dutasteride and "mental clarity"

HotBaldGuy

Reaction score
I recently switched from finasteride to dutasteride and have noticed a weird side (but pleasant) side effect: I feel like my thinking is clearer. Does dutasteride increase testosterone levels? I know that higher levels of testosterone (and estrogen) increases mental clarity. Any connection???

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think both are possible.

HotBaldGuy's clarity has improved because he has faith that the dutasteride will work, which is curing him of his worries, and leaving him free to focus his mind on other things.

nohairnodandruff, on the other hand, is impatient with his finasteride. He can't wait to get a result, and so focusing on other things is harder.

Don't think it's anything to do with the drug, however.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
No I dont think thats it. I've seen many posts in these forums with ppl reporting "Braig Fog" while on finasteride. During the whole time I was on finasteride, I wasn't able to think clearly. As soon as I got off finasteride, my memory, thinking is all coming back.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah i experienced those side effects too on finasteride aswell and tried dutasteride for a week and got the same sh*t side effects. I'll never touch drugs again. After being on finasteride for ever 1 year and now off for over 2 months i feel 1000 times better. Mabye because im young i had those sides, who knows. Bottom line, never again.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont bevlieve this. You do not only take finasteride/dutasteride...
There are so many influences on your mood, brain, health...

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bullshit, i should know bud i put the sh*t in my body for 1 year and did many on and off tests. I do the same sh*t everyday and have the same routine for a long time. finasteride definetly f***'s with your head and gives you brain fog. It also f***'s with MANY more things than that. Its due to the lack of DHT and increase in estradiol. Do some research on it. If messes up your whole hormnal balance especially for a young guy. You dudes on the drugs are just in some pathetic denial that these drugs are so wondering,ect. Ive talked to people i know personally that dont come on the forums that claimed the same sh*t as me and others. Even a 35 year old guy claimed the same sh*t. Unless you sleep for like 12 straight or have sex like 5 times in a day you may have some brain fog or feel a little "off" for a while but you will feel normal again later on. On those drugs you always feel that way. I went to get a damn physical while on finasteride because i thought i had a disease, i felt so shitty, tired all the time, foggy mind, recovery time from physical work was horrible, i was 100 times more prone to stress, to tell you the truth i was scared i had something. They didnt test for hormones just a regular physical as i didnt tell my Doctor i was on finasteride, every thing came back fine and i was puzzled. Since being off finasteride for over 2 months i feel amazing in everyway. I feel like a 22 year old should feel, not like a 60 year old anymore, a zombie on some f*****g drug. I wouldn't take those drugs if you paid me.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
I had very noticeable periods of "brain fog" during the first few months of taking dutasteride every day. As I remember it, the feeling peaked approximately 3 hours after dosing - which I believe is roughly when dutasteride reaches its maximum serum concentration - but fortunately persisted for just a few more after that before fading away.

Slarti

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol. I remember when I was on finasteride, I was always worrying if I was going to forget something . In highschool I made a 1600 on my SATS, and recently took the GMAT on finasteride and got below average. Now my mind feels better, I am thinking if retaking it. I hope dutasteride doesn't cause the same effects.

HotBaldGuy

Reaction score
Huh. Well, I just took the bar exam in Feb; currently waiting for the results. I too rocked the ACT and LSAT but my practice bar test scores really sucked. I had a hell of a time remembering all the stuff for the test - a problem I never encountered until taking finasteride. Like I said in the original post dutasteride seems to be a little less harsh on the ol' brain. If I f*** this test up, I'm going off the dutasteride, at least temporarily. Dr. Cole is fixing me up this summer, so I don't want to lose anymore precious hairs than I have to.

But as one guy said there are a ton of factors involved...

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah you're right, there are alot of factors and its different for everybody. I am thinking this is one of the more common of the side-effects that i've seen people post about.

Maybe dutasteride is not making you think clearer, but maybe the switch from finasteride to dutasteride cleared your head?

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
nohairnodandruff said:
Lol. I remember when I was on finasteride, I was always worrying if I was going to forget something . In highschool I made a 1600 on my SATS, and recently took the GMAT on finasteride and got below average. Now my mind feels better, I am thinking if retaking it. I hope dutasteride doesn't cause the same effects.

Are you going to try dutasteride?

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride and dutasteride are part of the surrealist conspiracy to melt consciousness in the post-futurist culture. After plagues, black death and world wars, which continue in proliferation, there is little hope but in the intrapersonal lottery, where character is reflected through less rigid social norms, we can decide who we are, ignoring disabilities of function and appearance, whilst sinister and moral forces dissuade us from thinking for our individualities. It is my choice to take hair inducing drugs, with all their side effects, because I am vain, I am hopeless. Yet I have a purpose, not relevant in this forum, a polticial purpose. I am aware though, that though I am not sharp and decisive, I can think more deeply, as if my tomorrow depends on a contemplative decision today.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Boru said:
finasteride and dutasteride are part of the surrealist conspiracy to melt consciousness in the post-futurist culture. After plagues, black death and world wars, which continue in proliferation, there is little hope but in the intrapersonal lottery, where character is reflected through less rigid social norms, we can decide who we are, ignoring disabilities of function and appearance, whilst sinister and moral forces dissuade us from thinking for our individualities. It is my choice to take hair inducing drugs, with all their side effects, because I am vain, I am hopeless. Yet I have a purpose, not relevant in this forum, a polticial purpose. I am aware though, that though I am not sharp and decisive, I can think more deeply, as if my tomorrow depends on a contemplative decision today.

I love Big Brother!

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Boru said:

Is Boru really gunner?

amrod

Established Member
Reaction score
i had brain fog aswell but i figured it was just permanent brain damage to overuse of drugs (the non perscription kind)

whatever

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
amrod said:
i had brain fog aswell but i figured it was just permanent brain damage to overuse of drugs (the non perscription kind)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :hairy: