Don in California's story

Don In CA

Reaction score
I started noticing my hair thinning out when I was 32 years old. Then I heard of Propecia when I was 35. It has kept my hair thick in most places except my hairline. I was starting to recede into an island widow's peak, but had thick and long enough hair to grow it long and show only half of a receding hair line. At 47, I looked into getting hair transplant surgery. I first went to Bosley, but the price scared me away and their client service was not what I expected. I then went to another doctor (former Bosley doctor) and quoted me half the price. I was initially told 1200 would cover my Class 2A condition. I kept asking if I could do more, and they said they would do 1400 at the 1200 price. Even on the day of the procedure, I asked if they could do more and he said 1400 was enough. Then as the day went on, he agreed that I could use more and did 2000 grafts, all at the 1200 price.

It has been 5 weeks now and I can only wait to see what the result will be. I still lose hair on the shower floor and hope that they are hairs that will regrow. I still have some numbness and it is still a bit sore in the donor area (tightness, no infection). I got my first haircut since the procedure today and the woman who cut my hair didn't notice anything until I told her, then she looked at my scars in the donor area and said that it would have been the only thing she would have indicated my procedure. She has been cutting my hair for 5 years.

I am still a bit nervous about how many more procedures that I might need, but my main goal is to just keep my current hair line, even though the doctor added back about a half to 3/4 of an inch to my hair line.

Just curious on how people dealt with their recovery, how much time they took off work (I talked to my boss before the hair transplant and we agreed I could work nights for one week. I am taking just a generic Finasteride now and not Propecia. This is just to protect my donor hairs which I have plenty.