emu oil questions

The Dude

Reaction score
I've searched and can't find much on emu oil. What is it supposed to do for hairloss? What mechanism does it work by?

Also, is there a point where a regimen becomes overkill? I mean, I hit a nasty shed after thinking I could go off rogaine because I was on propecia. So over the last 4 weeks when my hair was all shedding I went crazy and went back on the rogaine. I also added Nizoral and folligen spray. I'm ready to throw everything I can at this until my hair comes back. If I add emu, is that overkill?

misterium

Reaction score
I have dark brown, thickish hair. If I don't use gel it looks like I am The Wolfman.

About 8 or so months ago, my sister noticed my vertex/crown was thinning. I did not know until she said so. Of course, I figured because I dyed it many times and once used a straightener chemical, that it had something to do with the loss/thinning. Then I thought about my Mother's side of the family.. EVERY male had male pattern baldness, typical horseshoe style. I decided no more artificial chemicals for color straightening (I had long shoulder-length hair at the time). So I stopped with that garbage and got a short haircut.

About 3 months ago I tried 5% minoxidil. (Rogaine). After about 3 - 4 bottles worth (about 3 months max usage), I decided the PPG was too irritating, and I dropped it from my regimine.

I have been on 1mg Propecia for almost 2 months, after trying a doctor's freebie sample (about 3 months ago), and discovering I had ZERO side effects.. so I took a break in between the freebie and ordering my own Rx w/ refills for Propecia. Like I said, about 2 months on it, steady. No side effects.

I figure, I will not bother with minoxidil again until at least I can see what this Propecia does for me after a year.

For topicals I only use Folligen and Emu oil extract which I use a medicine dropper to apply. You can heat the bottle under hot water to make it thinner, it absorbs nicely and it soothes skin great.

http://www.emuoilcanada.com/emu-oil-products.html

That is where I purchased a 2oz. bottle from. I am very happy with it's comfortable usage and feeling after applying.

I am now on my fourth day of trying/using this shampoo and conditioner also containing Emu oil:

http://www.healthyhairplus.com/emu_products_order.htm

I'm not sure what mechanism it uses, if any, but it sure does feel nice.

So far, I've been shedding PERHAPS because I tried minoxidil for a couple months then stopped, OR because the Propecia is starting to f*** with things... OR the Folligen copper peptides are 'stimulating' and making me shed.. who knows!

I'm having fun experimenting though :/

G

If you start emu oil, do you have to continue it?

Meaning, do you become dependent on it's application?

misterium

Reaction score
^No.

Emu oil is a stand-alone product or it can be used to provide relief from the use of other products such as minoxidil and Propecia.

It's healthy and it absorbs quickly and does not clock pores or block or damage follicles.

The Dude

Reaction score
so, am I to understand that it doesn't promote hair growth, it just reduces irritation from other products that do?

helpmefindmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Emu oil is taken from emus. You should see the torture these poor animals endure just so we can get some oil from them.

Please stop using this product immediately.

Save the emus.

misterium

Reaction score
They're raised on a farm to produce Emu oil.

It is very beneficial to humans.

Just as chickens and cows are raised on a farm for humans to eat.

As my ancient ancestors were, so am I.. an omnivore and user of animals for the benefit of my own life.

Food chain rules! ( I don't swim with sharks though )

misterium

Reaction score
They also use 95+% of the emu's body for other uses, meat, etc...

They are killed in a humane way and the fat is where the oil comes from.

It's the same as wearing leather.

helpmefindmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't know it actually came from emus.

I was just f*****g around.

misterium

Reaction score
Yup it comes from Emus... they must be harvested (killed) in order for the oil to be produced.

That's what they are bread for though, and most farms use the entire body...

viperfish

Reaction score
I also believe that Emu oil helps to aid penetration of topicals into the scalp. I used it for awhile and loved it! Made the scalp and hair feel great.