Does Nizoral shampoo alone really stop hair thinning/loss?

adamt

Reaction score
Hi,

I read on here Nizoral shampoo( i have 2%) is vital for anyone trying to stop hair loss,

but how effective have others found Nizoral 2% shampoo in stopping hair loss/thinning?

- also how much should i use for each wash?
as i got the 100ml, and the bottle is small so wont last long!

ive noticed over the last few months the front of my hair is thinner - only noticeable when wet though

thanks

Tdevil

Established Member
Reaction score
It probably won't have any effect as a stand-alone treatment (maybe help you maintain a bit longer-??) but is supposed to work great in conjuntion with minoxidil & finasteride.

adamt

Reaction score
thanks tdevil,

i dont want to take tablets/medication,

so which are advisable creams to take alongside using Nizorelle (1%) twice weekly

CCS

Reaction score
Tdevil said:
It probably won't have any effect as a stand-alone treatment (maybe help you maintain a bit longer-??) but is supposed to work great in conjuntion with minoxidil & finasteride.

We don't know how powerful nizoral is as a stand alone hair loss stopper. It was only tested for 6 months, and regrew as much hair has 2% minoxidil, which is more than propecia. It is cheaper than propecia and works on the whole scalp.

We don't know exactly how it works, and how strong each aspect is. It is anti-inflammatory, which not only stimulates growth, but might slow the balding process. And has been shown in one test to be an androgen receptor blocker enough to reduce sebum output by 20%.

In my opinion, it may be strong enough as a stand alone product. But since we don't know for sure, I advise any adult who does not get side effects from finasteride to take finasteride with it.

As for me, I take finasteride for extra kick because I can. In my opinion, the nizoral is the main pillar of my regimen, which is why I use it every day and make sure it soaks in 5 to 10 minutes.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
in short: no, not likely. In my experience at least.

It WILL slow things down, at best maybe maintain for a while, but don't expect any regrowth. Most people seem to report a slight thickening when used with finasteride or minoxidil, but that's it.
Regrowth has been reported in some studies, though, (using a keto gel, I believe. Inui et al, look it up on pubmed.), but it was in less than half of the group, and not that much.

I used to be pretty psyched about keto, but after using the stuff for 12 months, I don't really see any difference, except maybe a slight thickening. (on the other hand, my dandruff- which used to be a problem, is completely gone, which is nice).

It's considered a part of the big 3, but basically it's just a nice little add- on to keep your scalp clean.

Using only keto as a hail Mary, is probably not going to accomplish anything, sorry.

brightside

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd say its more for helping scalp condition for potential regrowth, Keto can be harsh on the hair and certainly dries my hair out, so I'm not using it as much.

CCS

Reaction score
I use 1% nizoral every day, and I love how it feels. I am going to grind up my spironolactone and put it in my piroctone olamine shampoo, and rotate that with the nizoral till gone.

Nizoral 2x per week regrows as much hair as minoxidil 2% every day. Better than just improving scalp condition.

CCS

Reaction score
NW4, diffuse on top and vertex. Used to have a huge NW4 forehead, but was grafted back to a thin NW2 of maybe 30% density.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There was a thread on here a while back with a guy who had diffuse crown thinning.

He used Nizoral 2% shampoo everyday for 6months and his crown looked noticeable thicker in the before and after photos. He allowed the shampoo to stay in his scalp for 10mins+ each time.

It wasn't a spectacular improvement that you'd see with a big 3 regimen, but still definitely better than before. I think nizoral does definitely help to maintain and grow slightly, but to use it effectively by itself, you would have to apply it almost everyday and for longer than 5minutes each time, which wouldn't be good for the condition of your hair.

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We don't know how powerful nizoral is as a stand alone hair loss stopper. It was only tested for 6 months, and regrew as much hair has 2% minoxidil, which is more than propecia. It is cheaper than propecia and works on the whole scalp.

We don't know exactly how it works, and how strong each aspect is. It is anti-inflammatory, which not only stimulates growth, but might slow the balding process. And has been shown in one test to be an androgen receptor blocker enough to reduce sebum output by 20%.

In my opinion, it may be strong enough as a stand alone product. But since we don't know for sure, I advise any adult who does not get side effects from finasteride to take finasteride with it.

As for me, I take finasteride for extra kick because I can. In my opinion, the nizoral is the main pillar of my regimen, which is why I use it every day and make sure it soaks in 5 to 10 minutes.
Using nizoral everyday doesn't irritate your scalp

abcdefg

Reaction score
male pattern baldness right now is simple really. Take finasteride and pray to the gods it works for you or accept that male pattern baldness will get worse before it gets better and hope it kind of slows or stops on its own.
Feel free to add nizoral and minoxidil for more help but these 2 alone will not replace finasteride or stop male pattern baldness alone in MOST cases.
You cant beat male pattern baldness without finasteride heck its tough to win even with it, but your buying time. That is the key because in another 5 maybe a CB is enough to beat male pattern baldness for good we dont know.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it just depends. People on here like to say without an oral DHT inhibitor you are fucked. But this is not true for everyone. Plenty of people maintain with topicals. Keto will help but alone will not stave off male pattern baldness. It is also pretty toxic stuff taken orally so slathering it on your scalp and leaving it there everyday in cream version is probably not best.