temples and crown then I did 4 months ago, a lot more.

In the past I could rub my head over my white desk and count hairs...a lot of hairs... and now I'm lucky if I get a couple of hairs to come out, which I think is pretty normal. No shedding that I am aware of, and no sides at all either.

I'm a diffuse thinner, with more loss at the temples and crown, and at this point I would be happy if I could get some thickness back overall, and just a bit more in the temples and crown. Actually if you look at my Norwood avatar on the left that I made, the temples are no where near that far back anymore. The diffusing isn't quite as bad, but still there for sure. My crown thinning is nearly completely gone.

I've been slowly losing my hair in a natural male pattern baldness pattern for 5ish years or so, so I know it's not due to stress, if that is what you were thinking.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread.

VWdude said:
would the increase from a year of propecia to 1.25mg or more of proscar contribute to side effects?

I would imagine it's possible, but if you have been on 1mg of propecia already with no sides, I would think going up to 1.25mg probably wouldn't add any. It just isn't that much of a difference. Hey, if it does you can always break out the microscope and cut that pill into 5ths.

VWdude

Reaction score
its wierd, lately i've been feeling a tingly/senstive sensation on my chest. this is something i never experienced on propecia and its sorta getting me worried, i hope it goes away... im not going to worry about it and make things worse.

Back In Time

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess I would say if it gets you really concerned, try and cut that pill into 5ths, then at least you know you are back to where you were as far as dosage goes. My bet is that it is either mostly in your head, or it is something minor that will go away as your body adjusts in the coming weeks. Just the fact that you were on 1mg with no problems is big though, as you can always drop back down to that worst case. Either way I'm sure you'll be fine.

VWdude

Reaction score
Back In Time said:
I guess I would say if it gets you really concerned, try and cut that pill into 5ths, then at least you know you are back to where you were as far as dosage goes. My bet is that it is either mostly in your head, or it is something minor that will go away as your body adjusts in the coming weeks. Just the fact that you were on 1mg with no problems is big though, as you can always drop back down to that worst case. Either way I'm sure you'll be fine.

im also thinking that it might be because i was off propecia for a whole week waiting for my proscar to come in, and that my body has to adjust from being off it for a week. i'm going to stick it out and see how it goes for a while before i change the dose, if i have to.