dutasteride. Worse Than finasteride. For Some People?

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
Take a look at this study:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/hair_loss_n ... mmentID=43

"Dutasteride was shown to be more effective and showed less variation in inhibition of the different genotypes of 5-alpha reductase type II than finasteride. In a few genotypes, finasteride showed better inhibition than dutasteride, indicating that genotyping of patients would be beneficial when choosing treatment. This also provides a possible answer as to why some people who treat their hair loss with finasteride see a lot of improvement when they switch to dutasteride, and why a few instead notice a worsening of their condition. It may very well be due to some genotypes responding better to one drug than the other."

finasteride. hasn't helped me at all. What if dutasteride. doesn't work either? I haven't started on it, and I feel like I'm already sunk. Not because of what this says, necessarily, just in general.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
How long have you been on finasteride and do you have photos of your head so we can see exactly what you're trying to accomplish?

Moving this thread to the Finasteride forum...

HairLossTalk.com

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, no pictures. i started off with a full head of hair, and for the most part, i still have a head of hair that most guys would be jealous of. but diffuse thinning has definitely set in, and my hair on the crown is getting pretty bad. there's a large bald spot there, given my thick hair, and it's gotten this way after one year on finasteride/minoxidil.

again, i have to stop the minoxidil, because it causes a rapid heartbeat.

i've got dutasteride. coming in the mail, but you hear so much about it worsening things for people, and i don't mean in terms of shedding, which i would take as a sign of good things to come.

G

Admin, I strongly disagree with moving this post to the less trafficed "finasteride forum". I know your trying to keep things neat and organized but I feel moving this particular thread about a Dutasteride user with some questions should remain here or you should set up a Dutasteride forum even though you don't sell Dutasteride on you site.

I hope it isn't a business related decision on your part because I feel that to be unethical and contradicting to this websites mission.

Thanks