Diffuse Shed And Itch, Is This Bad?

norwoodnogood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, new here.
Just looking for advice and any explanations as to what is actually going on here. Im a 23 year old male with a norwood 2.
I started on finasteride in mid november after only a couple of days research. A few days in i felt like i was getting watery semen and started researching more to see if this could be linked to the drug. I found out it was then after that i think i got the nocebo effect of thinking i had the other symptoms such as weaker erections etc. Due to this i came off finasteride after only 12 days of taking 1mg generic. About 20 days later ( a month after starting ) suddenly i shed loads of hair and my head became super itchy all the time which never happened before finasteride and didnt start til my hair started to fall. Mid January i went to see a trichologist because my shedding wasnt stopping and he suggested it was a telogen effluvium and i should get back on finasteride to stop further hairloss. So i started back on finasteride in the middle of january and about 3 days in the shedding got even worse, im about a month into taking 0.5mg of finasteride now and the shedding is getting worse and my hair which was ridiculously thick 3 or 4 months ago before starting this drug has thinned out and become dry and lifeless. Im not concerned about the shed too badly due to so many people saying theyve suffered the shed and come back, im just worried about the awful awful itch im getting in areas where hair is shedding and also from the fact my libido seems to habe heightened since starting finasteride for the second time. I use Nizoral shampoo which i feel takes the itch away for a short amount of time maybe one day but im just concerned the itch could be reflex hyperandrogenicity.
Just really looking for advice as to whether i should stick it out despite the itch and huge shed or i should drop it before i shed all my hair!

I emailed my trichologist a couple of days ago asking what he thought and he just suggested another shampoo and to come off finasteride if the itch doesnt improve in a month. Can anyone please tell me they suffered with the itch during the shed and still managed to come back from it?
Cheers guys and i know my stop start regimen was stupid but i got freaked, just wish id stayed on it the first time because i never had the itch then.

OsamaBeenBanging

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, new here.
Just looking for advice and any explanations as to what is actually going on here. Im a 23 year old male with a norwood 2.
I started on finasteride in mid november after only a couple of days research. A few days in i felt like i was getting watery semen and started researching more to see if this could be linked to the drug. I found out it was then after that i think i got the nocebo effect of thinking i had the other symptoms such as weaker erections etc. Due to this i came off finasteride after only 12 days of taking 1mg generic. About 20 days later ( a month after starting ) suddenly i shed loads of hair and my head became super itchy all the time which never happened before finasteride and didnt start til my hair started to fall. Mid January i went to see a trichologist because my shedding wasnt stopping and he suggested it was a telogen effluvium and i should get back on finasteride to stop further hairloss. So i started back on finasteride in the middle of january and about 3 days in the shedding got even worse, im about a month into taking 0.5mg of finasteride now and the shedding is getting worse and my hair which was ridiculously thick 3 or 4 months ago before starting this drug has thinned out and become dry and lifeless. Im not concerned about the shed too badly due to so many people saying theyve suffered the shed and come back, im just worried about the awful awful itch im getting in areas where hair is shedding and also from the fact my libido seems to habe heightened since starting finasteride for the second time. I use Nizoral shampoo which i feel takes the itch away for a short amount of time maybe one day but im just concerned the itch could be reflex hyperandrogenicity.
Just really looking for advice as to whether i should stick it out despite the itch and huge shed or i should drop it before i shed all my hair!

I emailed my trichologist a couple of days ago asking what he thought and he just suggested another shampoo and to come off finasteride if the itch doesnt improve in a month. Can anyone please tell me they suffered with the itch during the shed and still managed to come back from it?
Cheers guys and i know my stop start regimen was stupid but i got freaked, just wish id stayed on it the first time because i never had the itch then.
What is your situation now?

Hair_Cook

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not bad but not vey good either. Diffuse shed and itch often means inflamattion and an underlying disease like eczema. You should treat that condition if you have one so you should get an appointment from a dermatologist or maybe post close-up photos of your scalp under daylight.
The good news is that if it is eczema or folliculitis it does not cause permanent hairloss and shedding will decrease once you treat the disease. By the way don't expect too much regrowth if you eliminate diseases because shedding in and on itself can be your genetics. I mean some people shed more hair, especially diffuse thinners since their hair cycles are shorter due to miniaturization, and it does not mean baldness. Also you search forum for treaments and decide whether you'll use them or not. My best.