does this sound like diffuse AA? home remedies?

dariush11214

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a 33-year-old male. Last year was extremely stressful. I was depressed, hyperventilating at night, lots of crying. At the same time a very high platelet count in a blood test got me a call from the doctor, who put my immune system on watch. Around this time I noticed I was losing more hair than usual in the shower. The hair on my sides also rapidly turned white.

A year later my immune system is back to normal and my emotional health is a lot better than it was last year. Several months ago I felt a range of very small hairs - a few millimeters - all over my head, which I assume are those lost hairs growing back. Problem is, they've been stuck at this stage since they came back. I still have plenty of hair, but for what it's worth, I'd like to get these guys back in the game as well.

Questions: does this sound like diffuse alopecia areata? If not, what does it sound like? Can you recommend any home treatments? I don't want to resort to steroid injections and medicine unless there's absolutely no other options.

Thanks so much in advance.

Joann

Reaction score
Hi dariush,

It's not easy to diagnose diffuse Alopecia Areata because it mimics Telogen Effluvium. If you noticed hair loss anywhere else on your body that can be an indicator that it is diffuse AA not Telogen Effluvium. You are having regrowth which is good news. If these are vellus hairs
you're seeing it can take awhile for them to grow into terminal hair .

I don't know of any home treatments that would. There are topical lotions containing cortisone that can be prescribed by a derm. You don't necessarily need to go to injections or meds.

Joann

Last edited:

asad ali

Reaction score
It's not easy to diagnose diffuse Alopecia Areata because it mimics Telogen Effluvium. If you noticed hair loss anywhere else on your body that can be an indicator that it is diffuse AA not Telogen Effluvium. You are having regrowth