Efficacy and Tolerability of N-Acetyl-Cysteine for Treatment of The Early-onset Androgenetic Alopecia in Men

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Abstract​

Background
Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia), the most common form of hair loss in men, involves the progressive loss of visible pigmented terminal hair on the scalp in response to circulating androgens. Androgenetic Alopecia is an autosomal disorder which begins in puberty in genetically predisposed individuals.
Aim of the Work
To study the effectiveness and safety of the reactive oxygen species scavenger Nacetyl-cysteine (NAC) as a single therapy and in combination with the topically applied minoxidil for treatment of the early-onset androgenetic alopecia in men.
Patients and Methods
The present study included 100 patients with male pattern hair loss whose age ranged from 18 to 30 years old, recruited from dermatology clinics in Ain Shams University Hospital and Kafr El Sheik University Hospital.
Results
Overall, all treatments could improve significantly some of the trichoscopic parameters as compared to the control group who did not receive any treatment. The number of terminal hair count increased and the vellus hair count decreased in response to either of treatments; minoxidil, NAC, or both as compared to control. These changes were noticed at both the vertex and frontotemporal sites. The treatment was generally tolerable and the side effects encountered did not necessitate stoppage of the treatment course.
Conclusion
On the basis of the findings of current study we can conclude that, the role of trichoscopy in increasing the accuracy for diagnosing hair disorders as well as to detect response or failure to treatment, N-acetylcysteine (NAC) improved significantly most of the trichoscopic features of Androgenetic Alopecia and it was was generally tolerable and the side effects encountered did not necessitate stoppage of the treatment course.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So it seems like NAC has some efficency although I would like to know if the effect is good enough to be bother with taking NAC so does anyone has access to full PDF?

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
though I wonder about the dosage used in the study, it doesn't say.
I think this abstract is from that study (name of the university is the same) https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04209803 so 600 mg 3 times a day. 100 total participants so thats quite a lot for hair loss study :) I get that there is might be no clear visible success although I would be quite happy if NAC added to minoxidil gives lets say 10 more hairs per cm2 than minoxidil alone after a year (I'm fighting for every hair :()

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
add Glycine to your NAC. NAC itself is not that potent but pair up with Glycine is a total different story.

Glycine and N-acetylcysteine (GlyNAC) supplementation in older adults improves glutathione deficiency, oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction, inflammation, insulin resistance, endothelial dysfunction, genotoxicity, muscle strength, and cognition: Results of a pilot clinical trial​