EXCESS SHEDDING HAS STOPPED!!!

kwyjibo

Reaction score
Sorry for shouting, but this is very exciting! I'm a Norwood 2 and I've noticed my hair line had started receding about a year and a half ago. Since then I've been going at it by trial an error to stop my hair loss naturally (I don't want to use Rogaine or Finasteride unless I absolutely feel I have to). My informal procedure to test the efficacy of my self-treatment regimen is to gently massage my scalp for a minute 24 hours after my last shower and then run my fingers through my hair for a minute and count the numbers of hairs shed. Usually I get around 60-80. It's been like this, like I said, a year and a half. Over the last few days, all of a sudden, I am only finding about 10-15 hairs (which I think is normal because everyone sheds some hair)!

I am not 100% sure as to why my shedding has drastically been reduced. There are 2 possibilities because I have made two changes lately (maybe they are both together responsible). For one thing, a month ago I discovered that tuna has very high mercury levels and one can is the most anyone should eat per week. I've been eating 4 cans of this every week since I was maybe about 18 (I'm 25 now). Some people also have murcury build up because they have several silver-mercury amalgam fillings which continuously give off a little mercury. Anyway, over the last month I switched to 3 servings of salmon which has virtually no mercury. Also to help remove excess mercury build up, I've been taking chlorella, MSM, garlic, and cilantro daily (these are all known to bind to toxic heavy metals to help remove them from your system).

Secondly, starting a month ago, I started taking a probiotic (beneficial bacterial supplement) because I suspected that I had a candida problem in my GI tract. The informal test is to spit in a glass of water and if your saliva floats to the top, you don't have a candida problem, but if it clouds the water within a half hour, then you do have a candida problem. Also I'm off white bread, and the only grains I eat are oatmeal and rye bread (they don't feed the candida). Incidentally, I've learned that candida (in addition to a weakened immune system and allergies) is known to be caused by mercury toxicity.

Not only has my hair shedding greatly diminished, I no longer have a persistent, irritiating "winter itch." Still, I fail the spit test, so I'll keep going (it's not a hoax because a friend of mine passed the test). So, if any of these symptoms (balding/hair shedding, itchy skin, as well as brain fog and fatigue) sound familiar, maybe you have a mercury/candida issue... heck, maybe this is why the majority of people lose their hair? I wonder how many people who are losing their hair would fail the spit test.

plusryan

Established Member
Reaction score
It's great you're looking into a different route to combat hair loss, but the big3 (Finasteride/Dutasteride, Minoxidil, and Nizoral) are your only real hope of getting any hair back.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
don't get too excited, it's normal for your hair to go through sheds. before treatment i would shed for a few months then be back to normal then back to shedding...hair growth happens in cycles, hair shedding can too. i think you'll end up joining the rest of us on medical treatments in the near future

kwyjibo

Reaction score
For growing back hair, I can still hide the receding hairline somewhat convincingly as long as I comb my hair forward, but I'm considering hair transplant surgery within the next two years... I sure hope this success isn't short-lived. I don't know if this is about me going into a cycle where less hair is being shed because I've been counting regularly for over a year and it's never been this low. We'll see. If it does get worse again, I would still be very reluctant to go on meds, though I'd never say never.

G

99% of people lose their hair because of genetics.

mercury, candida, whatever, doesn't really have anything to do with these cases.

get on real medications while you still have some hair to maintain.