fashionable-male's story

fashionable_male

Reaction score
I'm 27 years old. The current state of things can be seen here. Judging from the Norwood scale I'd say I'm somewhere between 1 and 2 :

http://flickr.com/photos/mustachio/15545762/

In college I had the tiniest bit of receding at the temples, but it wasn't that noticeable and I didn't care because I was able to style my hair the way I always have. It's really been the last 2 years starting at 25 that I've noticed the early stages of balding. There's been more receding at the temples and it's starting to thin out at the crown, although this is only visible if you're looking down at my head from above. At the temples it's also become a lot easier to see my scalp. However, from above except for the widow's peak and a little bit of thinning at the crown, my scalp is not visible. It's been so frustrating because I give the stylist the same instructions I always have and the results are not the same because of the lack of scalp coverage. I hate having to spend 30 minutes in front of a mirror because my hair will or cannot do what I want it to do. I am used to a low-maintenance cut that requires two minutes tops. I have a hard time feeling attractive and lack my old confidence and feel like I look ridiculous and maybe it's time to do the Aggasi/Vin Diesel shave option.

I need some advice on three issues.

1) I started using Rogaine 5% about 6 weeks ago and up until now nothing's happened. When I shower, there's usually 2 or 3 hairs that end up in my hands after I shampoo but the past week that's doubled. I wonder if this shedding is a good sign. My scalp also itches. Since this is new, I'm wondering if this is also a good sign.

2) I've done the research and I've decided hair transplants are a temporary fix to a long-term problem, and will most likely make a bad situation worse. I'm currently debating whether or not to give Propecia a try. I've googled "propecia horror stories" and there are guys out there claiming erectile dysfunction lasts much longer than simply discontinuing usage. Obviously I'll take bald and able to perform over having some hair and being impotent, but the idea that erectile dysfunction is permanent is scaring me off.

3) Being 27 and having gradually started to bald beginning the last two years, and currently somewhere between 1 and 2 on the Norwood Scale, I was wondering how much time I have left before I reach the "horseshoe". My maternal grandfather is 84 and has pretty much what I have, slight receding at the temples and thinning at the crown. My father is 55, is at stage 10 on the abridged Norwood chart and didn't really start to lose his hair until his mid-thirties. Am I doomed to the horseshoe or is there hope that I will be left with something on top?

Thanks for any advice you can render.

Axon

Reaction score
1. Shedding can be a good thing, because it indicates that a healthier follicle is pushing its way out. But with Minoxidil, shedding really doesn't mean much.

Maybe try getting a minoxidil formulation with less Propene Glycol in it if you want to reduce irritation. I use Dr. Lee's minoxidil, which is available at http://www.minoxidil.com.

He can be a bit pricey on certain products. But his minoxidil dries in 20 minutes and leaves no greasy residue in the hair.

2. Been taking Finasteride for 3 years. Not a single side effect and great results.

You only read horror stories because those people are holding a grudge, and they scream about it to anyone who will listen. Guys who have success generally stop posting, as they don't want to think about it anymore. I like Finasteride, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to maintain their hair. You seem like a reasonable guy, and its unlikely that you'll shoot into the normal panic that some of the people on these forums do.

3. There's absolutely no way to determine how much time you have left, or to determine how extensive your balding will be. I started balding at 19 and I'm still a NW2 with treatments. I likely will go as far as NW5, but it's unlikely I'll hit a 7.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
taking finasteride for 5 mos. and having LOTS of success and im 30 years old. I can vouch for posting MUCH less since Im seeing results. Your best bet is to give finasteride a shot and see if it works some magic for you.

SE-freak

Reaction score
wangho75 said:
taking finasteride for 5 mos. and having LOTS of success and im 30 years old. I can vouch for posting MUCH less since Im seeing results. Your best bet is to give finasteride a shot and see if it works some magic for you.

Wangho, why don't you post some pics? It would be very inspirational for the rest of us to monitor your progress. :)

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Re: fashionable-male's story: need some advice

fashionable_male said:
I'm 27 years old.
Welcome to the forums.

I hate having to spend 30 minutes in front of a mirror because my hair will or cannot do what I want it to do. I am used to a low-maintenance cut that requires two minutes tops.
Very frustrating. We all feel you there.

I have a hard time feeling attractive and lack my old confidence and feel like I look ridiculous and maybe it's time to do the Aggasi/Vin Diesel shave option.
Just some input from a complete outsider whose opinion is probably not welcome, and also a guy from Southern California where "looking cool" is paramount to morals, ethics, family, and pretty much everything else: :D I think you would look good with either none or a more "hip" facial hair feature of some kind. Moustache is going to make you look older. Beard as well. I am NOT an expert at this but I've seen guys actually "hip" up their appearance (in a good way) with small things like the inverted triangle under the bottom lip ... thing ... or something like this (only slightly more grown in - avoid bushy!!!) http://teknesia.com/images/blog/2002092 ... goatee.jpg ... you get the idea. Trust me it plays a huge roll in those first glances that girls shoot your way. As for your hair, looking at it right now, you honestly might look good with a buzz cut. NOT vin diesel cut but a 1 or a 2. That long with a shorter kept beard or some sorta something .. at the same length, might look cool on you. There are the obvious things like getting Sun, and losing weight that play an immense roll in your self perception and attractiveness overall too.

1) I started using Rogaine 5% about 6 weeks ago and up until now nothing's happened. When I shower, there's usually 2 or 3 hairs that end up in my hands after I shampoo but the past week that's doubled. I wonder if this shedding is a good sign. My scalp also itches. Since this is new, I'm wondering if this is also a good sign.
Shedding = normal and good. Itching = bad. If the rogaine is irritating your scalp, consider the Dr. Lee version Axon recommended.

I've googled "propecia horror stories" and there are guys out there claiming erectile dysfunction lasts much longer than simply discontinuing usage.
Google "v**** Deaths" sometime. You'll find people who died from taking it. Its a safe drug however, and millions of men use it daily. The point is you will always find negative things if you seek them out. They are not the norm. Even down to the lower single digit percents of happening at all.

Obviously I'll take bald and able to perform over having some hair and being impotent, but the idea that erectile dysfunction is permanent is scaring me off.
These guys leave out common sense. Some of them went from 25 to 35 on the drug and would have gone impotent anyways. How many men have impotence problems without any drugs? A LOT!!!!!!!!! There really is no way to know. The reality is you can take the med and if it does cause you any problems, stop taking it.

My maternal grandfather is 84 and has pretty much what I have, slight receding at the temples and thinning at the crown. My father is 55, is at stage 10 on the abridged Norwood chart and didn't really start to lose his hair until his mid-thirties. Am I doomed to the horseshoe or is there hope that I will be left with something on top?
There's really no way to tell unfortunately. Usually you can look at your family and make a good guess but with such a drastic comparison between the two, theres no telling.

I hope my suggestions at the top weren't unwelcomed. You might consider going to a hair stylist (hell, even settle for a gay guy if you have to). They know hair. They know how to see every type of hair style and they salivate at the mouth at the thought of "fixing it" and making the person look good. Its what they do best. You pay more but you usually end up with something pretty cool looking, in comparison to what you get at "Supercuts".

HairLossTalk.com

fashionable_male

Reaction score
I shaved my head three years ago before the balding really began for the summer. I didn't like it at all at first. Then around 6 weeks to 2 mos. it really started to look good -- being the same length all the way around. I never really got compliments on my regular hairstyle but the short close-cropped look got me lots of attention and compliments. Since hair grows at 1/2 inch per month, I was wondering which guard I should use to buzz it down to about 3/4 inch length. I don't relish the thought of shaving it without a guard and then having to wait up to a month for it to grow out to a better length if there's a guard I can use to keep it at the same level on a consistent basis. The only other reason I hesitate is I shaved my head a year and a half ago, and when it grew back, it came in much thinner than before I shaved it. I wonder if that is coincidence and pretty much would've happened anyway, or if it were due to the fact that a percentage of my hairs that reached the resting phase were buzzed off and didn't come back because the follicle was shutting down.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
wangho75 said:

Wangho, why don't you post some pics? It would be very inspirational for the rest of us to monitor your progress. :)

ok, ill try and post some a bit later. I borrowed a dig camera fom school and I have to get a memory card adn see if I can upload a few. Problem is, my camera focus was a little bit off and the images came out a bit soft for those baseline pics I posted on here. Ill get some new ones up later..