Done with minoxidil. products........continual shedding

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe that for some individuals minoxidil is counterproductive. After numerous attempts with numerous minoxidil products and strengths I have once again abandoned treatment in my tenth week. The shedding that took me from fairly unnoticeable diffuse thinning on top to an extremely noticeable hair loss situation has left me EXTREMELY upset and depressed. I have to conclude (completely unscientifically as I am not a scientist utilizing scientific studies) that for some, definitely me, minoxidil is counterproductive to the goals that we want to achieve. Even Rogaine's manufacturer expresses concern about continual shedding two weeks beyond the 4 week mark. Ten weeks is the longest I allowed the shedding to occur. My past experiences have yielded recovery in about four to six months. I have almost always noted immediate decreases in shedding hair upon cessation of the minoxidil. Obviously the shed hair takes months to grow in. I just hope this time recovery will be the same as in the past. I will shortly begin using a copper peptide solution in hopes of speeding recovery from the horrible shed. My sheds have always been massive regardless of the strength of the minoxidil. or the delivery vehicle. I have never shed with proscar despite having been on it for over a decade. I suspect that there will be some evidence that will surface at some point in time that minoxidil. can be very detremental to certain individuals. I know what so many have said about the shedding but I suspect there may be two different types of sheds........one which is expected in some indiv. and ultimately leads to stronger hair production and another that simply causes too much loss and too frequent cycling resulting in a rapid acceleration of the balding process. I believe these two types of sheds could be present in other treatments as well such as propecia. I've read some horror stories about propecia sheds and they sound similar to what I experienced with minoxidil. I'd like to hear some feed back on this as I am certain that I am not the only one who has experienced this and has these concerns. Just to elaborate on my experiences with minoxidil. - it seems as though it loosens the hair and alows it to continually release itself from the follicle. I have even experimented stopping a few days and sure enough less fall out. Start again, and, yeah, you guessed it..........fall out immediately increases. I went from a slow gradual loss to people noticing a problem in only ten weeks. What was I gonna do? Wait another ten and have twice the hair loss? NO WAY! It's bad enough now, no way am I lettin' it get worse. I simply do not believe that kind of loss is a good thing as so many have suggested. I think at this point I will be able to recover from the shed. Had I continued for a protracted period of time I would suspect there would be a point of no return. Wish me luck and let me know your own experiences. I will advise on my recovery from this really bad experience with Minoxidil. Those bottles are banished once and for all TODAY!.................never again will I experiment with this caustic agent.

Axon

Reaction score
Take photos, document this. It could be helpful and will allow for objectivity.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some overhead photos from a couple of years back but I vacillate between long hair and flat-tops. The flat tops make it very hard, picture wise, to tell. I have a flat-top now, so naturally as it grows out it will appear thicker...........I think........this time, like I said, the loss was substantial. I'll take some over head photos today. This is the first time that the flat-top is not keeping solid sides because of the loss. Fill me in on how to post pictures on this site and I will share.

Axon

Reaction score
Well, I don't know if HairLossTalk.com provides webspace, but feel free to send me the photos and I will host them. You could also get your own geocities page, which you're probably better off doing.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a young guy (In-valid) who adds his pictures in with his posts. I'll have to ask him how he does it.

Axon

Reaction score
Oh, that's simple enough. I though you actually needed space to host the images.

Quote my post for the hideous secret....ohhhh! :)

hititbush1.jpg

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
x5o

You were not on the treatment long enough. 4 weeks?

I shed for 5 to 6 weeks when I first went on Propecia. Nonstop.

You need patience to use these treatments, and you need to read the article we put out on Shedding so you understand what is going on.

It confuses me that we put this article up (look at the top left corner of this very page) and the past two weeks we've seen even more posts with complete misunderstanding on how shedding works, what it is, and why you ride it out. Asking questions that were directly answered in the article.

Please make use of the continuing education we provide our users by reading the articles, not just posting.

Hair loss during a Rogaine shed is not permenantly lost, and it can last longer than 4 weeks. You should not expect any results for 6 months minimum.

HairLossTalk.com

hoping

Established Member
Reaction score
exactly you werent even close to being on the treatment long enough....and when you did get close yoU quit which made you go back in progress.....all hair treatments require a good amount of time and dedication.

hoping

Established Member
Reaction score
rogaine 5% has done super wonders for me doulbe if nto tripled my density grew back temples. now i bumped it up to 15% after one year and i apply only once a day and my hair regrowth has once again gone into full throttle my temples are growing back even more.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
I was in my tenth week, not fourth.

I did read the article, it was very informative.

I still think there exist two catagories of sheds as stated above. (Again, just my speculation from personal experience.)

There has got to be a point, where enough is enough with all the shedding.

Lasting ten weeks with that ridiculous shedding to the point of neednig to wear a hat was all the patience I had!

I think it is great that many get good results from the minoxidil., unfortunately I don't think I was ever going to respond well.

Good luck to you all.

DonLapre

Reaction score
hoping said:
rogaine 5% has done super wonders for me doulbe if nto tripled my density grew back temples. now i bumped it up to 15% after one year and i apply only once a day and my hair regrowth has once again gone into full throttle my temples are growing back even more.

How old are you? and how long have you been losing hair? I'm 22 and I started losing it about 2 years ago. I just ordered propecia and rogaine, plus I have used nizoral 2 times so far. Tell me what you think? :)

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Closer to 40 than 30.
Hair problems since 17. (pull my posts for the whole story)
The things you've ordered are proven products.........proscar worked great for me, I just don't seem to tolerate the minoxidil. well. Keep in mind you could have a good response with the minoxidil. Some curse it, others swear it works great, same goes for the proscar.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
read the article we put out on Shedding so you understand what is going on.

(the article in question

Thats a good article! When people ask about shedding, we should just link to that.

It was very informative, but my favorite part was the picure of Nirvana
nirv.jpg

As if Kurt ever had to worry about hairloss,. he had a serious mop untill he used it to decorate his ceiling,. (whyd you do it, Kurt?)