don't drewl over hair grafts

CCS

Reaction score
gillenator said:
The problem with systems is that they are way too dense to begin with. That, more than anything, triggers the eye drift to look closer.

Depends how dense it is. I've seen some very thin hair systems on toplace. They are so thin I'd never wear them. Those guys are so conservative about keeping the hair line high, putting irregularities in the hairline, graduating the density, and keeping the top thinner than the sides. My goal is match my side density and restore my temples too.

There are many guys who just get stock pieces, and the color does not match perfectly, and neither does the curl direction or density. I'm not lazy, so I'm going all custom and sending in hair samples so they give me an exact match. I'm also sending in a template that matches my scull shape and has arrows on it so they know what way to angle every hair.

With super fine swiss lace and a thin layer of basebond, there is no reason anyone should know you where, even if your piece hair is 1/2 inch long.

hairtech_

Reaction score
Yeah be careful of that hairpiece man... you don't want tension alopecia and hurting the new grafts... but I understand your delimma too. :badmood:

Reaction score
I'm starting to regret having a hair transplant from what I am reading on this thread. My doctor told me he could get close to the same density of my hair piece. If it turns out thin then I don't know what I've accomplished except looking worse possibly. Not to sound negative but I've spent a ton of money on this so far and I hope that it turns out the way I was sold on it. This is the reason I'm thinking of putting the next grafts in the front where the first ones went to thicken the area up. I'm only four months into it so I don't know what the final result will be yet. I'd wear a lace piece on the crown if I put the next grafts in the front. My hair on the back and sides is very thick so if the hair on top turns out thin it is going to look very off balanced. I don't want to look like I am balding so I really hope it comes in thick enough to match the hair on the sides and back even if it takes two passes. Otherwise I've spent a lot of money for nothing. I did cover all of this with the doctor before the procedure and he said it wouldn't be a problem so maybe I'm getting worried over nothing.

CCS

Reaction score
this is why you should wait at least a year to see how thick the grafts you got will look. If they are not that thick, then you will know that a second round won't do much either. Sounds like you are very bald, like NW5 or something. I doubt there is much they can do for a NW5. Let me guess, your front hair line is no where near NW1 because "that would make you look like a teenager." That is BS, and is just the hair transplant docs way of excusing the ineffectiveness of their procedure.

What kind of piece are you wearing? I bet the back takes most of the time to attach because you have to work in the mirror. If I were you, I'd shave the top and pay $20 extra for a full top with temple flaps attached. Since you just want ease, you can go with french lace, and maybe a 1/4 inch poly perimeter if detectability is not a huge concern, though I really think all lace is better. Maybe have swiss in the very front and temples. That would cost you $215 at toplace. Start with 65% density, and send them a hair sample from your sides so they can color match it exactly. It should last you at least 2 month, probably 4 if you are careful, but maybe even 1 year. How many years of pieces would the hair transplant money last you? Get two pieces so you can just change and then clean the other one at your leasure. They have glues that will hold it even swimming under water.

Reaction score
Dear Collegechemistrystudet,

Thanks for your advice it is appreciated. I agree I should probably wait longer than six months for another procedure and I am going to find out what the doctor's reason is for suggesting the second procedure that quickly. Your opinion is very important to me and members like you are who I am learning so much from. I'm not sure though how a second pass couldn't make the results better. I would think if I had a total of 5000 grafts in the font half of my head it would have to appear somewhat dense. The bald area on top of my head isn't too wide. I am 46 so I don't need or want a hairline of an 18 year old but on the other hand I don't want one that is going to make me look like I am balding either. I am a NW5 according to my doctor. I am bald in the front and crown with hair across the top center of my head. I have seen photos on line of various doctors work who have taken NW6 patients and provided what looks like a great hairline and density (at least in the front). I have been reading about mega sessions as well which have shown some very impressive results.

I wear a lace piece. I've worn the lace style for about five years but I've worn a replacement for 20 years. I will admit that the lace ones look more natural than any I have worn before but they are HUGE maintenance and I do catch people looking at my hair which tells me they know. They are also expensive, and forget about anyone trying to run their fingers through your hair because THEY WILL FEEL IT. Between the cost of the piece, the special services and products which the wearer is strapped with for the rest of their life I just couldn't take it any more. Another thing is, the place I go to for services... if you need to get in between appointments for any kind of emergency you are screwed because they are so booked up they can't work you in so you have to wait and suffer until your next appointment. This kind of stress is unacceptable for me. Also I couldn't imagine as I get older like when I'm in my 80's and maybe frail dealing with the stress of putting this thing on and taking it off. I change it every three days for hygiene purposes. Anyone that doesn't do that can't tell me that it isn't non hygienic. I will probably get a lace piece for the crown and that will be a piece of cake to deal with after what I have been wearing. I wouldn't need anything for my temples since they are fine. Anyway I guess the bottom line is to wait and see what happens. Do you wear a piece or have you had a hair transplant or both?

CCS

Reaction score
You go to a service place to have it done? i guess getting the back right is harder. I just don't think I'll have any trouble attaching my front piece. The only thing I'm concerned about is the glue remover ruining the hair dye faster. I also am skeptical about the old glue coming off the piece fast. But I think attachment will be a breeze for me.

I don't have a piece yet, but I'll be mailing off my custom order soon.

If people see your piece, it is because you got a low quality one, or did not custom match it, or put it on wrong. I am completely convinced that good hair pieces can't be seen. I've also read that swiss lace can't be felt either.

I'm sure maintanance is hard for a NW5, since you have to see in back. I think the crown is just as hard as a whole piece. If you are going to take the time to put a crown piece on, you should do the whole head and skip the grafts. Just go to toplace and read about custom pieces.

Reaction score
Collegechemistrystudent,

I go to my stylist once a month to have my hair cut and colored. Are you planning on doing that yourself? The back of the replacement is much, much easier to work with than the front and any hair piece wearer will tell you this. The back is extremely easy to work with and blend in. The nightmare is the front. The front is the weak point of any replacement. It is the most visible and must be fussed with to look just right. If you are planning on using glue (and that does allow for the most natural appearance) then get ready for a mess. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but I think you need to know the facts from someone that has worn a piece for 20 years. I think others on this forum have given you the same advice. If truly you are only slightly bald then I think a second pass with a hair transplant might make you happier the end. However, many of us learn through experience. If you plan on changing your piece every two days you should be fine as far as the glue staying put is concerned. The real pain is going to be getting the glue out of the lace. There were times where I wanted to throw the piece in the trash. One tip. If you take the lace and run it down a mirror that will get a lot of the glue out of the piece. You can also use solvents and alcohol to help get it out.

And no I did not have a low quality piece. I have the finest custom lace piece available. I'm not sure if you know this but 99% of all pieces come from about two companies. All of my pieces were matched with my hair sample and it was never put on wrong. I NEVER ordered a piece from a mail order company. A mold was always made of my head for an exact fit. I am only missing hair in the front of my head and the crown. I have hair on the top center and my bald area is fairly narrow so if that is a Norwood 5 then that is what I am but regardless of the Norwood scale the maintenance will be the same whether you have a full head piece which I didn't or a partial piece. It will just be smaller and maybe take less time but the type of maintenance will be the same. And remember if you are under 35 you could still have a lot of hair to lose. If you are under 35 you may be a Norwood 1, 2 or 3 now but after 35 you could be higher on the Norwood scale. Any reputable doctor will tell you this. Take this advice for whatever it is worth. This is coming from someone that has worn hair replacements for 20 years and have tried every conceivable type. I am not here to encourage or discourage you. You will be the one ultimately that needs to decide if it is for you. However, I wouldn't be sold on the virtues of a replacement before you have worn one for any length of time. After you have worn one for a few years see if you are still singing their praises. However, if you are under 35 a hair piece might be the best way to go until it is determined the amount of hair you will end up losing. Good luck.

CCS

Reaction score
yes, I cut my own hair with buzzers. I'm good at it and it takes 5 minutes and gets me compliments. I won't go to a salon. They can't do a perfect job of cutting my hair, so I won't trust them with a piece.

Did you match the curl of your hair and the direction and angle it comes out of your scalp, so that everything looked continuous? What density did you use?

I've seen many pics of hair pieces, and they looked great, except the stock ones were not an exact color match, and some guys did not build up their temples to match the hairline, or had too straight of a hair line. So that makes me question your results.

The back is much more difficult than the front. The only reason hair wearers think the back is easier is they don't have to do as good a job on the back for it to not be noticeable from 6 feet away. But if that is your mentality, it is no wonder people see it especially in back. You should put the same care into the whole perimeter as you do the hairline, or else you know why you got detected. It is a lot easier to work on something that is right on your forehead where you can see it.

The only thing I'll maybe agree with you on is that getting glue out of the base might be a little more time consuming that I'd like. I think the perimeter will take less time, but removing the stuff in the center will take more time. But I'll have 4 pieces that I rotate, so it won't be a big deal.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
CCS - Hair Come Back is trying to give you a point of view derived from 20 years of experience. You are speaking from a position of utter inexperience, with opinions based solely upon the forum speak of an internet wig seller. I suggest you take his words under advisement as opposed to automatically rejecting them.

Despite your hopes and dreams, this will not be the "sure-fire" solution to getting laid that you think it is.

Reaction score
And it's not going to be fun when she or he runs their hands through your hair and feels the piece and trust me they will. It is best to let anyone you plan to be intimate with know you have the piece to avoid embarrassment and ruin the moment.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CCS when are you getting this lace wig? Before Christmas? I would love to see what one of these can do for density

CCS

Reaction score
You can get as much density as you want. The reason the out dated pieces look wiggy is they have too much density, to hide the obvious base. I thought you wanted an integration system to add hair to your current hair. There is no way you'd hide that from a woman. If you get lace, you need to shave the area, but you can do any area you want.

Reaction score
CCS,

You are right. A hair piece with too much density does make it look "wiggy". Lower density is better for a more natural look. However, hair pieces shed hair just as your own head does. Because of that when a piece is ordered with less density it will also need to be replaced on a more frequent basis. I am getting a new one tomorrow and the one on my head now is REALLY thin. It looks like I am going bald! That is another reason to keep a back up. How does this intergration system you mentioned work? I've heard of it before but don't know anyone that has used it.

Reaction score
P.S. Even with lace if the hair on the piece gets thin you WILL see the base. It is however hands down the most natural look when applied with glue. It blends in with the skin where the glue is.

Reaction score
Gillenator,

Here is the response I got from my doctor concerning the second procedure in six months.

Let me deal with your questions, which are very relevant.
I would not be doing your procedure in 6 months if you only have 80% of your
hairs growing out. That was never my intention. The reality is, for some
patients, by 4 months. 80% to as much as 95% of the hairs are growing out,
meaning that by 6 months, we could expect that close to, if not all, 100% of
the hairs would be growing. Anything less than that would be an indication
for holding off on a second procedure for another 2 to 3 months, or even
more.
So, by no means would I ever consider compromising your long term results.
However, every experienced surgeon knows that, around 30% of patients (or at
least from my 15 years of experience) display 95% plus growth by 6 months.
Now by saying growth, these hairs may be just coming to the surface, but
they do show were they are, making it quite possible to avoid damaging them.
Now obviously, if we determine that, come early January, that you are not
one of those 30%, then by all means I would absolutely recommend holding off
for a few months.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well girls like 2 toutch the hair and if they toutch it with a hair peace... they can feel the botom and most girls dont look to posetiv on hair peace`s. Its sad to say it but i think my girl would have run the other way if i had a hair peace. It alsow shines unsecurity and thats something girl dont like either.
And i could imagine having something like that glued on youre head to be very bothering.
ive looked at some of the sites and yes they look and feel greate on top, but if someone brushed their fingers through youre hair they would notice.
think id rather shave my hair if i lose the fight in the future.
Or maibe HM will be awaalebul in 10 years. Who knows.
Maibe in 20 years male pattern baldness will be just a easy fixebol thing.
Now im rambeling again hehe :shock: .
1 Last thing to CCS: I dont think you will ever be pleased with youre hair or youre body/muscle tone,
It looks like there will always be something 2 fix + im guesing youre in the midt 20`s and soon im guesing you will be panicking about aging 2 :woot:

Sorry about the bad english: John