Effect Of The 5α-reductase Enzyme Inhibitor Dutasteride In The Brain Of Intact And Parkinsonian Mice

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
An interesting study on mice that suggests Dutasteride may have neuro-protective properties in Parkinson's disease:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960076017302698

Highlights:
1. Dutasteride prevented the MPTP-induced striatal loss of dopamine contents.
2. Dutasteride prevented striatal MPTP-induced loss of DAT and VMAT2 transporters.
3. Dutasteride increased striatal DAT binding and glycosylation.
4. Dutasteride affected androgen and progesterone metabolism in brain and plasma.
5. Dutasteride prevented MPTP-induced increase of GFAP.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And another similar study:

The 5α-reductase inhibitor Dutasteride but not Finasteride protects dopamine neurons in the MPTP mouse model of Parkinson's disease: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0028390815001963

Highlights:
• The 5α-reductase inhibitors Dutasteride and Finasteride were studied in MPTP mice.
• Dutasteride prevented the MPTP-induced striatal loss of dopamine concentrations.
• Dutasteride prevented striatal MPTP-induced loss of DAT and VMAT2 transporters.
• Finasteride did not protect striatal dopamine concentrations, DAT or VMAT2 levels.
• Dutasteride and Finasteride prevented MPTP-induced decreases of plasma testosterone.

Last paragraph:
In summary, our results showed that a 5α-reductase inhibitor, Dutasteride has neuroprotective activity preventing in male mice the MPTP-induced loss of several dopaminergic markers.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
HAHAHA f*****g hilarious! A study showing a positive side effect of a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor.

Good find.

The paranoia about hair meds in general and how they're all going to kill us is way overblown on the Internet.

There is good and bad for everything. I'd be more likely to die from hair loss than I ever would from any med side effect. If dutasteride worked for me I'd take it every day in a heartbeat. I got my cousin on it and he restored from NW3 vertex to a NW2 no effort.