DR. giving a 17yr old kid a hair transplant

ineedhairnow

Reaction score
IS that right?

Koala

Reaction score
Basketballhead said:
NO way any reputable DR would provide such a service.

Why not? If the child was in need, then I don't see how it's any different than 30 or 40 year old getting hair transplant.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Koala said:
Why not? If the child was in need, then I don't see how it's any different than 30 or 40 year old getting hair transplant.
Do some reading/research and you'll find out why not.

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
Koala said:
Do some reading/research and you'll find out why not.

I had my first hair transplant at the age of 19. I had male pattern baldness something fierce. Because of my youth I was able to heal faster, and recovery was a breeze. If you don't mind chasing your hair line, I don't see why starting transplantation at age 17 would be wrong if it was obviously permanent hair loss.

G

Folks,

The reason why younger guys should wait until they are at least 25 is because they have no idea where their hairloss is headed. Most men with male pattern baldness that is noticiable in their late teens do experience dramatic hairloss over the years and their available finite donor will never be enough to fill in everything. Something will have to give. That's why so many ethical doctors will want to start the younger male patient on Propecia because finasteride can buy us time and reduce the potential areas of further loss.

In addition, a fair amount of younger men want their natural hailine back which is situated lower than it will be in the decades to come. They want to look like themselves again and anyone can understand that. The problem becomes apparent years later when their natural hairlines move back but the terminal hair from the transplant stays where it was implanted. Now what?! It is extremely difficult to move a transplanted hairline back then it is to have it lowered a tad bit later. In other words "any" hairline should have an adult placement so it never looks out of pocket and is much easier to enhance or strengthen in the future years. I have seen it time and time again and most men think differently once they get in their mid-thirties or even forties. But once one commits to a hairline too low, you are committed to filling in behind it which may not leave enough for the other areas.

Sure there have been some children who have received some hair restoration but it is for other cosmetic reasons like covering scars caused by accidents, birth marks in the scalp, etc. Kids do not have hair transplant procedures related to male pattern baldness which is an entirely different issue altogethor.

And what happens if the young man does not respond to finasteride and has the potential to hit Norwood class 7 because it is in his family history? He may approach this issue entirely differently and may even opt out of hair transplants because he ends up realizing that he cannot get accetable coverage so why start? Lots to think about. Best wishes to all.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Gill covered everything that I would. I have known ethical physicians that have performed procedures on younger patients (21, 21, etc.), but that is after the physician guaged the level of hair loss that the sufferer has, asked about family history, and most importantly, gauged the maturity of the individual to determine that he is going to be diligent in his battle.