Discussing the impact of hair loss in student documentary

josiephina

Reaction score
My name is Josie Smart, and I am a student at RMIT University. I am currently in the midst of producing a documentary about hair loss and the use of wigs with a number of other students from my course. We are seeking to speak with real people who may be willing to share their story about coping with hair loss. If this is something you may be interested in, please get in touch with me via this forum or contact me via email at josie.e.smart@gmail.com.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Just do justice to the ones inflicted. We are still humans, with working emotions and the way people can be cruel and insensitive really has a very damaging mental/emotional impact.

I'm reminded of an old episode of the cartoon Berinstein Bears where lil brother cuts all the hair off of lil sis's favorite doll and when she sees her doll bald she claims not to love it anymore... whereby her mother had to intervene and tell her that her dolly was still the same dolly she has always been, deep down.

Good luck on your project.

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems like a great idea, as long as you don't turn it into a comedy. There's nothing funny about hairloss, most of the times it's a traumatic experience.

- - - Updated - - -

The subject of baldness can be the starting point for a discussion on broader issues: why do we discriminate? Why racism, sexism and ageism? What is beauty?

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems like a great idea, as long as you don't turn it into a comedy. There's nothing funny about hairloss, most of the times it's a traumatic experience.

- - - Updated - - -

The subject of baldness can be the starting point for a discussion on broader issues: why do we discriminate? Why racism, sexism and ageism? What is beauty?
good points there

i think it is a great idea

like most good documentaries, it wud help get people aware of issues they dont normally think about

taxi

Reaction score
I can give you some conclusions right away: It sucks, no one likes to be bald and the worse of it all is that it's daily torture to see your hair fading, and fading... It's like losing your youth visually. It breaks your confidence, it makes you less socially attractive and damages your possibilities with women and professional success. You can still be successful but it's like starting a 200m race 10 meters behind. Oh and the bull**** "being bald is not important what's important is what you are" is half lie. Eventually your personality will prevail but in a pure aesthetic way you will be outcast and that's normal because we as humans are genetically programmed to "eliminate" socially different humans for self guard. That's why don't feel at ease with foreigners, other colored, too tall, too short, to fat, etc. Fortunately society has educated us to understand that being different is not bad. Even so... our genetics evolution is very strong.

So, being bald sucks.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
I can give you some conclusions right away: It sucks, no one likes to be bald and the worse of it all is that it's daily torture to see your hair fading, and fading... It's like losing your youth visually. It breaks your confidence, it makes you less socially attractive and damages your possibilities with women and professional success. You can still be successful but it's like starting a 200m race 10 meters behind. Oh and the bull**** "being bald is not important what's important is what you are" is half lie. Eventually your personality will prevail but in a pure aesthetic way you will be outcast and that's normal because we as humans are genetically programmed to "eliminate" socially different humans for self guard. That's why don't feel at ease with foreigners, other colored, too tall, too short, to fat, etc. Fortunately society has educated us to understand that being different is not bad. Even so... our genetics evolution is very strong.

So, being bald sucks.

Hmm, agree with you, but that part with "we are genetically programmed to eliminate different humans from self" is complete false!
And yes, maybe baldness can affect you on the women-relationship level, but profesionally, it has nothing to do!! Unless you want to be a model or actor and another few domains.
And baldness is something which is very very common. Everywhere you go you see bald people, and people are used to it.

Those who mock you for being bald are retarded, and they eventually would mock you for something elese if you had a full head of hair.
Yes, baldness can be aesthetically unpleasant, but let's be serious: the world we live in is far far far away from being aestehtically perfect!

And...**** hair. You get a nice cap and...the aesthetic problem dissapears!
So what? Someone asks you why do you hide your hair? I would be sincere: yes, i am bald, but i wear the cap to aesthetically please you, so be grateful!
:))))))))
Yes, baldness is such a big big big problem, but can be hidden instantaneously as you put a cap on your head.
Haaaaaa! How cool is that?? How much does a cap cost? A few dollars?
Of course, it depends on your job, etc.
But if you are a postman, like SEB(nice job), you could wear a cap all the time, in fact in many countries postmans have professional caps with the post company logo.

Don't exagerate so much.

- - - Updated - - -

So, being bald sucks.

Hmm, agree with you, but that part with "we are genetically programmed to eliminate different humans from self" is complete false!
And yes, maybe baldness can affect you on the women-relationship level, but profesionally, it has nothing to do!! Unless you want to be a model or actor and another few domains.
And baldness is something which is very very common. Everywhere you go you see bald people, and people are used to it.

Those who mock you for being bald are retarded, and they eventually would mock you for something elese if you had a full head of hair.
Yes, baldness can be aesthetically unpleasant, but let's be serious: the world we live in is far far far away from being aestehtically perfect!

And...**** hair. You get a nice cap and...the aesthetic problem dissapears!
So what? Someone asks you why do you hide your hair? I would be sincere: yes, i am bald, but i wear the cap to aesthetically please you, so be grateful!
:))))))))
Yes, baldness is such a big big big problem, but can be hidden instantaneously as you put a cap on your head.
Haaaaaa! How cool is that?? How much does a cap cost? A few dollars?
Of course, it depends on your job, etc.
But if you are a postman, like SEB(nice job), you could wear a cap all the time, in fact in many countries postmans have professional caps with the post company logo.

Don't exagerate so much.

Oh,a nd a tip for the morons who laugh about your baldness. you can tell them: Oh, i have a minor problem, which can be solved by a hair transplant. you, on the other part, have a bigger one: you need BRAIN TRANSPLANT!

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
I applaud your positive spirit but don't agree with you on this; it's usually blatantly obvious when a bald(ing) guy tries to hide his hairloss by wearing a cap 24/7. I think you'd actually encounter more ridicule by doing so, since you then also radiate insecurity regarding your hairloss. Plus: you can't hide under a hat forever (going on a date, for instance?).
It isn't about trying to hide anything! Ok, people may know very well you are bald, and so what?
If it's my decision to wear a cap, i don't care what they think. I look better with cap than without, and so what? I must be ok, they must be ok, for not having to "admire" my bald head, which eventually isn't so aesthetic. (i'm speaking generally here, not refering to me ).
So it's not about hiding, and not forever.
It's just about "masking" the lack of hair imperfection.
Oh, and about the date, i would tell the girl i am bald and i like wearing caps, and if she has any problems with it, bye-bye! If she doesn't acept me as i am, it isn't worth any date...

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Oh and the bull**** "being bald is not important what's important is what you are" is half lie.
Very true.

Eventually your personality will prevail but in a pure aesthetic way you will be outcast and that's normal because we as humans are genetically programmed to "eliminate" socially different humans for self guard. Fortunately society has educated us to understand that being different is not bad. Even so... our genetics evolution is very strong.
Very true again, although I will say society is selective in what morals they deem worthy of practicing. We have come along way in tolerance towards different ethnicities, religions, sexual preferences, even obesity to an extent but we are not perfect yet as bald people are not covered under that PC umbrella, thus preventing us from enjoying a more empathetic audience to our plight.

So, being bald sucks.
Also true, your on fire tonight!

- - - Updated - - -

Will you keep the hat on in bed with her as well then? Seriously though, if you're "masking the lack of hair imperfection" with your hat habits then it seems to me that above all it's you who's not accepting the way you are.

While that is scathingly true, in defense of fellow hat/beanie prisoners everywhere... we know you know we are bald and hiding it but it is better than having to be seen that way. By the reactions I get from my bald head, I have gathered that it is something to be ashamed of and embarrassed by. Our culture only reinforces this fact. So I hide my shame because I admit that I can't accept my appearance. I admit that I am ashamed of and insecure about my bald head, but could you really blame me for it? The looks I get when I am uncovered make me want to crawl inside a hole and die, so I put on my beanie and all the sudden all of those eyes that would be jutting straight at my bright bald beacon of a head pass right through me and I feel safe.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, you are impossible and contradictory, people!!
If you have no problem with your hair loss, and perfectly fine with how you look bald, of course you can go without any cap. But....anyway, in the sun you should wear one, for not getting burned.
On the other way, if you DON'T LIKE how you look bald, you get a nice cap, and put it on your head.
Is that so difficult to understand??
Oh, and again, **** what other retarded bastards think. That's the hell of a healthy attitude to have in life!!!
So they mock you?? Very good, you mock them too! There is no perfect person on the earth, EVERYBODY can be mocked on some aspect. He can have a full head of hair, but the face can be ugly as hell, he may be fat, etc etc etc.
why is it so hard for you to ignore what other worthless morons think about you???

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
If you have no problem with your hair loss, and perfectly fine with how you look bald, of course you can go without any cap. But....anyway, in the sun you should wear one, for not getting burned.
On the other way, if you DON'T LIKE how you look bald, you get a nice cap, and put it on your head.
Oh, and again, **** what other retarded bastards think. That's the hell of a healthy attitude to have in life!!!
So they mock you?? Very good, you mock them too! There is no perfect person on the earth, EVERYBODY can be mocked on some aspect. He can have a full head of hair, but the face can be ugly as hell, he may be fat, etc etc etc.
why is it so hard for you to ignore what other worthless morons think about you???

didn't you say in another thread you'd had a transplant done? You obviously care what other 'retarded bastards' think

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
didn't you say in another thread you'd had a transplant done? You obviously care what other 'retarded bastards' think

Not quite...i did the transplant because i didn't like what i was seeing when i looked in the mirror or in pictures.
Other than this, almost nobody told me anything about my hair.(maybe 1 or 2 closed persons in 3-4 years). And no mocking at all, just observations.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
How am I being contradictory? If anything you are contradicting yourself by saying that you don't care what other people think, yet are a self proclaimed hat prisoner. You say you do it for yourself because you don't like what you see in the mirror yet when you are out on the street you are not standing in front of a mirror, the only people who can see your bald head is everyone but you. So what is your real excuse for the hat.... because you are ashamed of your hair loss but you can't admit it. Your logic is askew and you are a gift bouquet of yummy contradictions. MMMM.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
How am I being contradictory? If anything you are contradicting yourself by saying that you don't care what other people think, yet are a self proclaimed hat prisoner. You say you do it for yourself because you don't like what you see in the mirror yet when you are out on the street you are not standing in front of a mirror, the only people who can see your bald head is everyone but you. So what is your real excuse for the hat.... because you are ashamed of your hair loss but you can't admit it. Your logic is askew and you are a gift bouquet of yummy contradictions. MMMM.

Ha-ha-haaaaaaa! You didn't understand a thing!!!!
Firstly, i am not bald anymore, i was never very bald, only Norwood 3, and had a hair transplant and micropigmentation session. Now i am NW2,5 all day. Don't need to wear a cap. Oh, i wear one, but only because of the sun. :))
And i wasn't saying that I, PERSONALLY, wear a cap 24/7. I was saying that a bald man CAN use a cap. I was not talking about myself in those messages, and i underlined that, but it seems it was too SUBTLE for your brain to process...What studies do you have??

Ok, i didn't like my NW3 hairline, so i had a transplant. You concluded: i don't like my hairline, so i wear a hat. Totally false.

There aren't any contradictions in what i said. The contradictions are only in how you "understood" what i said.
And the way you finish your message with "yummy, "mmm" makes me think you have serious psychological issues.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it's hilarious!!!! We are all here because we hate being bald! It's just absurd to hear some people saying 'I've done hair transplants and scalp micro pigmentation because I hated seeing my reflection with no hair in the mirrior but I don't really care what other people think of me at all' ..Of course you care about other people's opinions on you, your looks and your hair. You don't live in this world alone. As long as you live on this very earth, how you see yourself is very relevent to how others see you. You've done these procedures because you care about how you look and you didn't like going bald. Why did you think you hated going bald in the first place? who do you think created the idea that being bald/balding is not so beautiful and put that into your head? You wouldn't have had these procedures done if you lived in a balding country! :) http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/67977-Balding-country

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
it's hilarious!!!! We are all here because we hate being bald! It's just absurd to hear some people saying 'I've done hair transplants and scalp micro pigmentation because I hated seeing my reflection with no hair in the mirrior but I don't really care what other people think of me at all' ..Of course you care about other people's opinions on you, your looks and your hair. You don't live in this world alone. As long as you live on this very earth, how you see yourself is very relevent to how others see you. You've done these procedures because you care about how you look and that says it all.

Im not here cause i hate being bald...

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
it's hilarious!!!! We are all here because we hate being bald! It's just absurd to hear some people saying 'I've done hair transplants and scalp micro pigmentation because I hated seeing my reflection with no hair in the mirrior but I don't really care what other people think of me at all' ..Of course you care about other people's opinions on you, your looks and your hair. You don't live in this world alone. As long as you live on this very earth, how you see yourself is very relevent to how others see you. You've done these procedures because you care about how you look and you didn't like going bald. Why did you think you hated going bald in the first place? who do you think created the idea that being bald/balding is not so beautiful and put that into your head? You wouldn't have had these procedures done if you lived in a balding country! :) http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/67977-Balding-country

You can think what you want, but i told you, nobody ever mocked me about my hair ... I was the one who wast most unsatisfied by my high hairline. Other people, especially women, always thought i was a good-looking guy, despite my NW3, how crazy is that.

And ucman? That man is full of ****. He comes here and almost cries like a little girl that people are mocking him for his hair, but doesn't miss a chance to mock others like that "yummy" and "mmmm" stuff above. How hypocritical is that??
Also, he tells only bull****: that all hair transplant's are barbaric/aren't worth, etc.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Pardon me for not fully understanding your hair loss situation before posting. But now that you mention that you've never been beyond nw3 it all makes sense now. Of course nobody mocked you because nw3 is still socially acceptable and not considered bald ie. nw5. You probably wear the hat because you don't want to ruin your MP with too much sun exposure. And for most nw5s with average donor density there is not enough supply to fill the demand resulting in spending a small fortune (sorry I'm poor) for a whispy aura over your head and you can't fall back on shaving due to the scar, so yeah for nw5s hair transplants are not worth it. Maybe for the more privilaged nw3s such as yourself it is a more viable option. But it's your lack of sympathy and general attitude which is why I am critical of you. That and your obviously in denial about not being concerned what others think of you. If you really didn't give a **** you would have just let it happen but you know if you were to go bald you would be ****ed because society hates baldness.... everybody knows it but not everyone will admit it. Some people are just more honest with themselves than others.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and everything Talmoode said. Great posts man. KUTGW.

Reaction score
And that sums up the very deep thoughts and logic of yet another homemade philosopher and preacher that never went past nw3. Good post UCman.