difference between Generic Finasteride and Propecia

booghi

Reaction score
hi, I'm 23 and need to start taking Propecia, while doing research on where to buy, I'm confused about the difference between these two!!(or is there any difference at all?)
I know Finasteride is basically the same as Propecia...

- - - Updated - - -

and also what are proscar and fincar?
thanks experts :)

Raz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride is the active ingredient in Propecia as well as Proscar, Fincar and all other generic Propecia-esque Finasteride-drugs. This essentially means that the effect of all these drugs is the same (with the same dosage), as the active ingredient is the same. The difference is in the fact that Propecia is developed by Merck specifically for targeting the treating of male pattern baldness, thus it has 1mg of Finasteride per pill.

The generic variants with the same active ingredient (Proscar and the others) have 5mg of Finasteride per pill and they are mainly used for Prostrate issues in men. But as the active ingredient is the same, people simply cut down those 5mg pills in fourths or fifths for 1.25mg or 1mg of Finasteride, thus being able to use the same pill for 4 or 5 days for the same effect. Cutting pills is easy, as you can get a pill-cutter from pharmacies for like a few bucks.

The reason people (including me) opt for the generic version is that - provided you can get it prescribed or ordered in legit form - you will have the same benefit for much cheaper!

To give you an example, I asked my doctor to prescribe me the generic Finasteride pill they sell in here in Finland, instead of official Propecia. The costs?

100 pills of Gefina (generic Finasteride, 5mg per pill) = 40$. These will last me 400 days, as I cut each pill in 4 parts. costs me 40$ for 400 days.
98 pills of official, brand-name Propecia = 306$ or so. As these pills only have 1mg of Finasteride in them, I could use them for 98 days. This means that for 400 days, I'd spend roughly 1220$ (98 days times 4, roughly).

Same effectiveness with either pill, whilst the other one costs me 40$ in 400 days and the other 1220$ in 400 days. Seems like a no-brainer to me. (Note that these prices are only for Finland, but the effect should be similar globally).

Hope this helped, best of luck.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi it is generic.. The reason it says 'Propecia' as well is because it is just a well-known brand name so that some people who are new to hair loss treatment know that it (the generic version) has the same active ingredient (finasteride) as Propecia.

booghi

Reaction score
hi it is generic.. The reason it says 'Propecia' as well is because it is just a well-known brand name so that some people who are new to hair loss treatment know that it (the generic version) has the same active ingredient (finasteride) as Propecia.

but as our friend explained earlier: "The generic variants with the same active ingredient (Proscar and the others) have 5mg of Finasteride per pill"
however, in the link I sent, if u zoom in the picture it says it's a 1mg finasteride. , so it's Propecia not Generic?! am I right?!

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry I am a bit confused about what you are asking...Are you saying if it's 1mg, it is Propecia? If that's what you are asking, the answer is 'NO'. Propecia is a just brand name (manufactured by Merck)!!

Propecia (brand name) : each tablet contains 1mg of Finasteride
Proscar (brand name) : each tablet contains 5mg of Finasteride

if you google serching for Finasteride, there are many diffrent brand names out there. For example, Finax (by dr reddy's) contains 1mg Finasteride (each tablet) but Finax is NOT Propecia because the manufactures are different. Do they have the same active ingredient? 'Yes' 1mg Finasteride.

Apo-Finasteride 5 contains 5mg Finasteride (each tablet) but is it Proscar? 'NO' it is not. But they both have the same active ingredents. It doesn't matter what brand you take.

hope that clears things up for you!

I

ibugor

propecia and proscar both contain finasteride:

one proscar tablet=5mg finasteride
one propecia tab=1mg finsasteride

Look pillcomparer.com/propecia-vs-proscar.html

Therefore by splitting the proscar into 1/4's you achieve approximately 1 mg of finasteride, the equivalent of taking propecia; note: it is difficult to split a proscar tab into 1/5's so people usually just split it into 1/4's

Last edited by a moderator:

BrentKey

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have used both generic and propecia. Noticed zero difference..! I've been on generic finasteride for almost a year now. I have had zero sides, and my hair loss has stabilized which is what finasteride is supposed to do. I got little if any regrowth from it.
propdif.png

Last edited:

abcdefg

Reaction score
True, but a lot of doctors wont prescribe you the generic finasteride because its not approved for hair loss. Only propecia and its generics are really for male pattern baldness although its the same drug. It wont hurt to ask for the generic finasteride, and if not just take the propecia. Propecia is very expensive though even the generics are still expensive which makes you wonder why generic finasteride is so much cheaper if not just to price gouge people

Bluewithinblue

My Regimen
Reaction score
I buy Finasteride 1 Mg tablets at my local Well pharmacy (UK) . Propecia was costing me £85 for 56 (2 months supply). Aindeem now costs me £21. The pharmacist assured me that the active ingredient is the same.