diffuse thinners: do you get this type of hairloss?

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm first of all a diffuse thinner. the diameter of my hair has not changed, however the density of my hair has gone to the crappers. it almost seems like once the hair has gone into its dormancy stage, it decides to stay there for good.

my hair density is extemely low now yet my hair is strong and is able to stand by itself.

anyone able to relate?

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine sounds kinda like that, its like you've got these real thin spots where there is hair and its all ok but not a lot of it growing. But then in other areas the hair coverage is pretty good but the hair there is really thin. I duno if that makes any sense. but yeah i'm kinda screwed.

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply.

hmmm. but no one has really told me whether they have hair that is thick in diameter, yet very low density.

my hair also grows very fast. my hair stylist in fact told me its one of the fastest he's seen.

starch22

Reaction score
yes.. same problem here.. hardly any recession (just mature hairline)

diameter is good.. even the diameter of hair that falls out is good..

but density is sh*t..

i dont think its male pattern baldness

any thoughts?

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
starch22, i PM'ed you back.

i'm hoping its Telogen Effluvium cause in Telogen Effluvium a large percentage of the hairs shut down, at the same time hair dimter is not changed. could be us. wishful thinking at least!

arjun17

Reaction score
that's strange

In male pattern baldness, it is well-known (atleast all the hair transplant sites say so) that in the early stages, the follicular density (i.e. the total no. of follicles, regardless of whether terminal, intermediate, or vellus) is the same as before male pattern baldness onset. But the AVERAGE diameter of hairs in the area is markedly diminished. Remember, diameter plays a considerably greater role than density in giving the impression of coverage - one thick hair (say 100 microns) covers not twice, but FOUR TIMES as much area as one fine hair (say 50 microns). While two fine hairs, obviously, cover only twice as much area as one fine hair. So doubling the average diameter will help a lot more than doubling the density. Similarly, halving the average diameter will give the impression of a lot less hair than halving the density.
It is paradoxical that those with "thick" hair usually have less density (no. of hairs) than those with fine hair. But remember, even if the thick-haired person has only half the density of the fine-haired person, the former will still appear to have TWICE as much hair as the latter. Hair density only varies by a factor of 2 at the most among non-balding people. Hair diameter can vary by somewhat more than that.
Cheers,
Arjun

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
so based on your saying, could it be conclued that what i have is not male pattern baldness? The hair just loses density, but the hair diamter is the same.

arjun, i do appreciate your mathematical analysis on the subject and i do agree with it as i can follow it. but then u have no idea how little desnity i've become since the hey-days. i can say within an area, i lost 60% of its orginal density. The follicles just suddenly decided to take a long nap and not grow! :freaked2:

starch22

Reaction score
yeah same here... been losing density like crazy..

remaining hair is pretty thick.. and even the hair that fall out is thick

sad situation.. i dont think propecia and min would help

Deaner

Reaction score
At least you get to keep hair ontop with that loss? I had both pal, and a receding hairline does suck...