Does anyone like System of a Down?

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes, listening to it makes vellus hairs turn dark. Unfortunatley, everything beofre Metallica's Black album makes the vertex thin.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Does anyone think solutions like minoxidil have increased chance of system absorption of the active ingredient or applying on a dry scalp cuts chances of a side-effect down to a minimum?

I think he is on topic but "foggy mind" made him skip one or two.

JackWhite

Reaction score
Does anyone actually know what BYOB stands for?

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Bring Your Own Beer
Bring Your Own B*tches
Bring Your Own Buckshot
Babes You Only Bang
Begging Your Only Brother
Beware Your Odor Brews

and many more...

G

Bring Your Own Bomb

And yes SOAD is probably my favorite band of all time. Out of all 4 their albums, there is only 3 songs I dont really care for. I love every other song by them and thats saying a lot coming from me, a person with a very short attention span.

fred

Reaction score
:punk: Headbanging stimulate hair growth, that's why heavy metalers always have long hair. :band: :punk:

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
I find their new album to be softer than the previous 3 and I personally think there is too much of Daron's influence on this album and not enough of Serj and the others. To me one of the main appeals of the bands music is Serj's vocals which are unique and his lyrics which can be vague yet so descriptive at the same time. Nothing against Daron, who is a great musician, but him screaming lyrics at the top of his lungs does nothing but make them sound like any other rock band that can come up with a couple good riffs.

I'm rambling but, if you look back at their better songs from all four albums the more memorable ones like Chop Suey!, Toxicity, Sugar, and Spiders all had the music written by Daron and the lyrics were written by Serj. For some reason the band feels that if Daron helps with the lyrics he has to yell his contributions at some point during the song, I guess he's the one pulling the strings behind the scenes. Mezmerize is only one part of material they put together this time in the studio, I believe the second part is called Hypnotize which will be released later this year or next. Unfortunately I don't have high hopes for that cd because I believe most of the music and lyrics for that cd were all done by Daron who seems to be taking over the band. If I recall only two of the tracks on Mezmerize were played by the bassist Shavo, on the rest of the tracks Daron played both lead and bass, but whatever.

Personally my favorite album has to be the first one, which is self-titled, because it comes out of the corner swinging and keeps that up for the first 3 tracks. By the forth track you are lulled into a false sense of calm only to be violently awaken from your daze by music that would send your grandmother into cardiac arrest. By the fifth track you are treated to one of the more artistic songs that the band has ever done with its calming yet powerful vocals sung by Serj Tankian. For the next three tracks you can't help but get some of the catchy and offbeat lyrics stuck in your head for days to come, I still find myself singing "stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other" occasionally. If there was a weak spot on the cd it would have to be track 9, which can cause people to miss out on tracks 10, 11 and 12 which is what happened in my case. It wasn't until months later that I really listened to those tracks and it was like finding unreleased tracks on an entirely different cd. The cd finishes with classic System of a Down which starts off sounding like a person suffering from dementia and then calmly improves to a mere case of schizophrenia only to regress back into the darkness of mental instability.

Anyways they are a favorite band of mine too if you didn't realize. :lol:

G

Mezmerize is awesome. My only complaint is that its so short. I guess thats because its the first part of a double album. I love Daron's voice especially when Daron and Serj sing together. Their voices harmonize extremely well. I prefer Serj's writing, but I love how the last couple of albums have Daron singing more.

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
When they harmonize it's great, Chop Suey! is a good example, but I have never really been a fan of people screaming lyrics because it really doesn't take any talent to do that.

I would have to put Mezmerize in a tie for third with Steal this Album by my personal preferance. While they are both good albums they just don't equal that of their early work, in my opinion of course.

Melbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Well actually they dont have great hair wezz... look at the guitarist...

But yes, SOAD has had massive rotation in my stereos over the years...

If you like System of a Down, try Mars Volta or Sparta. Mars Volta in particular are some of the most amazing and creative musicians around, full stop. Try their albun Commatorium... the new one Frances the Mute is a strange musical journey, where Commatorium follows a more traditional Album structure... either way, its loud and fuckin mad.

Right... thats it, im putting it on now...

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
Ya, the bassist Shavo shaves his head, but he pulls it off quite well which could be due to the braided beard, I don't know.

I'll check out Sparta, the names sounds familiar but I can't recall if I have ever heard anything of theirs, and I don't really like Mars Volta.

And for anyone that likes heavier music like SOAD you have to pick up Dave Grohl side project cd Probot that came out a few years ago. I have been turned on to a few bands that have been around for years but never get much air play so you would really have to be around the music scene to of ever heard their music. I love finding bands that have been around for awhile and finding out that I really like their music, it's like Christmas Day everytime that happens. Corrosion of Conformity is a great example, the track on the Probot album is so f*****g tight that I have had it on repeat the entire time I have been writing this. :yeah:

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
system of a down suck ***.. how can you even compare them to the mars volta or sparta?? well.. the mars volta at least.. sparta isnt all that wonderful..

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
VOVVIE said:
system of a down suck ***.. how can you even compare them to the mars volta or sparta?? well.. the mars volta at least.. sparta isnt all that wonderful..

Yeah I wouldn't compare SOAD to the Mars Volta... SOAD is a thousand times better than those crappy eunechs in the Mars Volta. The only times I've ever found the Mars Volta entertaining is when I'm high, enough said.

JackWhite

Reaction score
Exactamondo, how the hell can you compare SOAD to Mars Volta?? The Volta suck!!!!

If you guys really wanna hear something kool you should check out Mr Bungle or Opeth!