Does a 15% minoxidil Treament Exist? How/where to buy?

mbehr22

Established Member
Reaction score
I read a post about a 15% solution ... is this a typo?

I thought 5% was the highest in production ... also, I would assume 15% would give much better results

15% - typo or truth?

beaner

Reaction score
Not a typo. You can get 12.5% minoxidil or 15% minoxidil/azalaic acid combo from minoxidil.com. If you are in the US you need to do a consultation with Dr Lee because anything above 5% requires a prescription. The consultation is 20 bucks which they tack on to your first order. You can also get 15% from genhair.com without a prescription.

mbehr22

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks!

is it worth it?

does the stronger product translate into better results?

does it come in a foam?

beaner

Reaction score
I can't say for sure that its worth it as I've never used either product. I did use a 12.5 lotion for a while, but I don't believe it worked any better than the 5%. With minoxidil, it's true that more is better, but you get 'diminishing returns' meaning that while a 15% solution has 3 times more minoxidil, you certainly won't regrow 3 times the hair that you would by using 5%. Personally, I would recommend that you forget about those and use the Rogaine foam. I think it's probably more effective than all of them.

Dr Lee's site is http://www.minoxidil.com You can send an email to regrowth@minoxidil.com and they will email you some consultation papers. You then need to physically mail them back to their office in California. (to have your signature on file I assume) You'll then get a consultation email from Dr Lee and can begin ordering.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah the 15% stuff definitely isn't worth it - it didn't work any better than the regular 5% minoxidil and probably doesn't even work as good as the new foam, which I'm lovin'.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Renegade said:
yeah the 15% stuff definitely isn't worth it - it didn't work any better than the regular 5% minoxidil and probably doesn't even work as good as the new foam, which I'm lovin'.
Do you speak from experience? Don't spread insolence.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
yes, I speak from using DL's 15% for 4 months. not worth the money or mess.

The foam is where it's at!

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Renegade said:
yes, I speak from using DL's 15% for 4 months. not worth the money or mess.

The foam is where it's at!
Then your opinion has merit! :)

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you can read my earlier posts. I have used all the products in Dr. Lee's website for the last 2-3 years. I am not saying they are fake, but IMHO rogaine foam is more cost effective and cosmetic-friendly. It is too early to speak for foam's results, but xandrox 15 didn't do much (if any) more than his regular 5% with azelaic acid.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking the 15% xandrox at night before bed with 5% spironolactone applied a few minutes later to the hairline. I use the foam in the AM b/c it is so convenient and gives me a great cosmetic appearance. I have been using it since october and there is mild improvement but I am not sure if I could have gotten it with the foam alone.

Dr Lee feels that minoxidil becomes dose dependent in a few yrs and that the higher does are more effective for 3 yrs then a maintainance program is appropo. IMHO, I am not so sure on that. I need to see more conclusive data on that.
It's a tough question to answer but hopefully success with the foam 2 x a day is what we would like to hear more of over the next few months/yrs.

Check out my thread on "are higher does of minoxidil more effective" there are a ton of responses and great exchanges on this topic.
Just scroll down, you'll find it.