Does anyone do lace base with poly border?

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm on my first system, lace center and front with poly sides and back -- and I'm learning through experience that my next system might be lace center and poly border.

Lace hairline is a night mare in my opinion. Water bonds lift with sweat and showers, acrylic on lace is damaging and if you tape the hairline like I do then poly hairline is basically the same as you take away the lace hairline advantage at that point.

With poly borders it's easy clean up and the hairline can be used with ultrahold glue instead of tapes. It just seems more convenient. Lace center for breathability is also fantastic. I love lace for that.

This just seems perfect for me, anyone have experience with it? It has 130% density which I actually like, my 95% Ares sheds like crazy and this can help with longevity.

Just curious if anyone does poly border all around and would like their experiences and inputs with it.

DarthJoking

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've had a hybrid base hair system before and hated it.
Noticeable bump where the poly part was,and unlike full lace where you can spray lace release through the top side of the base. So that the tape stays on your head after. Getting the tape off your head you don't have to worry about rough methods like that.
Making cleaning the lace base easy using cotton wool.

However removing tape from a poly base, especially thin skin is a pain.
Which can tear the base if not careful,and cleaning it is tedious too.

I don't have an exposed hairline, so I use tape all round on a French lace base currently.

130% density is crazy,that's medium density,less is more. Higher densities gives it away that it's a hair system more likely.
I have 80% light density.
No shedding so far with mine.
Mine was from superhairpieces.

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've had a hybrid base hair system before and hated it.
Noticeable bump where the poly part was,and unlike full lace where you can spray lace release through the top side of the base. So that the tape stays on your head after. Getting the tape off your head you don't have to worry about rough methods like that.
Making cleaning the lace base easy using cotton wool.

However removing tape from a poly base, especially thin skin is a pain.
Which can tear the base if not careful,and cleaning it is tedious too.

I don't have an exposed hairline, so I use tape all round on a French lace base currently.

130% density is crazy,that's medium density,less is more. Higher densities gives it away that it's a hair system more likely.
I have 80% light density.
No shedding so far with mine.
Mine was from superhairpieces.
Thanks for your reply.

Strange I have had different experiences -- I do not feel a bump where poly starts. It's all flat and smooth throughout (Lavivid if it matters) -- and cleaning the poly is easier than cleraning the lace. Not sure why lace is easier to clean. Poly is flat and not porous so glue and tape doesn't seep through.

Mine sheds like crazy though. If you say 130% is too high I will take it into consideration.

DarthJoking

My Regimen
Reaction score
The hybrid hair system I had was from HairHub, and it was a custom.
But piss poor quality and unmatched hair colour.

Whereas the hair system I got now from SuperHairPieces is pretty nice.
Indian remy not European human hair but still pretty good.
Seems to be strong knots on the French lace base. And 80% density.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a hybrid system from the LaVivid which was 130% and I didn't like it. It was too dense and clean up is a pain in the ***. All lace base for me is much easier. It's a lighter feeling on your head. Some poly areas were hard to tack down but I believe it was a thicker poly all around the perimeter and sideburns. Just wasn't for me.

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had a hybrid system from the LaVivid which was 130% and I didn't like it. It was too dense and clean up is a pain in the ***. All lace base for me is much easier. It's a lighter feeling on your head. Some poly areas were hard to tack down but I believe it was a thicker poly all around the perimeter and sideburns. Just wasn't for me.

What was wrong with the clean up? Cause of density somehow? Or clean up on poly in particular?

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I get my systems from Lavivid and have serious shedding issues with them. They just about last 2-3 months. My current one already needs replacing after only 2 months. I get the Helios. Their customer service has been excellent though with me so I’m going to give them one more shot and see how get on with the next system in terms of shedding.

Agree with the others, lace is really easy to clean as long as you keep on top of it and remove it frequently so you don’t allow the bond to break down and seep through. However I currently wear tape perimeter and moving over to ghostbond soon so will see how much a difference the clean up will be.

I found Ares density to be high at 95% so 130% will defenitely be overkill

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I get my systems from Lavivid and have serious shedding issues with them. They just about last 2-3 months. My current one already needs replacing after only 2 months. I get the Helios. Their customer service has been excellent though with me so I’m going to give them one more shot and see how get on with the next system in terms of shedding.

Agree with the others, lace is really easy to clean as long as you keep on top of it and remove it frequently so you don’t allow the bond to break down and seep through. However I currently wear tape perimeter and moving over to ghostbond soon so will see how much a difference the clean up will be.

I found Ares density to be high at 95% so 130% will defenitely be overkill

Do you get your Helios at 90% or at 80%? And yeah the shedding is crazy. This is my first system so I can't gauge whether that's how systems are or if Lavivid is just not good in that dept.

Also as a person who has a Hybrid, the Ares, the poly is easy to clean. I am not sure what is hard about cleaning poly? I feel like I am missing something here. In fact when I was doing extensive research prior to purchasing a system, one of the pros of poly was easy clean up... so I'm a bit confused regarding the replies to that in this topic.

If I do end up getting the 130% unit though, I feel like when I get the system styled at a salon it can be thinned down some to look good enough.

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you get your Helios at 90% or at 80%? And yeah the shedding is crazy. This is my first system so I can't gauge whether that's how systems are or if Lavivid is just not good in that dept.

Also as a person who has a Hybrid ares the poly is easy to clean, I am not sure what is hard about cleaning poly? I feel like I am missing something here. In fact when I was doing extensive research prior to purchasing a system, one of the pros of poly was easy clean up... so I'm a bit confused regarding the replies to that in this topic.
90% and it never lasts me more than 3 months. I definitely wouldn’t get 80 it would be too light.

tbf I think they’re both easy to clean as long as you’re on top of it. Lace can surely be a nightmare if the bond has broken down and become all gooey cos it’ll get into the hair and cause a mess. But when spraying lace release over the tape before it breaks down it literally sticks to your head and there’s little to no residue on the lace to clean.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its usually called the "Australian" lace with poly perimeter. I have never had an issue getting one if required.

njtimer

Reaction score
Not trying to thread jack but, if not having an exposed hairline (keeping your existing hairline and the piece starting 1/2"-1" behind), what would be the best choice of base material in the front, or does that apply to using tape over glue in the front?

Technologic0280

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a hybrid lace with a poly border, and it works great for me. I am about to start using my 2nd one. I enjoy the ease of maintenance of the system, not using glue (I use walker tapes on the poly perimeter), its durability (Im on 14 months with it and its just beginning to show its age), and easily removing it every night (feels good!). I wont be switching to any other type of system any time in the forseeable future. I WILL be sending out my old system to be replicated vs. buying it from my salon to see how that goes. I cant imagine using messy glue; I place the tape on the perimeter, and they peel off easily without a mess. It never sticks to my scalp or leaves a mess. I wash the system as needed, which usually works out to be once a week or sometimes once every 2 weeks. I only use color safe shampoo, and spray in conditioner from my salon, both designed for hair systems. I never use styling spray, gel, or mousse; I find the spray in conditioner works fine for me in that regard.

Christoppp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a hybrid lace with a poly border, and it works great for me. I am about to start using my 2nd one. I enjoy the ease of maintenance of the system, not using glue (I use walker tapes on the poly perimeter), its durability (Im on 14 months with it and its just beginning to show its age), and easily removing it every night (feels good!). I wont be switching to any other type of system any time in the forseeable future. I WILL be sending out my old system to be replicated vs. buying it from my salon to see how that goes. I cant imagine using messy glue; I place the tape on the perimeter, and they peel off easily without a mess. It never sticks to my scalp or leaves a mess. I wash the system as needed, which usually works out to be once a week or sometimes once every 2 weeks. I only use color safe shampoo, and spray in conditioner from my salon, both designed for hair systems. I never use styling spray, gel, or mousse; I find the spray in conditioner works fine for me in that regard.
How long can you get a bond for with just the tape?

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where did you get your system from? 14 months is amazing. Also, which walker tape did you use?

Technologic0280

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where did you get your system from? 14 months is amazing. Also, which walker tape did you use?
I am honestly not sure *where they order it from. I know its lace, poly border, real human hair but synthetic white hairs (I think they said its a 30% blend right now).

I did a ton of reading on care and maintenance before committing to the system, and lurked on these forums for months. Watched youtube videos, followed a few creators on tiktok that work with systems too. It helped tremendously! I got the last system to the 14 month mark, I bet you I can get the new system I just got to the same, or maybe more. I will be more careful when I go biking and boating this summer (I wasn't that careful with my last system).

My Salon bags the walker tapes up and sells them for $3 a bag; they aren't labled walker but I know they are walker because I bought some off Amazon and they are identical. I will ask next time.

Oh, and Im wearing the 14 month old system today! I'd post pictures but I don't really know y'all yet :p

Technologic0280

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long can you get a bond for with just the tape?

I remove it every night now, but when I first got my system I would get about 3 days out of the tapes. But now I just remove system every night, put new tape on top of old tape on the poly perimeter - NOT my head - (once you get 3 of them, its real easy to peel off), and re-wear. My Salon sells the tapes for cheap. I buy 10 baggies of tapes at a time for $25 (I think there are 25 tapes to a bag?) and they give you 2 baggies free. YMMV

Last edited: