Duta results

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
not too many people using duta at this site. you might try some of the other hairloss sites where the unproven/experimental treatments are more popular.

I know we have a few ppl lurking that use duta, but we dont hear from them much.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Unfortunately, dutasteride has not been approved for use as a hair loss treatment yet, and there is no *final* safety or performance data on it for use as a hair loss treatment.

We do have *many* users that are using it however, and have filled out our Avodart survey. Nearly 100. We will be posting their progress and results after 6-8 months has passed.

HairLossTalk.com

bombscience

Reaction score
I was wondering what the transition from Fina->dutasteride was like for most people? Any part of the survey going to reveal that?

maddoc23

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Unfortunately, dutasteride has not been approved for use as a hair loss treatment yet, and there is no *final* safety or performance data on it for use as a hair loss treatment.

We do have *many* users that are using it however, and have filled out our Avodart survey. Nearly 100. We will be posting their progress and results after 6-8 months has passed.

HairLossTalk.com

Respectfully, I must disagree. Dutasteride has been approved by the FDA for BPH. Because people use the drug for different purposes does not make it any more "unsafe." Avodart's safety has been confirmed for up to 4 years.

D

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Respectfully, I must disagree. Dutasteride has been approved by the FDA for BPH. Because people use the drug for different purposes does not make it any more "unsafe." Avodart's safety has been confirmed for up to 4 years.

I think you misunderstand the point HairLossTalk.com is trying to make. Avodart may have thus far proven to be acceptably "safe" for the treatment of BPH, but it has not been studied long term for anything, especially hair loss. A drug's risk profile has to coincide with the approved treatments. Chemotherapy is FDA approved for cancer, but you wouldnt want to take it as an experimental skin tone improver!

dmeister

Reaction score
Chemotherapy is FDA approved for cancer, but you wouldnt want to take it as an experimental skin tone improver!

Nevertheless, it would be no less safe either way.

I switched to Avodart from Propecia about 3+ months ago. I hadn't maintained my hair count after using Propecia for a year, so I thought it was time to switch to the "big gun." However, after a month or so on Avodart, I noticed that my hairloss started increasing (and still is). I don't know whether this is a negative reaction to the Dutasteride or just a new "shedding phase." And, frankly, I don't know that there is an easy way to find out.

bombscience

Reaction score
dmeister said:
Chemotherapy is FDA approved for cancer, but you wouldnt want to take it as an experimental skin tone improver!

Nevertheless, it would be no less safe either way.

I switched to Avodart from Propecia about 3+ months ago. I hadn't maintained my hair count after using Propecia for a year, so I thought it was time to switch to the "big gun." However, after a month or so on Avodart, I noticed that my hairloss started increasing (and still is). I don't know whether this is a negative reaction to the Dutasteride or just a new "shedding phase." And, frankly, I don't know that there is an easy way to find out.

Very interesting. That was one of my concerns with going finasteride before dutasteride because I was worried if there came a time i wanted to make the switch if it would hurt me.