Estrogen receptor agonist? Lavender, Tea tree: Study......

michael barry

Reaction score
Prepubertal Gynecomastia Linked to Lavender and Tea Tree Oils
« Back to Volume 23, Issue 2, June 2007 - Table of Contents

Print this article
E-mail to a colleague
Prepubertal gynecomastia is rare and should always be considered pathological and worthy of a compete assessment to determine the cause, even though the underlying pathology is not often determined. In the paper by Henley et al, 3 patients were reported in whom the development of gynecomastia was associated with repeated exposure to topical products containing lavender and tea tree oils. Gynecomastia resolved once use of the products ceased. The patients were 4 5/12, 10 1/12, and 7 10/12 years of age and presented gynecomastia of 2-3 weeks, 5 months, and 1 month duration, respectively. They had no exposure to exogenous estrogens (ingestants, salves, or ointments) and did not report using drugs, medications, soy products, herbal supplements, or lotions. Breast sizes were Tanner stage 2, ranging in size from 2.0 to 4.0 cm in diameter and genitalia were prepubertal Tanner stage 1. Laboratory data were unremarkable with normal serum concentrations of sex steroids and other hormones. The mother of one patient reported applying “healing balmâ€￾ which contained lavender oil daily shortly before breasts were noted. Another patient was applying a styling gel to his hair and scalp every morning and regularly using shampoo, both containing lavandaula angustifolia (lavender) oil and maleleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil for 9 months. The last patient also used lavender-scented commercial skin lotions and soap intermittently. The gynecomastia was resolved in these 3 patents once these products were discontinued. Furthermore, the authors performed studies in human breast-cancer cell lines MCF-7 and MDA-kb2 to determine the estrogenic and antiandrogenic activities, respectively, of the oils used by the patients to determine if the oils were the culprit in the development of gynecomastia. These cells express estrogen or androgen receptors and were cultured with various concentrations of the lavender and tee tree oil. Luciferase assays, reverse-transciptase, and real time polymerase-chain reactions (PCR) analyses were performed. Both oils stimulated luciferase activity in MCF-1 cells in a dose-dependant manner. The estrogen receptor antagonist, fulvestrant, inhibited the transactivation of the luciferase, indicating that the activity of the oils was estrogen-receptor dependent. Further experiments indicated that the 2 oils modulated the expression of the estrogen regulated endogenous genes in a manner similar to the effect of 1nM 17 beta-estradiol. The potential antiandrogenic properties of lavender and tea tree oil were performed in the MDA-kb2 cells with androgen receptors trans-fected with an androgen-inducible reporter plasmid. Neither lavender or tea tree oil transactivated the luciferase reporter plasmid at any concentration tested; whereas the cells with the androgen-receptor agonist dihydrotestosterone (DHT) expressed an increase in luciferase activity that was almost 4 times greater than the controls. Transactivation of the luciferase reporter plasmid by 0.1 nM DHT was inhibited by both lavender and tea tree oil in a concentration dependent manner and inhibited androgen inducible genes. The antiandrogenic properties of the oils did not cause down regulation of the expression of the androgen receptors. The authors concluded that lavender and tea tree oils contain endocrine-disrupting activity that cause an imbalance in estrogen and androgen pathway signaling resulting in prepubertal gynecomastia.

Henley DV, Lipson N, Korach KS, Bloch CA. Prepubertal Gynecomastia Linked to Lavender and Tea Tree Oils. New Eng J Med. 2007;356:479-85.

Editor’s Comment

Interesting stuff. I actually found that lavender stimulated growth of the hair on my toe after a couple of months a while back, which is the opposite of what I was hoping for. Oh well. Dont know if it might help Androgenetic Alopecia by stimulating the estrogen receptor or not, but it IS a hormonally active natural compound. Interesting.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it is worrying that apparently ingredients in cosmetics like skin lotions, soaps and shampoo's are not tested for their endocrine-disrupting abilities. In this case lavendar and tea-tree reduce DHT which is not nessecarily that bad for us hairlosstalkers. However is it not possible that some substances actually increase DHT because of their endrocrine disrupting activities........

CCS

Reaction score
ok, I'm getting some lavendar. I was worried that estrogen receptors might be upregulated for androgenic reason. but this definitely indicates that they are just upregulated and their effects are too.

italianguy

Reaction score
My personal experience/experimentation indicates that both lavender oil and tea tree oil are beneficial in the fight against Androgenetic Alopecia. I do not claim to know the mechanism by which the benefit occurs.

BTW, I am also very skeptical of the popular press articles relating pre-puberty gyno with extended use of these compounds. What an odd asdociation , I mean how many mothers are dousing their pre pubescent sons with massive doses of lavender / tea tree oil ???? LOL

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jkkezh said:
I think it is worrying that apparently ingredients in cosmetics like skin lotions, soaps and shampoo's are not tested for their endocrine-disrupting abilities. In this case lavendar and tea-tree reduce DHT which is not nessecarily that bad for us hairlosstalkers. However is it not possible that some substances actually increase DHT because of their endrocrine disrupting activities........

How would you expect that to happen?