Figure 8 Indoor Jogging >>Regular Outdoor Jogging

worldlyman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Running in a tight figure 8 pattern on a runner or on carpet indoors is better than tearing and pounding your knee joints on pavement, all the while risking German Shepherds chasing you, idiot drivers on their cell phones cutting it close or tripping hard on some uneven pavement far from home.

Figure 8 jogging works out your lower abs, your buttocks, thighs and calves, and doing so while having your forearms perpendicular adds a nice calisthenic effect. The tighter your pattern, say no more than 7 or 8 ft, the tighter it is on the muscles.

Regular jogging can't do that. And you've got to be motivated to throw on shorts and shoes. In fact, I don't know why people pound their kneecaps like that. It really isn't all that necessary.

And indoors, you head straight to the shower when you're done...all the conveniences of home are there, and the ginger movements plus carpet (you can use a long runner if you don't have carpet) are easy on your knees and ankles.

I've been doing Figure 8 for four years now, with only a 3 month hiatus in late 2007. It's kept me feeling and looking great. It offers comparable exercise as all that EXPENSIVE infomercial exercise equipment. And Figure 8 is free, absolutely.

3 to 4 times a week for 30 non-stop minutes each session really brought down my blood pressure to a respectable 118/78 baseline. It was getting high in 2004 when I didn't exercise and ate poorly. I didn't want to take medication either.

ali777

Reaction score
worldlyman said:
Running in a tight figure 8 pattern on a runner or on carpet indoors is better than tearing and pounding your knee joints on pavement, all the while risking German Shepherds chasing you, idiot drivers on their cell phones cutting it close or tripping hard on some uneven pavement far from home.

That's the stupidest thing ever!!!

Running on an indoor carpet? You mean at home? What about the wear and tear of the carpets?

My living room is only 10'x10', there isn't much I can do in there...

Instead I'd rather find a nice track and get some fresh air.

worldlyman

My Regimen
Reaction score
ali777 said:
worldlyman said:

Running on an indoor carpet? You mean at home? What about the wear and tear of the carpets?

I personally don't think it's the "stupidest thing ever." I'd rather wear out carpet than my knee joints over time. That concrete and running hard will KILL them over time. Running gingerly on carpet will not.

Besides, you can throw a runner over the carpet and if living room space is an issue, that's another thing. But if you can manage at least 8' of running back and forth, all the better for your other muscles when you make the tight turns.

As for "fresh air", that's what nice walks to supplement the exercise are for.

CCS

Reaction score
I heard if you run on carpet and wear cleets, you can do an even tighter figure 8. But you need to give ear plugs to the neighbors on the first floor.

CCS

Reaction score
ali777 said:
worldlyman said:

Yeah, good intensity, good proximity, bad for carpets, and bad for cabbin fever.

CCS

Reaction score
worldlyman said:
3 to 4 times a week for 30 non-stop minutes each session really brought down my blood pressure to a respectable 118/78 baseline. It was getting high in 2004 when I didn't exercise and ate poorly. I didn't want to take medication either.

This could be very good. Just need to fix the flooring issue. How do you clean the sweat out of the carpet?

I think it is dumb so many people run next to busy streets. They inhale so much smog. Maybe they are afraid of being raped on side streets. But I see men do this too. I like to run on gravel or dirt. I think you are more likely to spill spagettie on your carpet long before wearing it out from running.

Fender89

Established Member
Reaction score
Amen. too many people are unaware of how damaging running on hard pavement is to your knees.

a good alternative though is a cross trainer. use that machine all the time.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
What you do to avoid wear and tear is you buy good supporting runners.....

Personally I like the fresh outdoors rather than running indoors in a figure 8...somehow it would make me feel very stupid...

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is the stupidest thing I have heard in quite a while :thumbdown2: ...Its just another lame excuse to sit at home and do some suckass exercise instead of doing the real deal...There is also a great chance for you to get dizzy running around your house.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Doing it at home sounds retarded....Prisoners doing it in their cells is totally different and oh yeah they do have workout facilities in prisons too but you might be forced to do aerobics in the cell.Whats the point in jogging indoors when you have the liberty of doing it in a nice park or in a calm neighborhood ? If you dont move out of your house even for exercising,you are just going to be one depressed bloke at least thats what I was when I used to stay at home all the time.

Last but not least you are going to ruin your carpet and disturb other members of the household by jogging at home.

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, never considered figure 8 jogging. Looks interesting, might try it when don't have access to a pool.

Running and Jogging in general is hard wear and tear on your body. Nearly every 'dedicated' runner I know has back or knee problems. I recommend swimming.