Dividing Generic Finasteride 5mg into fifths??

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
I FINALLY convinced my doctor to prescribe me proscar instead of propecia, since it costs SO much now for propecia. I noticed however, that when i got out of the office, instead of writing for me to quarter the tablets daily, he wrote a script for only 6 pills with instructions to divide into 1/5ths daily. Geesh---why are doctor's so reluctant to write a script for proscar!!!!!!

Anyway---since now I have to cut into 1/5ths (which i didn't want to do), how can i evenly divide a round pill into equal fifths??

(or........IF brand-name proscar is easier to divide into fifths, maybe I should request the brand-name at the pharmacy!???)

Paul December

Established Member
Reaction score
No pill is easy to split into 5ths...why not just do quarters? I can't imagine the difference in dosage being significant.

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
well,

i would just do quarters, but like i said--my doctor only gave me a script for 6 pills per month, so i have to make them last by dividing into fifths

Bertie

Reaction score
Obviously, you cannot easily divide a round pill into 5 pie-shaped parts.

What you do instead is first cut off a arc-shaped wedge, equal to 1/5 of the pill volume, then take the rest, cut it in half, and then cut each of those halves in half.

But it is better to just do fourths. Especially because with fourths you can just use a pill cutter, which is safer than razor blades or xacto-knives because they are designed to keep your fingers out of the way.

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah--sounds pretty difficult to do, especially with a material that is crumbly

that was my original intention, to divide into quarters
but Doctor only gave me six pills per month

PCM

Reaction score
tell the Doctor that you;ve been crumbling pieces and you'll need some spares. This is bound to happen anyway.

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
how bout i tell him

"im just crumbalin herb........ I'm just crumbalin herb"!!!!!!!!!!

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
Paul December said:
Like many others here, I use generic finasteride @ only 10 cents a pill

about the generic finasteride:

1.) How reliable and consistent and timely is the delivery of the medicine after ordering it? (i have heard that sometimes it gets confiscated and doesn't make it here)

2.) How safe do you feel that the medicine is of the same quality and is consistent in ingredients and dosage compared to Merck's pills?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
get a surgical scalpel at an arts and crafts store for 2 bucks. Works better then anything else I have used. The pill will not crumble also.