Do you guys think this is exciting news?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh Pavi - the guy who regrew almost all his hair with minoxidil and now becomes so excited over everything. :) We need more people like you man. Who knows.. this is Christiano's work which was awesome with AA patients. Does this do even do anything for Androgenetic Alopecia? A completely different mechanism leading to hair loss. We need to consult the hair gods on this one, let me start my chant - SWOOOOOOOP!!!! SWOOOOOP?!?!?! CAN YOU HEAR ME??? SWOOOOOP!!! :D

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems like Aclaris has a bias towards Alopecia Areata. Two of their pipeline drugs are for AA...

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh Pavi - the guy who regrew almost all his hair with minoxidil and now becomes so excited over everything. :) We need more people like you man. Who knows.. this is Christiano's work which was awesome with AA patients. Does this do even do anything for Androgenetic Alopecia? A completely different mechanism leading to hair loss. We need to consult the hair gods on this one, let me start my chant - SWOOOOOOOP!!!! SWOOOOOP?!?!?! CAN YOU HEAR ME??? SWOOOOOP!!! :D

Haha... If I would be a hair god I would make it rain hair follicles mate! Unfortunately I'm nothing more than your average Joe

But this is great news for AA sufferers, no doubt. I'm happy for them.

I'm most excited about the Tsuji news. I think the guy is going to grow hair if he reaches human clinical trials. Everything else aside from Replicel is kinda irrelevant to me at this point.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
It does specifically say they're planning on using it for Androgenetic Alopecia... And I have grown hair back but it's not like I use to be! I'm still suffering guys.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha... If I would be a hair god I would make it rain hair follicles mate! Unfortunately I'm nothing more than your average Joe

But this is great news for AA sufferers, no doubt. I'm happy for them.

I'm most excited about the Tsuji news. I think the guy is going to grow hair if he reaches human clinical trials. Everything else aside from Replicel is kinda irrelevant to me at this point.
When Tsuji announces his partnership in mid April or when he responds to your inquiries, can we start a new thread to discuss the information? We need to sever the connection to the false reports that he was partnering with Meiji Seika Pharmacy. And I agree with you, Riken and Replicel are definitely our best chance for a cure.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This. Those of us who have been around long enough know what pointless enthusiasm looks like - anyone remember Intercytex?
How is growing HUMAN hair on a bald rat not reason for enthusiasm? How is expanding one cell into hundreds while maintaining genetic expression not reason for enthusiasm? How is the fact that the company that managed to do all this found a large company to take their treatment to clinical trials not reason for entusiasm?
How is the fact that we know infinitely more about how hair works not reason for entusiasm? I swear a large chunk of this forum just loves to spout this cynical crap because they want to temper their expectations. Not because they've actually researched the treatments in the pipeline and determined that they come up short. They act as if their history of being dissapointed has any bearing on whether or not a future treatment will be successful. If anyone reads negative nonsense like the comment above, don't listen to it. Do the research for yourself so you can see that there is indeed a bright future for hair loss sufferers.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Enthusiasm?" You act as if the cure has been discovered and will be available tomorrow. It's INTERESTING, not "exciting." There's nothing "exciting" about another trial of an unproven hypothesis that will take five years to evaluate, and another five years to commercialize IF it works. Sorry, there's nothing "exciting" about that. You'll learn...
The definition of exciting from the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
"Causing feelings of interest and enthusiasm."
So basically exciting means exactly what you said it didn't. Additionally, you seem to lack a basic understanding of clinical studies abroad. Japan allows stem cell treatments to enter the market alongside phase 2 trials, provided it has demonstrated safety in Phase 1 trials. Given that a partnership for funding has already been made, it is just a matter of how long pre-clinical and phase 1 human studies take. That could be anywhere from 3 to 7 years. It's almost as if you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. But be my guest, peddle your useless cynicism as you wish.

MoMoney

Reaction score
The definition of exciting from the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
"Causing feelings of interest and enthusiasm."
So basically exciting means exactly what you said it didn't. Additionally, you seem to lack a basic understanding of clinical studies abroad. Japan allows stem cell treatments to enter the market alongside phase 2 trials, provided it has demonstrated safety in Phase 1 trials. Given that a partnership for funding has already been made, it is just a matter of how long pre-clinical and phase 1 human studies take. That could be anywhere from 3 to 7 years. It's almost as if you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. But be my guest, peddle your useless cynicism as you wish.

he's right, you'll learn

shulk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So basically exciting means exactly what you said it didn't.

Like you said, "Causing feelings of interest AND enthusiasm."
Occulus can be interested into knowing the end result but might not be excited as he already knows its gonna be **** :).

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Like you said, "Causing feelings of interest AND enthusiasm."
Occulus can be interested into knowing the end result but might not be excited as he already knows its gonna be **** :).
How does he already know it's gonna be ****? That's what I'm not understanding. Past disappointments are not grounds for dismissal of the possibility of a reasonable timeline.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
- - - Updated - - -

"Interest AND enthusiasm." Interest and enthusiasm arn't synonymous. One can be interested in something without being enthusiastic about it. Get back to me in ten years and tell me if you're still "enthusiastic" about this news.

I don't, but I'm not going to get excited about something that is, at a minimum, seven years away and most likely a decade away - if it even works.
Those timelines you gave are complete conjecture. My point of saying this isn't to convince you that these treatments are promising. It's for all the people reading your post thinking that there's no chance a cure will come soon. There are great treatments in the pipeline that warrant cautious optimism.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are we talking about what's currently in the pipeline? No, we're talking about the topic of THIS THREAD, which isn't about what's in the pipeline now, but rather about the acquisition of JAK inhibitor research by a pharma. So, since that research isn't even in the first stage of clinical trials yet, it's safe to say that anything that MAY come about from it will take many years - 15 or so, since that's the average time it takes for research to go from lab to patient: http://www.ccfa.org/resources/clinical-trials-101.html (" According to the Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development at Tufts University, it takes an average of 15 years for an experimental drug to go from lab to patient")

Just stop it already...
Are you even listening? I'll say it slow so you can understand.
THIS. IS. IN. JAPAN.
IT. USES. STEM. CELLS.
STEM. CELLS. MEANS. SPEEDY. TRIAL.
Just stop it already...

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is wrong with you? It's a serious question. Where in this link - you know, the link that started this thread, and about which the OP asked our opinions - is there ANYTHING said about Japan or stem cells? http://www.streetinsider.com/dr/news.php?id=11452138

It's about Christiano's JAK studies. JAK inhibitors aren't stem cells. The problem is YOU made some comment about Tsuji labs, and now you're jumping up and down like a crazy person, assuming that, because you write something, the topic of a thread you didn't start suddenly changes.

Step away from the keyboard, take a breath, and get a grip.
YOU brought up Intercytex as an example why we shouldn't be exited for future treatments. Intercytex used stem cells. You were the one who steered the discussion in another direction. I simply stated that one company failing is not a valid reason to lose hope in future treatments, including stem cell ones. I then used an example of another stem cell company that is making significant strides as a counter point. Nice try though. You should get on Zoloft instead of spouting depressing assumptions in an attempt to make everyone as hopeless as you are.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop it - you're reaching. Intercytex was brought up as an example of a company everyone was very "excited" about, and which went down in flames.

What's clear here is your very poor comprehension. You're the only one who read anything that I wrote as a comment on a topic that has nothing to do with this thread. If you have nothing to contribute to the TOPIC of this thread, maybe you should just leave and start a Tsuji thread.
Yes and I brought up a company that is capitalizing on previous research. And how exactly is telling people they shouldn't be hopeful contributing to a thread? Your's and other's hopeless nihilism has become a meme on this forum. It's useless depressive crap that just serves to knock everyone down a peg for the sole reason that they have optimism that you don't. You are not contributing by being a smug dismissive prick. Go start a thread in the mens general section about how you're gonna roll over and expose your soft underside.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, unlike you, I answered a question that was actually posed by the OP. Should we get "excited" about Christiano's research being purchased by a pharma? No - it will take a decade or more to bring it to market IF it works. Is it "interesting?" Yes, JAK research is interesting. Do you see how that works? When someone starts a thread and asks others to comment on the topic of the thread, that's what people do. I'm sorry my reply to his request for my opinion upsets you (well, not really - I don't give a **** what upsets you), which is why you should probably go start your own thread about Tsuji labs or whatever and leave this one to people who want to answer the OP and discuss HIS topic.
Oh no no. The OP asked if we should be excited about the JAK inhibitor news. You then diverted the thread by talking about Intercytex. YOU steered the thread in another direction. You did NOT answer the question he was asking. You took an entirely different company and made a false equivalence by comparing it to Intercytex. I then took your example and brought up a company that was comparable to Intercytex that is making progress. Nice try though. You should probably take a quick glance at the rest of the thread before you mess up again.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My first reply in this thread:

"This. Those of us who have been around long enough know what pointless enthusiasm looks like - anyone remember Intercytex?"

I fail to see how you could misconstrue that as an attempt to discuss stem cell-based protocols, or Tsuji. No one else in the thread did but you. The mention of Intercytex was a reference to and example of misplaced enthusiasm, not a critique of stem cell therapies, and - again - you're the only one who read it as such. Your comprehension - like your command of vocabulary - is poor
. But by all means, please continue to jack this thread.
You substantiated your belief by bringing up a company that is entirely unrelated to JAK inhibitors. Why would you bring it up? It adds no creedance to the belief that we shouldn't get our hopes up. You changed the direction of the thread so I continued down that path. I didn't attempt to discuss stem cell treatments, I simply stated that there are promising things in the pipeline and that enthusiasm is warranted. Nice backpeddling though. I found something you might be interested in. https://www.universalclass.com/i/course/reading-comprehension-101.htm

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because, as I said, it is an example of misplaced enthusiasm in reference to the OP's question, which was, "should we get excited by JAKs?"

No, I didn't - I'm not the one who mentioned Tsuji labs, or Japan, or stem cells. As I said, I agreed with another poster's point about misplaced enthusiasm, then gave an example of misplaced enthusiasm.

LOL - you've lost it.
Your misplaced enthusiasm has nothing to do with the viability of a future treatment. It has no bearing on whether or not he should be excited for a treatment. You said it is pointless enthusiasm without even commenting on JAK inhibitors. You just made a useless comment about how people had misplaced their hopes in Intercytex. That was completely irrelevant to the conversation. Aclaris Therapeutics =! Intercytex, therefor, saying that misplaced entusiasm in Intercytex = misplaced entusiasm in Aclaris makes no sense. I'd definitely say it's you who's lost it.