Ebony Magazine article on baldness

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
I read this article a few years ago

It kind of gives you the view that a lot of people on the Black community have about baldness. And it was written back in 1994

Of course a lot of dudes would look awful bald, might be teased by their peers, but Black guys who are balding should really be thankful that shaving is seen as just another hairstyle for them

Will other races, at least in America continue the trend? After all, I guess is right to admit that shaved heads have truly become the new combover

http://books.google.com/books?id=7M...ebony magazine sex appeal of bald men&f=false

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bigentries said:
Will other races, at least in America continue the trend? After all, I guess is right to admit that shaved heads have truly become the new combover
Thats a big statement, i dont think we are there just yet (unless your in your early 20's with a very aggressive hair loss)

the only reason (as i see it) that black guys can carry the look is cause they dont show then Norwood pattern when its saved (like in this pic)

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
I love this crap about ''Shaving is the new combover''. They are right to extend, but what can a bald guy do to not be mocked?
You lose either way - You grow out your NW6 and still get slagged for being a baldy, you wear a wig or concealer and are classed as fake and you shave your head you are called baldy or trying to conceal your baldness.

All these people ''shave it all off'' are either sly bald guys or people with NW1, I love how they always say 'any sign of me losing it, it's coming all off' Haha yeah right, it is!

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Good points there, dude.

I've shaved in the past and I will shave again in the future. I'm perfectly ok with it, just trying to make the most of my hair and what I have left at present.

Shaving does look a lot better on a lot of cases than a grown-out NW5 and diffuse thin. A fine example is Pep Guardiola, the Barcelona soccer coach. Ok, he's olved skinned so he suits it but when he has his hair shaved close - he loks so much better than when it's cropped and his receding/diffuse crop is growing back in.

There was an article in a magazine I read 2 months ago it was talking about hairloss and celebs who have had hair transplants or alleged wear wigs. Then some Editor came away with 'just shave it off' and don't give in to the potions and lotions.
Last week, they were praising Rooney about his transplant and saying it looks better than being a baldy.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I kinda find this thread irrelevant considering that baldness is a completely different animal to the black community as it is to anyone else's.

Now I wonder what the writers of that articles perception is of white men who are bald and shave..... probably different. :whistle:

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Once I hit NW4, I'll definitely be shaving because the stress of p*ssing around attempting to style diffused, receded out hair every morning will simply not be worth it for me.

Right now though, I'm like hiya, trying to hold onto to what I have before I reach the point of no return (i.e. NW4)

Everyone here seems to rip on the idea of shaving, saying that only "sly bald guys" do it, but in my opinion, unless you have a very symmetrical face and small forehead then it is definitely the best way to go once the NW4-5 kicks in.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
dudemon said:
To be fair, there's many advantages, IMO, for shaving it. For one thing, shaving looks more symmetrical compared to a highly visible Norwood horshoe, which looks kind of like an eyesore on most guys.

Another thing about shaving is that it truly is easier to conceal a large amount of loss. Although some people will see the outline of your Norwood pattern, most people won't be able to tell right off the bat, and it will keep them guessing at least long enough for you to make a good impression on them with your personality. (BTW, this is much harder to do with a combover, bad looking hair transplant's, a wig, or with a visible horshoe because most people will already have formed an opinion about you before you even have a chance to say one word).

I dont think the purpose is to hide the hairloss. I've thought a but about this. The problem with a grown out horseshoe is that it messes up the oval shape of the head. If the hair is cut very short, but still not shaved, it should be fine, eg the Jason Stathom/ Patrick Stewart cut.

Of course, some people just look better shaved than hair cut very short, because hair cut very short illustrates irregularities in the hair(loss). But, if the hairloss is quite even, then a visible horseshoe should not be a problem. In fact, it can be advantageous as it provides some sort of outline. Esp with facial hair. And you dont have to worry about the "oh he is trying to hide his hairloss" factor.