Effectiveness Of Minoxidil With Regards To Follica

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit I don't know enough about minoxidil in order to justify my lack of understanding with regards to this question. If minoxidil has demonstrated to be most effective on the vertex of the scalp, how exactly will Follica help those looking for temple relief? I understand the concept that Follica doesn't really have any other options as to other molecules that are approved for use in conjunction with wounding. If minoxidil is the drug that is ultimately used how limited will this treatment's effectiveness be for lower norwoods?

Based on how Follica is in a sense taking their time to start phase 3 trials, is there a chance that they could be silently be working on getting a different molecule through phase testing that we are unaware of?

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil can be extremely effective on the temples for some people. Minoxidil effectiveness varies greatly by person though.

What I don't understand about Follica, is how it is any different than dermarolling then applying minoxidil. I have seen no benefit from either dermarolling or minoxidil. I am guessing Follica will therefore be a useless treatment for me?
I must admit I am not very familiar on Follica, this is just the information I have gathered about it on the forums.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Their topical needs to be able to direct the stem cells in the right direction so hair can be formed. Minoxidil will probably only be able to boost weak follicles. I don't know if it has the ability to direct stem cells to form hair.

It's likely that another compound is what's needed to guide these cells and it maybe something that already exists. And once the new follicles are created maybe they're just using minoxidil to boost and enhance their growth

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit I don't know enough about minoxidil in order to justify my lack of understanding with regards to this question. If minoxidil has demonstrated to be most effective on the vertex of the scalp, how exactly will Follica help those looking for temple relief? I understand the concept that Follica doesn't really have any other options as to other molecules that are approved for use in conjunction with wounding. If minoxidil is the drug that is ultimately used how limited will this treatment's effectiveness be for lower norwoods?

Based on how Follica is in a sense taking their time to start phase 3 trials, is there a chance that they could be silently be working on getting a different molecule through phase testing that we are unaware of?

The whole vertex issue with regards to minoxidil is due to the clinical trials only being done on the vertex, in fact alot of people (including me) have worse results on the vertex than the temples.

Follica don't want to do any clinical trials with the argument that there are now new compounds being used, so I find it highly unlikely that they have something secret.

People are putting way too much faith that this will be some magic treatment.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil can be extremely effective on the temples for some people. Minoxidil effectiveness varies greatly by person though.

What I don't understand about Follica, is how it is any different than dermarolling then applying minoxidil. I have seen no benefit from either dermarolling or minoxidil. I am guessing Follica will therefore be a useless treatment for me?
I must admit I am not very familiar on Follica, this is just the information I have gathered about it on the forums.

See that's where I am! When this forum discussed derma rolling I went out and bought a few 1.5mm derma rollers, and did it till blood was streaming down my forehead. 6 months later I really didn't notice any regrowth, or beginnings of it so I quit due to the pain of it. They have to be doing something different because only a couple people that derma rolled noticed any results out of the many that tried.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont know if anyone said this or if this is what you are asking

If folic creates a new wound that gets turned into a follicle as it heals...the Minoxidil all aid it growing NOT that it will make dormant hair grow...It would aid the new hair growing.

Thats the way i understand it. or assuming it to be.

Also another liquid topical component is in there. I think.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

This notion that people on the internet have that Follica must be exactly the same as dermarolling and then applying minoxidil is simply nonsense.

You can tell even by the patents for the devices that it is obviously a lot more sophisticated than that, what with the device apparently being laser-based, it also uses some sort of ion gel, etc. I can't remember all the details atm.

A company like PureTech, who are also developing drugs for schizophrenia and obesity, just do not put millions of dollars in R&D, trials (and now marketing and bringing dermatologists on board) over the span of a decade for a cosmetic type of treatment unless that cosmetic treatment is superior to conventional methods.

Here's the thing about wounding and compounds like minoxidil: They are, for a fact, known to be capable of growing hair and in the case of the latter it's not well understood. Some people have, with dermarolling, managed to regrow substantial amounts of hair. As such, it stands to reason that if greater control over the healing process and superior methods of administering these compounds is developed, the results will be a lot better than simple topical application.

It's obvious that's what Follica is doing.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
When does follica come out and what kind of results can we expect?

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Expected in 2018, I hope they make it

Didn't they produce 120 hairs/cm as well, but only 30 were terminal and 90 were vellus? I think the hope is either repeated treatments of follica can eventually get you the density you need, or replicel can potentially revive vellus hairs. If it so happens that replicel can revive vellus hairs then fly out to Japan after a couple follica treatments and have sheisido give you rch-01.