Does RU58841 make your androgen receptors more sensitive?

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Simple question, might be a complex answer. I've seen great results from topical RU, yet sometimes you hear that RU might make you receptors more sensitive by blocking them all the time. Is this true? That would mean that, when RU isn't available anymore or you have to stop using it (due to sides or whatever), you hair loss might be accelerated a lot..

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
Simple question, might be a complex answer. I've seen great results from topical RU, yet sometimes you hear that RU might make you receptors more sensitive by blocking them all the time. Is this true? That would mean that, when RU isn't available anymore or you have to stop using it (due to sides or whatever), you hair loss might be accelerated a lot..
This could be true because there is so many horror stories where people miss just one day and their hair goes down the drain. I would t expect the body to work differently in the scalp. When we take a drug for a long time, we build a sort of immunity to it and usually need higher doses of it. One thing to keep in mind is that it has been well recorded that when someone is sick and on medicine and then they drop the medication because they supposedly feel good, the disease comes back with a vengeance. This is also true with minoxidil, if you drop it, prepare to feel the wrap of the hair loss gods.
So yes, I do think that is the case and it does become more sensative but with RU you also get great results.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm quite sure that isn't the case with minoxidil. Minoxidil grows hair and when you quit minoxidil, you'll lose these recently gained hairs fast. I don't think however, that the balding process is necessarily speeded up.
In the RU case the actual balding process would go faster due to the increased sensitivity of the androgen receptors.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Certainly possible. I think a lot of anti androgens like propecia might suffer from this same where your hair is basically more sensitive to androgens after using it for a long period of time because your hair adjusts to the lower androgens and receptors adjust/adapt. Like most stuff though we just guess because I dont think anyone knows the answers to this. Given how much we dont know about male pattern baldness I think its silly to claim that its not at all possible. I think taking propecia could accelerate male pattern baldness in certain people after they stop using it. We dont really know how receptors respond if they go back to normal after using it

acquiesce

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone been on RU for a longer period? is it working and are there any sides? After quitting propecia 2-3 months ago after 7 years of usage i´m looking for an alternative. I was a really good responder to finasteride, kept hair and gained hair, over the last 2 years it has thinned a bit but mainly quit due to my low libido. I´ve been off for 2.5 months and i,m feeling more manly...desires on a daily basis and feel more male in general. Anyway i read about some side effects on the heart from RU and wondered if anyone has experienced this or it´s a bit of fear-mongering? Currently i just use regenepure...never used this whilst on finasteride, now i´m looking for other options. Been seriously considering revivogen therapy but i just dont know. How about Kanes ready made formula?

cheers

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Any news about this issue? Main reason I won't start RU for now.

Also, if this is true, could we say the same about spironolactone? Or does spironolactone work in a slighty other way?

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
If user Brian were still around he could prob tell you. If I remember well he once mentioned that jamming the AR too long could cause it to "fire" even without stimulus by androgens. But do not know how substantiated this is. And if there is any RL experience.

abcdefg

Reaction score
We need more studies into how receptors work and how they react to things like RU or propecia. Maybe CB in a few years will finally shed some light on this if they actually look into that. Its certainly a pretty big piece of how all AAs would work so its pretty important to understand the sensitivity piece. Also androgens still are the most proven and logical cause of male pattern baldness if you just think about it. Tons of women are 70 years old with zero hair loss while that is very rare for men so male hormones fit exactly.
It would be nice to see some actual concrete AA product that works topically though. I mean 20 years after propecia is a pretty long time