Drink Distilled Water, not Mineral Water.

CCS

Reaction score
Tell me what you think of this:

I just read a report that was posted with a citation on a wall by a distilled water dispensor in a health food store (49 cents or less per gallon), so there is a motive. But it sounds believable to me.

It says
"the body can't utilize the minerals in mineral water, except for the sodium, because they are inorganic. The best place to get minerals is from our food, which has them in an organic form. Plants also change contaminants like mercury into a less harmful form. It is a myth that you will lose more minerals if you drink distilled water instead of mineral water. The minerals in mineral water and tap water can deposit in your body soft tissues, worsening arthritis, hardening arteries especially small ones, and saturating the water in your blood so it can't carry as much other good stuff. Drinking distilled water will help dissolve the deposits and get you back to where you should be."

I'll look into this more. The organic leafy greens there are much cheaper than at the grocery store.

As for other contaminants in tap water, such as lead and mercury, we know that a small enough amount of any poison often will benefit you more than none at all, but who knows what amount is small enough. My guess is a little tap water here and there is good, but if you get all your water from the tap, you are probably getting too much, especially if you drink a gallon a day like I try to. I also suspect the free radical damage of shower water on the skin is minimized in short showers if you dry off fully rather than air dry. Post shower sweat probably helps push the bad stuff back out. Long baths that make your toes wrinkle allow the chemicals in body washes to penetrate your skin more, with unknown effects.

I got some glass gallon jugs for my water, since I can always taste the plastic in bottled water. I had to buy and dump 3 gallons of wine to get the jugs. I don't know where to get cheap glass gallon jugs.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
Woah Woah Woah Woah!! ... You bought and dumped gallons of wine just so you could fill them with water :stupid:

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Try drinking nothing but distilled water, and you will die.

Osmosis means it will draw all the minerals/nurtients from the cells and kill them all off.

CCS

Reaction score
the Last Fight said:
Woah Woah Woah Woah!! ... You bought and dumped gallons of wine just so you could fill them with water :stupid:

Not all of it. The guy at the health food store asked me to poor a quart of it into his bottle. It was cheap wine.

Fundi said:
Try drinking nothing but distilled water, and you will die.
Osmosis means it will draw all the minerals/nurtients from the cells and kill them all off.

I know for a fact that as long as you are eating food, distilled water will not take away all your minerals. Worst case cinario you might have to eat more, or get more salt, but last I checked we need 3.5 grams of sodium per day, and since our tap water is not sea water, I doubt we get much from our water.

The main issue I'm interested in is whether it is true that we don't use inorganic minerals, and if it is true they deposit in the body and cause problems. I used http://www.nutritiondata.com pantry to calculate my mineral intake, and it seems I'm getting at least 200% of what I need, so no worries there.

Just so you guys know I'm not totally making all this up, take a look at this site I found in 2 seconds. Maybe there is more. This site does not look authoritative, but it has citations, and is not where I got my info from initially.

http://www.cybergeo.com/wellness/water/ ... erals.html

s.a.f

Reaction score
CCS said:

... I also suspect the free radical damage of shower water on the skin is minimized in short showers if you dry off fully rather than air dry. Post shower sweat probably helps push the bad stuff back out. Long baths that make your toes wrinkle allow the chemicals in body washes to penetrate your skin more, with unknown effects.

I got some glass gallon jugs for my water, since I can always taste the plastic in bottled water. I had to buy and dump 3 gallons of wine to get the jugs. I don't know where to get cheap glass gallon jugs.

You need to learn to forget about sh*t like this it'll drive you crazy. I bet you even worry about the quality of the air that you're breathing?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
CCS said:

It says
"the body can't utilize the minerals in mineral water, except for the sodium, because they are inorganic.

I hear claims like that from time to time, and I don't believe them. I think "inorganic" minerals in mineral water CAN be absorbed and utilized.

CCS said:
The main issue I'm interested in is whether it is true that we don't use inorganic minerals, and if it is true they deposit in the body and cause problems.

Just so you guys know I'm not totally making all this up, take a look at this site I found in 2 seconds. Maybe there is more. This site does not look authoritative, but it has citations, and is not where I got my info from initially.

http://www.cybergeo.com/wellness/water/ ... erals.html

Those citations don't particularly impress me. I think those are mostly just publications from the bottled water industry.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Of course we can absorb inorganic minerals from water. Why do you think people have had to replace deteriorating galvanized pipes in their plumbing systems? Same for old copper pipe systems that used improper, inferior solder.

So, if all that link stated was true, I could dissolve lead in water and drink it to my heart's content without any worries?! :shock:

Don't fall for all that crap CCS.

Edit: Here's one I heard about the other day, "People with type A+ blood shouldn't eat sweet potatoes or tomatoes because they damage their bodies". WTF!!?? :thumbdown2:

You think I'm kidding? Here's another one that is similar: http://www.runtheplanet.com/trainingrac ... odtype.asp

So, let's see, both my parents are type O but I ended up with type A+. So I came from hunter/gatherers and they came from..... oh heck, this is gibberish.

I supposedly have a fragile digestive system. I guess I was the exception. :sleep:

CCS

Reaction score
Flouride reduces cavities in young kids. But 3x the optimal dose can also cause retardation. Bones loaded with flouride can cause flouride poisoning if osteoperosis sets in fast and releases it too fast.

Bryan, I looked at the nutrition content of my favorite foods, and I'm getting 200% the RDA without the water. The only issue I see is keeping the flouride levels in my teeth high.

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
I watched a documentary on fluoride (on YouTube, I believe); apparently, among other things, it causes hair loss. And it is put into tap water by your local government.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Besides inorganic fluoride in water which has been proven to reduce dental cavities (hence, it must be absorbed by the body), there is also the example of natural magnesium (and maybe calcium?) salts in local water, which has been associated with a decrease in local levels of heart disease. I believe a lot of research in that area was generated by the experience of people in Deaf Smith County in Texas, which had lower than average levels of heart disease and higher levels of magnesium in their water. Once again, that seems to prove that even these inorganic minerals in water can certainly be absorbed by our bodies.

CCS

Reaction score
Here is what my former chemical engineering mentor said,

I think it was a mistake to dump the wine. You are worrying too much about the stuff in water. People are living longer than ever these days.