dieing your hair

G

will dieing your hair hurt it at all i want to make mine darker?

c

Established Member
Reaction score
Unless you have an ultra sensitive scalp then i doubt it would be bad. Continual dying will affect the quality of your hair, but you can just counter that by using a treatment conditioner of some sort. Hair dying, in my experience, does not encourage hair loss at all.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dieing your hair fries your scalp.......its not good for it ..if your going to die your hair ...either die the tips or use Henna die which is safe for the scalp.

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dieing your hair will not harm you hair if it's done right. Go to a good hairstylist. A lot of people die there hair to hide thinning. Do not bleach your hair that is bad for your hair even if your not lossing your hair.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
i bleach my tips, because i have black hair and need to lighten the tips to make them brown to help cover my thinning somewhat. the bleach is only on the tips of my hair for about 15mins, and i use "scalp soother", which is a scalp conditioner that removes any buildup that may be left on the scalp from the dye, and then a normal hair conditioner.

do you think my scalp will be affected, and hairloss sped up as a result?

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the stress/damage to hair caused by dyeing depends on the product used and how it is used. For example, a permanent dye that uses a high concentration of peroxide + ammonia for a long duration of time will cause more stress/damage than a temporary dye with a lower concentration of peroxide and no ammonia and a short duration of exposure.

I have recently (past 6 months used Clairols' "Natural Instincts For Men". This is a Temporary coloring that lasts about 6 weeks, contains no ammonia, and has a low concentration of peroxide. The color gradually fades over the 6 weeks as your new roots grow in so you don't see the line of demarcation of where the hair was dyed. As long as you are just trying to dye out the grey and not change your hair color, the duration of the time you leave it on your scalp is relatively shorter. http://www.clairol.com/brand/naturalins ... en/why.jsp

Also, that fine white peach fuzz will also get dyed and help cover the balding areas. Sort of like applying Toppik or Couvre, but having it last 6 weeks.

BTW, the heat associated with blow drying your hair can damage your hair and scalp. I wander how many of you are concerned about or thought about that???

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Does not matter if you bleach your tips or your roots. Bleaching kills the hair. If your smart than you will drop the bleach.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
It DOES matter if you bleach the roots or tips.

just bleaching the tips won't do any harm and does not effect the whole hair. It just effects the part that's bleached.

BHD

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
I did a Medline search for the past 5 years and found these 2 interesting articles:

An ultrastuctural study of hair fiber damage and restoration following treatment with permanent hair dye.
Int J Dermatol 2002 Feb;41(2):88-92 (ISSN: 0011-9059)
Ahn HJ; Lee WS Department of Dermatology, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, Kangwon-Do 220-701, Republic of Korea.
INTRODUCTION: Hair fibers are comprised of non-nucleated keratinocytes and are biologically dead. Clinical damage to the hair shaft occurs with the application of hair dye. Whether this damage can be repaired and the time frame involved is of interest and may help to determine the optimal interval between repeat applications. AIMS AND METHODS: Ultrastructural changes of hair shafts after application of permanent hair dye were observed sequentially in a 26-year-old woman. The dye contained p-phenylenediamine, m-aminophenol, resorcin and hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizer. Scanning and transmission electron microscopy was performed immediately before application of the hair dye and again at 30 min, 1 h, 3 h, 6 h, 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and 8 weeks. RESULTS: The hair showed cuticular swelling with focal degeneration. In some places there was exposure of the hair cortex due to extensive cuticular detachment. There were many holes of various size in the endocuticle, small focal lacunae along the intercellular space and an ill-defined A-layer especially beneath the area of cuticular detachment. The exocuticle appeared normal. The findings were most dramatic in the 6 h and 1 day specimens and tended to improve gradually thereafter. The 8 week specimen showed near complete restoration of the hair cuticle and return to the precoloring state. CONCLUSION: Hair returns to its precoloring state and this requires 8 weeks.

J Cosmet Sci 2001 Nov-Dec;52(6):377-89 (ISSN: 1525-7886)
Pande CM; Albrecht L; Yang B Clairol Inc., 2 Blachley Road, Stamford, CT 06922, USA.
We have found that hair dyes protect hair against photodamage. The efficacy of photoprotection of dye products has been measured by monitoring the tensile strength of hair fibers and the integrity of the disulfide bonds in the fibers. Although the hair dyed with permanent dye products are initially weakened due to oxidative chemical damage, they also show a slower rate of degradation upon photoirradiation, compared to the undyed hair. Thus, a less appreciated benefit of using hair colors is their ability to provide protection against sun damage.

G

ACT10Npack said:
Bleaching kills the hair.

not true, bleach may harm the scalp or follicle, but hair itself is already dead from the day it pops out of your head.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
well the follices is what matter to the balding process and the follicles alone. i think as long as you dye or bleach the tips you should be ok. but, i do still think it can have an effect. see, if you bleach your hair, tiny amounts of the chemical can run down your hair and onto your scalp. so either use a bleaching cap, and/or wash your hair afterwards with a scalp soother (the kind containing aloe vera), because it neutralises the chemicals left on the scalp. jerome russell do a good version, its available from boots in the uk and online too for you US buddies. otherwise, wash with a shamppo and conditioner after you bleach and try to keep bleaching time to a minimum :)

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
i tell ya, my mom and sister both color their hair, and i got used to using their shampoo and conditioner, and i love it man. It might not be all that strong, but every other shampoo just dries the hell out of my hair. But, im not sure if its bad for my hair, what are your guys opinions about these products? not a good idea for hair that isnt colored?
sorry for my ignorance fellas.