diffuse above the ear?

THFC

Reaction score
hi, i have some diffuse thinning above the ear behind the ear, basically in the so called 'donor' area....i do have classic signs of male pattern baldness, receeding at the temples and crown thinning, however i have noticed that the area above and around my ears are thinning too....my fathers male pattern baldness did not include any loss at the sides, does anyone have any idea of what it could possibly other then thyroid problem?...i have had my thyroid checked and apparently it is fine...thanks

whimull

Reaction score
funny i have the exact same thing, thinning at front and receding hairline but also hair loss above the ears however although you can see apparent loss of hair at front, the areas above the ears have stayed roughly the same thickness. Strange

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
Trust me when I say it's stress guys. I've been a member here a while. Even if you don't THINK you're stressed out, chances are, you're very stressed.

I had the same exact thing. I noticed normal hair loss before I turned 23. Then I started stressing HEAVILY about lots of things. (hairloss, many personal problems).

My hair got thin above and behind my ears the entire year I was 23 years old. It looked like $hit even dry. I figured I had only a year to go before all my hair went bye bye.

2 years later, I'm still losing my hair in normal areas ( :( )....BUT my hair is nice and thick on non male pattern baldness areas. It's no longer "straw" like

My thyroid has always been normal btw.

So try and relax and take a multi-vitamin :lol:
Make sure your blood pressure etc. is ok too. Mine was high during the "stressful" period. Not healthy

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its from playing football or riding motorcycles - I have the same thing. Its called traction alopecia and its from the helmet rubbing the sides of your head when you take it on/off over and over again over the course of years.

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the same thing going on. My back of head donor area is also getting thinner.

It seems common from what I have noticed in other young guys at college these days.

So, don't believe the hair transplant surgeons who say donor hair is permanent. At most, it will buy you a decade or two.

Body hair is probably more permanent and I am collecting pics of body hair transplants on my website. Hopefully, many more surgeons will offer it soon.

THFC

Reaction score
stabber you maybe right, and thinning....lol...i dnt wear helmets...but yeh thanks guys