Ephedrine, Soy, etc.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Yo guys,

I've been using ephedrine on/off for the past few years to make my weight for my fights. Right now I'm using MetaboLife 356, but I've used Xenadrine, Hydroxycut, Stacker 1 and 2, Ripped Fuel, etc. I've noticed everytime I use it (I use the maximum recommended dose), not only does my heartrate go up (which is expected) but Mr. Winkie shrinks up and feels "numb". When a few hours are up, and the stuff has left my system, everything resumes, for the most part, normally.

My friend who uses ephedrine too noticed the same side-effect. In fact, I think it makes sense, as the body goes into fight-or-flight mode and shuts down peripheral activity. Has anyone noticed this same phenomenom?

Also, something interesting I found about soy:

"Dietary isoflavones: biological effects and relevance to human health."
Author: Setchell KD, Cassidy A.
Publication: J Nutr. 1999 Mar;129(3):758S-767S.

"Studies in premenopausal women provide evidence that diets rich in phytoestrogens can produce estrogenic effects." Isoflavones, a type of phytoestrogen, are mainly found in soybeans.

The skinny: If you eat a ton of soy, you might grow tits as well as helping your hair out.

D.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You're probably right about the "fight of flight mode",. sounds like your body is going into minor shock. Does your skin lose color as well?

I dont use eph so I cant comment and I dont want to pull this thread off course, but it sounds like you know your lifting suppliments, and I've got a q about what I might add. Are you on finasteride, drinkrum? If so, you think it impacts your lifting? I've found that I havent been getting the pump I used to recently, which I figure is related to my recent dip in libido. Any suggestions for getting a good pump? I'm using SwoleV2 and that does seem to do it sometimes but I'm not getting consistancy.

Hess

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive found that L-Arginine gives me that added extra pump, everybody is different thougn.

drinkrum

Reaction score
flux,

I've been on finasteride for 4+ years and counting having started it when I was 18. You could say I'm a veteran of sorts.

How long have you been on the same workout regime? Try mixing it up to see if you lift better, harder. For example, if you've been doing vanilla bench press for your chest, try doing incline or decline bench press or even dumbell flies.

Weird for you to be getting a dip in libido at the 1+ year mark. Have you had any previous problems with finasteride? Give it a couple of weeks, take my advice on the workout stuff, and report back to base camp soldier.

D.

drinkrum

Reaction score
To be honest, I can't say whether finasteride has really affected my lifting because I have no control group to compare with (I started to take finasteride at the same time I started weightlifting -- 4 years ago).

But, from a medical viewpoint, muscle growth should not be affected by administering finasteride because the type II 5 alpha-reductase isozyme, that which finasteride inhibits, is not found in muscles but rather in skin glands, seminal vesicles, prostate tissue, hair follicles, and the liver. In the contrary, the type I 5 A-R isozyme finds itself in muscles. So dutasteride users, who end up inhibiting both types of isozymes, might encounter less muscle growth, etc.

Make sense?

D.

bender86

Reaction score
My dad lived in china a lot of his life and ate soy all the time. He started going bald at 50. I started receding a little this year and im seventeen. I started eating soy about 2 weeks ago and my hair is thickening up i dont care what anyone says. Im sure a little extra estrogen from eating soy is not going to cause b**ch tits. Does everyone in Japan have b**ch tits? It goes 50 cents for a can of soya that last 2-3 days give it a try.

bender86

Reaction score
BTW after eating soy for a while i can run my hand through my chest and about 3-4 hairs fall out everytime. My shirt is getting some of my body hair on it too. Same with stomach region having sheds. I'm shedding like crazy everywhere except on my head. New minature hairs are sprouting on my what was once 14-16 year old hairline. The only other thing i do is watch my diet careflly and take bodybuilding supplement vitamins and minerals and eat low gi carbs excpet for 1 cheat meal a week. Lots of healthy fats.

Flame away.

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
1)Soy will raise estrogen

2)If soy raises estrogen signifcantly enough in females to prevent osteoporosis it will raise it significantly in men.

3)Soy will decrease thyroid output and may even exacerbate pre-existing conditions.
Check http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm

4)A slower thyroid and more estrogen will increase the likelihood of gyno by a large percentage.

5)A decent amount of Asian men have gyno.

6)If you are not Asian, your body will handle soy better than if you are not. This is an evolutionary change based on diets that have been consumed for thousands of years.

bender86

Reaction score
Yes those studies may be true but I refuse to believe that you'll get gyno just like that from eating soy. You'd have to be pretty badly disposed to it genetically. Besides if it does happen, you taking about small small small lumps. Its not like anabolic roids you're not forcing your body to convert test to estrogen because of overload. You can probably even use anti-E's which are available from your local roid dealer.

Theoretically speaking if they can manufacture equol in a bottle and make it a pill or and injection or whatever, does that mean all men will stop balding and getting prostate cancer?

drinkrum

Reaction score
You're gonna have to eat a lot of soy before you get physical hyperestrogenic qualities like gyno ... and I mean a lot.

But it might affect you first in other areas like your libido, gym performance, fat retention, etc.

Just my 0.02.

D.

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Most of these studies use 20-40g, more than enough to change a woman's period so I would guess that would be more than enough for hyperestrogenic effects in men.

Also, considering only 30% of the population converts Daidzen to Equol, I would say you were much better off waiting for Equol to be isolated and sold as an extract rather than just ingesting ridiculous amounts of soy.