Diddy's Back - 6 mos Proscar update - Good news guys!

Diddy

Established Member
Reaction score
well, I can't beleive i've been cutting up this sh*t for 6 months already. Verdict? Well, three weeks ago it just hit me. sh*t, my hair is so much better. My hair has definately undoubtably thickened. Especially in the mid vertex. My hair is not quite back to how it was when i was 16 (5 years ago, and back then i had *really* thick hair) but it is probably back to how it was a year and a half ago. I remember being at a club 6 months ago, and standing under a bright light. I looked in the mirror, and could see scalp all through my front hairline. Well just last week i was in a similiar position, and all i could see was thick black hair. Seriously, i can't see scalp ever. Unless i purposely part my hair ackward, i never see scalp showing thru.
Now it's not all good, although my thickness is great, my hairline still has receded somewhat throughout this whole ordeal but.... for some reason i just have a feeling that its going to start creeping forward...my hair just keeps getting better almost daily.

Finally there is something weird... I didn't really exprience any side effects, aside from being impotent for 4-5 days right around the first week or so, but this whole summer, i've been unable to develop a proper tan. Like usually all my life i can get a nice brown coat. But this summer...nada...i mean i can either burn, or nothing. After burning i'm kinda darker for a day or so, but then my skin goes back to normal. This kinda ties into my other observation, my skin kind of sucks lately. It looks kinda dry and old. especially my forehead. I mean i can moisturize, and the top layer is all shiny, but the skin underneath just looks dry and ..old... it's hard to describe. Also the lines in my forehead have become more pronounced. Maybe its just all part of getting older (people do start to go downhill after the age of 21) but i dunno, just kinda happened all of a sudden.

This is getting long, but... seriously, i have grown some hair back, and i'm just an average kid. Posting this message will probably jinx me, and i'll lose it all next week, but regardless, propecia is a drug that does grow hair in average people. Everyones negative posts back when i was considering starting all freaked me out, but i say forget it. Take the sh*t because it works. Who knows how much more hair i'll grow, or if it'll all fall out next week, but all i know is my hair is better now then it was all of the past year+.

My regimine again: Quartered proscar daily for 6 mos. Nizoral 2-3 times a week for almost a year now. GSE, ZINC, CLA, FLAXSEED, VIT C, GREEN TEA EXTRACT. Tried zix but stopped b/c its crap.

Also any skin tips??, i'm starting to get bothered by my skin, my face is looking old. I moisturize daily, use a scrub weekly, and wash my face 2x a day. But my skin is looking shittttyyy lately. But, regardless, i'd rather have shitty skin and look 25, then be a bald 21 year old and look 35.

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i've been unable to develop a proper tan. Like usually all my life i can get a nice brown coat

Be proud to be white!

Posting this message will probably jinx me, and i'll lose it all next week

True!

i'm starting to get bothered by my skin, my face is looking old

Your a man, not a an ad model for oil of olay, grow a beard! But seriously, i think my facial skin is looking "shittier" since starting fina. Probably nothing to do with it...who knows? However, too much sun WILL age ones skin!

Well done! Keep up the good work! These are the kind of posts guys need to hear. And remember, you always have minoxidil to call on when progress halts.

Luther007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Awesome news, It's always good to hear encouragement, there is so much negativity on these boards!

I just started finasteride myself so i'm still apprehensive (I didn't consult my doctor though--I don't think he would give me a prescription, he's already told me I have male pattern baldness, and Propecia is ridiculously expensive anyway), but I'm pretty confident about it and I've caught my hairloss pretty early so If I can postpone it for twenty years (or even ten) that's worth it.

(people do start to go downhill after the age of 21)

don't worry! You *are* at peak physical condition at 21 but you will stay that way until about 25, THEN you start to decline. So you got a few years of glory.

Keep it up man, "persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".

-Luther

Take Vitamin E 400IU and Selenium 100mcg a day for the skin. Use aloe vera too (the wunderplant). Nivea for Men has some good skin stuff as well. Although I don't think putting cream on your face is all that necessary when you are in your early twenties.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
people do start to go downhill after the age of 21

gee, I guess at age 31 I should just give up and get a walker!

Seriously, I take offense at that statement. I am in great shape now at 31 due to my health regimen. Hell, Andre Agassi outlasts 21yo players all the time and he's 33! You are at your "peak" in your early 20's but this doesnt mean you cant maintain great physical health way into your 60's with proper lifestyle choices.

Thanks for sharing your success. I personally quit proscar just cuz it began to make me too nervous. Its good stuff for the hair tho.

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
I too took offense to the people go downhill at the age of 21 statement. I'm in better shape now than I was 10 years ago. But that's not the point. I work harder at it now. If I had worked as hard then, I would've been in better shape than I am now.

I think I remember reading that peak physical performance in a male occurs around age 27/28. Of course, that can vary dramatically from sport to sport.

The Andre Agassi reference is a good one. He'll tell us that he works harder and is in just as good or better shape than he was when he was 20. But two things are very different today;

1. He performs much closer to his maximum potential today BECAUSE he trains so hard.
2. He's a much SMARTER player today than he was 10 years ago.

jerry grant

Axon

Reaction score
I'm much stronger at and in better shape at 24 than I was at 21. I think your 20's, the entire decade, is your peak. 30's are not bad, 40 is probably a noticable decline, though still no real problems if you eat right, don't smoke, etc...

Even the 50s and 60s can be fine, provided you make the proper choices.

Diddy

Established Member
Reaction score
i just mean skin quality. My main concern is that my skin seems unusually aged lately all of a sudden, beyond that of the average 21 y/o, and it just kinda crept up really fast in the past 6 months. As far as physical health, i totally agree, you probably max out around 26-27, and then things go down. I'm personally in my best shape ever, my body fat is very low, and i'm about 5-6 pounds leaner then before taking proscar.

bombscience

Reaction score
Diddy! Great news. Is your only medication Finasteride? What else are you doing to fight hairloss.

shivs

Established Member
Reaction score
Exfoliate and moisturize :rockon: I bought dmae with ntp complex and it makes your skin tighten up pretty good for about an hour when you first apply it.

zaireeka

Reaction score
peak physical fitness for professional football players (or 'soccer' players as most of you probably call them) is 27-30. im 27 and in a hell of a lot better shape than when i was 21, but that could be cos im not a lazy student these days, i dont know :)

anyway, thanks for the positive post about propecia, im just about to start (when the generic online people finally get my order through to me.. been waiting almost a month!) and its good to hear people having positive results - almost gave up on the idea after reading so many people complaining about the side-effects.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
As for the older looking skin.. i'm near certain it's the propecia.

I've done the full test.. I was on proscar at age 19-20.. And i saw lines on my forehead appearing and skin looking like crap.. When I went off it I saw that a few years later things got a lot better for my skin.. the lines on my forehead literally dissapeared. Now that i'm back on it.. I have lines next to my eyes.. the forehead wrinkles are back.. and in general my skin looks worse. More saggy, less tight.

Pretty sure this is some hormonal aspect of the drug.. and things should somewhat (or totally) reverse once you get off.. But you have to choose the hair or your skin.. I just really hope this side effect isn't permanent. I do know it reverses at least to some degree.. but it takes a long *** time after quitting the drug for it to happen.

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

Diddy, can you post any pics?!!! It'd be great to see even if you don't have the baseline photos.

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would add that peak strength age is 26-30, which corresponds to the years where testosterone is highest.