do steroid injections help?

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
do injecting steroids into scalp help with male pattern baldness?..i met a friend of a friends today. the guy was 20.....nw5....you could see his entire scalp...and he had thin long hair on the sides. he said he'd gone to a hairclub in the city and gotten some steroid injected onto his scalp, which halted his hairloss but he'd gotten it done late so he was maintaining what he had left without any treatment..

what steroid do you get exactly..and what does it do?...same DHT inhibitor ?

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the_krush said:
do injecting steroids into scalp help with male pattern baldness?..i met a friend of a friends today. the guy was 20.....nw5....you could see his entire scalp...and he had thin long hair on the sides. he said he'd gone to a hairclub in the city and gotten some steroid injected onto his scalp, which halted his hairloss but he'd gotten it done late so he was maintaining what he had left without any treatment..

what steroid do you get exactly..and what does it do?...same DHT inhibitor ?
Maybe it was some sort of cortisone shot. Just a guess. :)

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Okay, I looked in a book of mine called Prescription for Herbal Healing ( written by Phyllis A. Balch) and there is a section on hairloss in it. I will type a small section on that.This info might give you a clue to what it is:

The steroid drug prednisolone has shown some usefullness in reversing hairloss caused by immune-system factors.

It didn't state wether or not the sh*t was injected though. Are you sure this friend of a friend of yours has a different form of hairloss or not? Do you know for sure if is male pattern baldness? :?

tube

Reaction score
Corticosteroids--Corticosteroids are powerful anti-inflammatory drugs similar to a hormone called cortisol produced in the body. Because these drugs suppress the immune system if given orally, they are often used in the treatment of various autoimmune diseases, including alopecia areata. Corticosteroids may be administered in three ways for alopecia areata:

Local injections--Injections of steroids directly into hairless patches on the scalp and sometimes the brow and beard areas are effective in increasing hair growth in most people. It usually takes about 4 weeks for new hair growth to become visible. Injections deliver small amounts of cortisone to affected areas, avoiding the more serious side effects encountered with long-term oral use. The main side effects of injections are transient pain, mild swelling, and sometimes changes in pigmentation, as well as small indentations in the skin that go away when injections are stopped. Because injections can be painful, they may not be the preferred treatment for children. After 1 or 2 months, new hair growth usually becomes visible, and the injections usually have to be repeated monthly. The cortisone removes the confused immune cells and allows the hair to grow. Large areas cannot be treated, however, because the discomfort and the amount of medicine become too great and can result in side effects similar to those of the oral regimen.

It's an alopecia areata tratment.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bastantey said:
Corticosteroids--Corticosteroids are powerful anti-inflammatory drugs similar to a hormone called cortisol produced in the body. Because these drugs suppress the immune system if given orally, they are often used in the treatment of various autoimmune diseases, including alopecia areata. Corticosteroids may be administered in three ways for alopecia areata:

Local injections--Injections of steroids directly into hairless patches on the scalp and sometimes the brow and beard areas are effective in increasing hair growth in most people. It usually takes about 4 weeks for new hair growth to become visible. Injections deliver small amounts of cortisone to affected areas, avoiding the more serious side effects encountered with long-term oral use. The main side effects of injections are transient pain, mild swelling, and sometimes changes in pigmentation, as well as small indentations in the skin that go away when injections are stopped. Because injections can be painful, they may not be the preferred treatment for children. After 1 or 2 months, new hair growth usually becomes visible, and the injections usually have to be repeated monthly. The cortisone removes the confused immune cells and allows the hair to grow. Large areas cannot be treated, however, because the discomfort and the amount of medicine become too great and can result in side effects similar to those of the oral regimen.

It's an alopecia areata tratment.
Okay and the more I have read and learned, male pattern baldness has something to do with the immune system. The actual androgens, like test and dht, are nothing more than - messengers, or basically they label the follicle as a foreign body and the immune system rejects it. I am wondering if such treatment would be valuable for male pattern baldness sufferers. I remember reading how some patients of surgery were given immuno-suppressents and these people, that were also going bald, started to regrow hair and when the immuno-suppressant drug was stopped.......the hair started to fallout again. Something like that. I can't remember word per se, but just to give you the idea of what I am talking about. :)

tube

Reaction score
There are many people who believe inflammation should be dealt with to stop hair loss I have to agree with these people.
Corticosteroid shots should help achieve this but other things like emu oil, aloe vera and topical corticosteroids should also be affective in reducing inflammation and help the scalp to return back to normal.
I have used dermol a generic version of dermovate and have to admit I noticed a change in how my scalp felt, I mean it feels better and I think it’s the reduced inflammation is the reason for this.
So I think it is possibly something to look into the steroid shots that is.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bastantey said:
There are many people who believe inflammation should be dealt with to stop hair loss I have to agree with these people.
Corticosteroid shots should help achieve this but other things like emu oil, aloe vera and topical corticosteroids should also be affective in reducing inflammation and help the scalp to return back to normal.
I have used dermol a generic version of dermovate and have to admit I noticed a change in how my scalp felt, I mean it feels better and I think it’s the reduced inflammation is the reason for this.
So I think it is possibly something to look into the steroid shots that is.
Exactly.....after all, hormones aren't the thing that really hurts or harms the follicle, it's the body's immune system response that does it. So, whatever the immune system does.......which is a cascade of events, should be dealth with, probably more importantly, than dealing with the hormones. People shouldn't focus on the dht or the test thing so much, they should focus on what is really harming the follicle. This coupled with trying to defeat the androgens, could be a very good effective treatment to stop the loss. :)

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im surprised as hell hairloss has not been figured out by now. Should be scientists and doctors all over a hairloss cure. Not something that may help 50% men maintain and regrow a few follicles, but something that will give a bald guy a full head of hair. I don't see why this has not been done yet. I mean, really..

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wangho75 said:
Im surprised as hell hairloss has not been figured out by now. Should be scientists and doctors all over a hairloss cure. Not something that may help 50% men maintain and regrow a few follicles, but something that will give a bald guy a full head of hair. I don't see why this has not been done yet. I mean, really..
Another thing to think about : Think of all the companies that make hairloss treatments that, ya know, treatments that are supposed to do this and that, think of all the companies going under, due to someone coming up with a cure. Think of how much money America is making and other countries too. I think it revolves around money and power. The roots of evil. And as far as I can see it, it will probably never end. :)

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
hydrocortisone cause hair loss? I saw soemwhere a mixture of minoxidil 3%, topical saw palmetto, and hydrocortisone .5% or soemthign like that---i also heard soemhwere it can help increase absorption of minoxidil, and I sometimes use hydrocortisone to help eas the inflammation I get every once in a while from the premixed minoxidil%/ tretinoin .025 combo that I use..anyways hope im not making things worse, as im starting to shed again on month 4 lol

Goingat20

Reaction score
Yeah, a friend told me his friend is using some injections, and apparantly his hair loss has stopped, but no regrowth. He is going to get me the name of the injection...

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Goingat20 said:
Yeah, a friend told me his friend is using some injections, and apparantly his hair loss has stopped, but no regrowth. He is going to get me the name of the injection...
Good........let us know what it is when you find out. :)