Difference between Regaine and Kirkland?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Status

You know, in the course of research for one of my papers on economics, I came across a study that delved into buying habits of 'average' versus 'rich' consumers.

'Rich' consumers tended to be LESS inclined to buy status items, on the whole. In detail, 'rich' consumers tended to buy higher status cars, and a few other items, but beyond that, their tastes were LESS affected by status than did those of 'average' income earners.

The most dramatic difference was in two areas, apparel, and foodstuffs. In apparel, 'average' income consumers were much more inclined to buy items such as a Louis Vuitton wallet than did 'rich' people. Additionally, 'average' people tend to buy more name-brand foodstuffs, wheras 'rich' people were more inclined to buy the store-brand, or 'plain-wrap'.

It was a fascinating read. The 'average' consumer was, in summary, much more status-conscious than was the 'rich' consumer.

G

This kinda sh*t happens everywhere.

Volkswagen Car Manufacturers also own SEAT, and what many people don't realise is a SEAT Leon is a Volkswagen Golf with a different bodystyle and interior.

SEAT Leon's are significantly cheaper than VW Golf's

sam-

Established Member
Reaction score
well, I somehow disagree with that, you can’t compare a factory located in US manufacturing products according to the highest industrial standards and its under control from many governmental agencies, to another factory located somewhere else without that control nor quality.

hardcastle

Reaction score
Agreed. I could probably cut my finasteride expenses dramatically if I was willing to buy Proscar off the web, but I'd rather pay more for something from CVS, and know what I'm getting is legit and presumably safe.

I think of it as paying for peace of mind.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sam- said:
well, I somehow disagree with that, you can’t compare a factory located in US manufacturing products according to the highest industrial standards and its under control from many governmental agencies, to another factory located somewhere else without that control nor quality.

Sam, god bless America, and don't let anyone on this forum tell you that you should use filthy merchandise from the 'outside' world.

Baldie

Established Member
Reaction score
TynanW said:
Sam, god bless America, and don't let anyone on this forum tell you that you should use filthy merchandise from the 'outside' world.

Yep, only Americans know how to make quality products.

Look at cars like Volvo (one of the safest cars in many tests) or the highly technically advanced country of Japan...they are nothing compared to the good U S of A.

Baldie

Established Member
Reaction score
TynanW said:
Sam, god bless America, and don't let anyone on this forum tell you that you should use filthy merchandise from the 'outside' world.

Yep, only Americans know how to make quality products.

Look at cars like Volvo (one of the safests cars in many tests) or the highly technically advanced country of Japan...they are nothing compared to the good old U S of A.

reyn

Reaction score
Before this thread gets any uglier, let me point out that private label branding (aka store branding) is done in many 'first world' countries - not just in the US. When manufacturer of national brands (such as Rogaine) sell products to retailers who then sell them under their own 'store brand' name (such as Kirkland), the manufacturer, the retailer and the consumer all benefit. The manufacturer is able to tap into a different (usually more price sensitive) market segment, is able to run production facilities at a higher capacity and thus enjoy economies of scale (lower production costs per unit) etc. The store brands are much lower in price because the marketing expenses are minimal.

Manufacturers of national brands who also manufacture store brands usually restrict the production volumes of the store brand product when the economy is doing well (presumably because consumers are less price sensitive), and increase production of the store brands when there is an economic downturn.

Not all consumers would want to buy the less expensive store brands even if they know that the store brands are as good as the national brand. For example, in the US it has been shown that even adults who have no problems buying store brand cough medication for themselves will tend to buy the national brand medication for their young children.