diffuse hair loss? Am i a good candidate? Picture attached.

strikernr

Reaction score
Guys, this maybe a dumb question but what is 'diffuse hair loss'? Is it gradual thinning of of hair from top? And why is diffuse hair loss difficult to treat with hair transplant? I first experienced hair loss at 21. I just turned 24 last week and have been using Rogain 2% for a month. I have gone through on bottle so far. To give you an idea of how my hair looks like now, i posted a pic below.
http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/nov05-2005.JPG

From judging my pic, do you believe i will be good candidate of hair transplant in future and the treatment will be possible in my case without shock loss or other disappointing results?

jeffsss

Reaction score
Re: diffuse hair loss? Am i a good candidate? Picture attach

strikernr said:
From judging my pic, do you believe i will be good candidate of hair transplant in future and the treatment will be possible in my case without shock loss or other disappointing results?

judging by your pic i believe you'd be a good canidate for Rogaine.

G

Diffused thinning is evidence of hair affected by DHT and intially displays a visual effect of thinning, not necessarily recession. Why is is this visual thinning evident especially when the underlying scalp begins to show?

It is loss of hair caliper. The hairs are not as fat and coarse as they were before DHT began its toll. In other words they are getting "skinnier" with time and do not provide the scalp coverage like they used too. Most competent hair transplant doctors will advise you that hair caliper is the single most important factor in obtaining scalp coverage. Many of us lay people thought or think it's density, not true. Oh sure, density obviously has it's play into the equation but the "fatter" each hair is the more coverage gained as compared to thin hairs.

And that's also why shockloss can be a real dilemma for those with a diffused thinning pattern. The weaker natural hair adversely affected by DHT can be more prone to fall out related to the trauma caused by the recipient incisions. Shockloss is unpredictable but good docs will advise you of several additional measures to employ pre-operatively which "may" help to reduce the effects of shockloss. Many of them will also advise smaller sessions vs the megasession approach for diffused thinners. Less incisions, less trauma, less shockloss. See what I mean? So don't worry, a diffused thinning pattern does not imply you are not a candidate for hair restoration surgery. But rather work with a proven, ethical hair transplant doctor who will honestly provide you with the best approaches for your own unique sutuation. Take care! :)