dutasteride???

1PunchBob

Reaction score
Hi, i have just finished my 4 month supply of fincar and haven`t seen any improvement, so was looking at getting some dutasteride ( or generic avodart ) but on all the pharmacy`s it says it primary function is too help with the prostate gland. So why do i read about people saying dutasteride is stronger and more effective than finasteride? Sorry if i sound stupid but am looking for total clarity. Thanks :D

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride helps with prostate helath too. They are very similar drugs. The primary difference between the two is that dutasteride/avodart inhibits both kinds of dht, while finasteride only inhibits one. The reason the website said it was only for prostate health is because they never finished clinical trials on the drug for hair restoration purposes.

fluffernutter

Reaction score
1PunchBob said:
i have just finished my 4 month supply of fincar and haven`t seen any improvement

what do you mean no improvement?
has your hair not stopped falling out, or no physical difference?
its way to early to expect any type of regrowth, which is rare with finasteride alone most of the time.

plusryan

Established Member
Reaction score
1punchbob just some advice before you take the plunge on avodart, there are massive shedding stages. It's actually a good thing because it makes the follicles enter a growth phase and synchronize. avodart also cuts off 90-93% DHT within 2 weeks.

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
plusryan said:
1punchbob just some advice before you take the plunge on avodart, there are massive shedding stages. It's actually a good thing because it makes the follicles enter a growth phase and synchronize. avodart also cuts off 90-93% DHT within 2 weeks.
Why do people say this? I hear about people shedding all over the place with avodart/finasteride, then other people say shedding shouldn't be expected and is rare with these drugs and is nothing like minoxidil shedding. Which is it?

HughJass

Reaction score
i think its a mixed bag

when i first started on avodart on 03 i never had any shedding at all, it just stopped my hairloss dead in its tracks

i used the generics for a while then switched back to avodart a few months ago and got a huge shed which lasted about 12 weeks, then my hairloss stopped compleltly again.

G

Fat-Elvis said:
plusryan said:
Why do people say this? I hear about people shedding all over the place with avodart/finasteride, then other people say shedding shouldn't be expected and is rare with these drugs and is nothing like minoxidil shedding. Which is it?

it doesnt happen with everyone but it happens to a fair number of people, a temporary shed that is, where the hair comes back , and in some cases comes back stronger, like in my case.

read about it here:

http://www.dutasteride.com/dutasteride-shedding.html

1PunchBob

Reaction score
Thank you all for your posts and infomation on dutasteride, i am in the UK and am thinking of taking Jayman`s advise and going to gat on generic dutasteride but want to gat his website address. I have seen sone on the two main intetrnet pharmacies but they seem to be in US dollars. Can some one tell me Dr Reddy`s address pls. Thanks again for all you help. :lol:

oni

Reaction score
Dr Reddy's Laboratories LTD
Shop No. 110
1st Floor Raghuvir Complex
Somnath Road , Dabhel, Daman-396 210.
at: 197/2 Athiawad, Dabhel village, Nani Daman
Daman.

Thin Jim

Reaction score
I re-invented my regime around a month ago after being on 2.5mg finasteride, laser comb, and xandrox 15 for a year with pretty much no results. I think it just about maintained but not sure. Somedays I would think it was getting better, others I would think its all over.

Anyway my new regime is 1 dutas a day plus 1 finpecia (reason im still taking finasteride is cause I didnt want to stop it cold turkey), 5% spironolactone just on the hairline and temples, along with Xandrox15 only on the front third of the scalp. I also take MSM and a multi vitamin. My results have been amazing in this short time. A little bit of shedding the first week btu no more than before. I will be posting pics probably this weekend when I get a bit more time which shows the actual temple regrowth coming though. All along my hairline new hair is sprouting and the general thickness has improved a lot (I can really see my old teenage hairline coming back). I think maybe what happened was the finasteride was keeping the male pattern baldness at bay but it needed the extra strength of dutasteride for the new hair to come through. I think the spironolactone works well but stinks like shi t.

Around a month ago I was so distrought about my hair loss that I ordered 2 wigs and was so close to getting them put on. Now I wouldnt even consider it, as I honestly think I could be on course for a full recovery. For those of you who dont beleive me I will post the pics. My dad got a digital camera for christmas so I will use that. What software program does everyone use to edit them.

Jayman if you read this thanks as I remember it was you who told me not to go through with the wig thing and to give the dutasteride a shot. It worked

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
1PunchBob wrote:
Hi, i have just finished my 4 month supply of fincar and haven`t seen any improvement, so was looking at getting some dutasteride...
Before switching you should try Fincar for a year.

If it doesn’t work then make the switch.

plusryan

Established Member
Reaction score
f*** propecia, clearly dutasteride is a hell-of-a-lot better for all areas of your head, regrowth included. So skip the finasteride and go to dutasteride!

1PunchBob

Reaction score
After reading some of the report about dutasteride from Bryan i am going to get on dutasteride as it is a dual inhabitor and seems to get the results. Plusryan which brand are you on any any ideas on a cheap generic one to get me started? Am in the UK? Cheers

1PunchBob

Reaction score
How much are you paying a month roughly please cos i don`t ant to pay tons as have got a baby on the way?