Do we actually need angiotensin blockers instead of DHT blockers?

qerqrqwrqwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Spironolactone - inhibits angiotensin and used to treat heart failure by blocking Aldosterone

Minoxidil - a blood pressure drug that stops angiotensin

Finasteride - stops 5α-Dihydroaldosterone - related to angiotensin and shown to reduce blood pressure.

Most men with baldness have high blood pressure.

Is baldness high blood pressure in disguise?

Last edited:

qerqrqwrqwr

Established Member
Reaction score
This article suggests finasteride is helpful for high blood pressure

So is baldness high blood pressure?

Elaborating on my first post - the hormone Aldosterone is the main hormone involved in blood pressure and heart failure.

The obvious connection between baldness, high blood pressure and heart failure may not be DHT, but aldosterone. The fact that Minoxidil treats high blood pressure should make this argument obvious.

By taking finasteride and Minoxidil - are you actually solving high blood pressure and therefore solving the baldness?

Last edited:

Kojakjr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good correlation… The DHT connection has been proven. A bald man if he blocks male hormones & takes female hormones will regrow hair. But I’m sure you can find 100 males w) 120/80 bp who are balding.
So interesting point, but don’t see it going anywhere

ninarosshairtherapy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, angiotensin blockers are not a replacement for DHT blockers for hair loss. They target different mechanisms and have different purposes. Here's a breakdown:

Angiotensin Blockers (ARBs):

• Function: ARBs are a class of medications primarily used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure. They work by blocking the hormone angiotensin II, which causes blood vessels to constrict.
  • Hair Loss: While there's limited research, some studies suggest ARBs might indirectly improve blood flow to the scalp, potentially promoting hair growth in some cases. However, this is not their primary function, and they are not FDA-approved for hair loss treatment.
DHT Blockers:

• Function: DHT (dihydrotestosterone) is a hormone derived from testosterone. It plays a role in male pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) by shrinking hair follicles and shortening their growth phase. DHT blockers work by inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to DHT, thereby slowing down hair loss.
  • Hair Loss: DHT blockers like finasteride are well-established and FDA-approved medications for treating male pattern hair loss. They have a proven track record of effectiveness and are generally considered the first-line treatment for this condition.
Key Differences:

• Target: ARBs target the angiotensin II hormone system, while DHT blockers target the DHT hormone specifically.
  • Purpose: ARBs are primarily for blood pressure and heart health, while DHT blockers are specifically for hair loss.
  • Evidence for Hair Loss: DHT blockers have stronger scientific evidence supporting their effectiveness in treating hair loss compared to ARBs.
Here's the bottom line:

• ARBs are not a substitute for DHT blockers for hair loss.
  • DHT blockers are the established treatment for male pattern hair loss.
  • If you're experiencing hair loss, consult a dermatologist. They can diagnose the underlying cause and recommend the most appropriate treatment options for you.
Additional Considerations:

• Talk to your doctor if you're considering any new medications, including ARBs, to discuss potential interactions with your current medications and ensure they are safe for you.
  • Alternative Treatments: There are other hair loss treatments available, such as minoxidil (Rogaine) or low-level laser therapy. A dermatologist can advise on the best course of action based on your situation.

Kojakjr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Spirolactone is a blood pressure drug
Minoxidil is a blood pressure drug
Both have been shown to grow hair by peer review.
What do both have in common ..
increase potassium to recipient..
What is 99% deficient in people when tested? Potassium.
If one takes Potassium Chloride one’s Blood Pressure Readings will decline.
So perhaps there is a potassium correlation in male pattern baldness.
High BP increases sebum..
I think reducing DHT helps hair growth
But the Blood Pressure correlation is very interesting.
ARB’s I think is not how to look at this question w/o including the potassium correlation