"Diluting" Proscar

luke77

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm going to start Proscar again and I know that people have expressed concerns about getting uneven doses if you split the pills into 4 or 5 pieces and take 1 a day. Does anyone crush the pills and dissolve them into some kind of liquid, and then drink 1/5 of the liquid each day? Would this work with water, or would the drug be degraded after sitting for 5 days in water? Is there another method to get a steady dose?

Thanks,
Luke

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Finasteride doesn't dissolve in water, but it dissolves in alcohol. You could try thoroughly powdering Proscar tablets and then dissolving them in the strongest booze you can find, then swallow a metered amount every day. A few people have done that.

Bryan

OCD

Reaction score
I don't know if it's a good idea to let medication sit in booze for 5 days before you take it. Who knows what kind of reactions would occur or how effective it would be after that. I think you'd be better off just trying to split it up. Just my opinion though.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
There was a fellow named Fred Morenberg who posted for a long time on alt.baldspot several years ago. He was a big proponent of dissolving Proscar in wine, and drinking a metered amount of it every day. He did that himself, apparently with good results for his hair.

Bryan