Does anyone belive that acne treatments lead to hairloss?

Mercury

Banned
Reaction score
There is this episode of American Dad where the main character is secretly bald and wears a wig. In the story he claims that he had really bad acne as a teenager and used too many topical treatments that caused his hair to thin out.

It's an interesting theory because I know I had really bad acne as a teenager and I used every kind of cream on the market to fight it. It makes sense that some of those chemicals could soak into the blood and affect hair folicles.

Eh?

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i am not sure but they are related in the sense that excess DHT is also connected to acne.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
DHT is related to acne. Too much will cause excessive oil production and acne face and thinning hair. I don't think topical treatments will cause male pattern baldness but only help. The only acne medication that may have an effect is accutane. It physically shrinks the sebaceous glands in your face and scalp. Some say this helps male pattern baldness, others say it exacerbates it.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was in a commercial awhile back and the lady who did my make up had applied makeup to Brad Pitt. She told me "they don't call him Brad Pitt for nothing."

Apparently he had terrible acne as a kid leaving his face scarred. And he has perfect hair. So there you go.

Mercury

Banned
Reaction score
^Thats funny. And true, baldness has been around long before acne medication. It is BS that a guy is riddled with acne and then goes bald. Next we can look forward to prostate cancer. Does DHT ever give us a break?

meetjoeblack

Established Member
Reaction score
There is this episode of American Dad where the main character is secretly bald and wears a wig. In the story he claims that he had really bad acne as a teenager and used too many topical treatments that caused his hair to thin out.

It's an interesting theory because I know I had really bad acne as a teenager and I used every kind of cream on the market to fight it. It makes sense that some of those chemicals could soak into the blood and affect hair folicles.

Eh?

In my situation, the use of proactive, over the counter drugs, prescription topicals, and eventially the worse, 4months of accutane did my hair in. I embrace it. I am not bald but it thinned out my hair. I hope to enjoy it for ten years. I'll try hollistic nutrition and everything i can. Acne ****ed up my happiness, social, and dating life. Cystic acne was horrible and resulted in scars. I eat so well for this to happen due to bad genetics.

Instead of freaking out, i approach girls, i study pua, and i meditate. Its not perfect but i wont give up.