Does coffee/caffeine inhibit the effects of oral minoxidil ?

he_who_dares_wins

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is caffeine an antagonist of minoxidi? If so, would consuming oral minoxidil along with coffee/caffeine negate the effects of minoxidil on hair?

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No I don't think that's how it works. One drug doesn't act as at antagonist or agonist of another. Rather it blocks or stimulates a receptor process in your body. But I get what you're trying to say. Since caffeine increases blood pressure/heart rate, and beta blockers decrease blood pressure/hear rate; consuming both should cancel out the effects, right? Well maybe. But it all depends on how they achieve the cardiac results. Because there are different pathways and processes within the body that can lead to those changes. Here's what I found from Google:

Caffeine
Caffeine is a CNS stimulant, it blocks the action of adenosine on its receptors and consequently prevents the onset of drowsiness induced by adenosine. This actually leads the body to increase adenosine, which increases renin, which increases BP. Caffeine also effects the heart by increasing rate and contraction. It does so by increasing calcium concentration in heart muscles as well as stimulating epinephrine.

Beta-Blockers​

Beta blockers are competitive antagonists that block the receptor sites for the endogenous catecholamines epinephrine (adrenaline) and norepinephrine (noradrenaline) on adrenergic beta receptors, of the sympathetic nervous system, which mediates the fight-or-flight response

Cardiac Effects

• Decrease contractility
    (negative intropy)
  • Decrease relaxation rate
    (negative lusitropy)
  • Decrease heart rate
    (negative chronotropy)
  • Decrease conduction velocity
    (negative dromotropy)
So in a sense maybe. It seems to have oppositional effects as well as synergetic effects. Caffeine alongside non selective beta blockers are both vasodilator. Increasing peripheral vasodilation will increase blood flow to the scalp and ultimately hair follicles thus growth.
It's hard to find the use of both drugs for hair growth. Ultimately you'll have to be your own guinea pig.