djapollocreed's story

djApolloCreed

Reaction score
Type of hairloss: looks almost diffuse when wet, but only noticible in the front. Some recession too.
When hairloss first noticed: Late april of this year. It was a terrible moment after i received a very short haircut in my dorm bathroom from a friend. My hair has always had a weird way of growing in the front; it cannot just be combed straight down. So there I am staring at the little hairs on the front of my head sticking straight up with obvious scalp underneath. Ouch. I slowly crept into my room and pulled the blanket over my face and suffered intensely for the rest of the night. Its really ridiculous how sudden and hard it hits you. You probably know that if you're reading this.

I'd had my hair long for two years before that. Prior to that I didn't have any hairloss. When it was long I always had a lot of hairs coming out in my brush, but all signs of my hairloss (which I've found only through looking at old pictures) were usually covered up except at the part. I had noticed its thinness in the mirror before, but I was dealing with on again off again dandruff so thats why I thought it was bad there. As if the dandruff was blocking the hair or something. Really dumb, but I had no idea. Like I said, it really wasn't noticible if you weren't looking for it. And at that time in my life i really didn't care that much what i looked like as long as I was clean or whatever. My dad has a full head of hair at 45 and my mothers family is almost all female and remote, so I really wasn't expecting to go bald.

I'd noticed how my hair was getting lame and greasy kind of about a year ago. I wore bandanas a lot in the summer and winter hats in (you guessed it) the winter cause I liked the look of the hair coming out the bottom. I really didn't try to explain why my hair looked shitty.

When I did get it cut short again in march I didn't notice at first. But it must have been shedding pretty good for awhile because it advanced rather quickly. After contemplating suicide and the priesthood, I decided I needed to do something and bought some rogaine (it was the only treatment I knew existed). I moved past that last part pretty quickly, but it was a very intense time in my life. Every aspect of my life suffered because of the hairloss issue. Its one thing not to care that much what you look like- its youthful and typical of most of my crowd, but to look old beyond your years, thats something else. The opposite pretty much. I felt like my youth was over. Something like a midlife crisis I guess- I wished I'd done so much more when I had hair, before I had this incredible anxiety and rage at my genes that I thought would probably shadow me for the rest of my life (at least the part where I still acted the part of a young man).

So after some darkness, never denial, I went to the internet to try to find what I could do. Like many newbies, I first found a lot of bullshit (those consumer report links that come up for Procerin are down right EVIL). I mean, the way society is, losing your hair is just so traumatizing, and to enter the world of treatment in this heart wrenching daze only to discover its overun with scam artists is discouraging to say the least.

I eventually found this site and few other decent ones. What a godsend, I honestly don't know what I would have done without them.

Anyways I ended up quitting the monoxidil after about a month and a half.
My hair began falling out much more rapidly after I began using it and it made my hair ridiculously greasy. I read reports (on forums like this one) of people swearing it made their condition worse. Though their were always more people telling them that it was just "a minoxidil shed" and that "no hairloss treatment can be judged in under 6 months" etc. I don't know, obviously theres no science behind the idea of minoxidil making you worse off, male pattern baldness isn't fully understood. So I wouldn't take anything as religion. Anyways, i got off minoxidil because it was a pain and it made my hair look bad and more obviously thin so I figured if I had to make it look bad all the time to make it look good- well thats just dumb. My hair continued falling out obviously (in my fingers everytime i ran them through (ocd A LOT), in a comb every time, a dozen or so sticking to my hands whenever i shampooed) so I have no idea if the monoxidil had anything to do with the increased fall out or if it was just a cooincidence. I started with finasteride and nizoral 5 weeks ago and have (knock on a big piece of wood reverently) had a definitely positive response. Hairloss has dropped to almost nothing this past week and my hair feels much better.

For the first time in several months I feel I can relax somewhat.

I'll let you know what happens...