Diagnosis Is Most Likely Telegon Effluvium?

Hannah fletcher

My Regimen
Reaction score
After doing to see a dermatologist privately on Tuesday I'm confused, he said there was 2 possibilities but the one he's most confident with is telegon effluvium and after doing a pull test he said it's in resolution thankfully! He said the other diagnosis would of been androgenic alopecia, I was recently found to have extremely high levels of testosterone and have most symptoms of pcos, my question is how can he be so sure it was just telegon effluvium and not just female pattern hair loss, my hair shedding has slowed down massively thankfully but my eyebrows and lashes are still shedding more than normal, is that a sign of fphl? I'd be very greatful for any help as the last appointment cost alot and I don't have the money to fork out for a second opinion just yet! Thankyou Hannah x

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
After doing to see a dermatologist privately on Tuesday I'm confused, he said there was 2 possibilities but the one he's most confident with is telegon effluvium and after doing a pull test he said it's in resolution thankfully! He said the other diagnosis would of been androgenic alopecia, I was recently found to have extremely high levels of testosterone and have most symptoms of pcos, my question is how can he be so sure it was just telegon effluvium and not just female pattern hair loss, my hair shedding has slowed down massively thankfully but my eyebrows and lashes are still shedding more than normal, is that a sign of fphl? I'd be very greatful for any help as the last appointment cost alot and I don't have the money to fork out for a second opinion just yet! Thank you Hannah x

there is a great site for PCOS called Soulcysters.org (or .net not sure)

I do not have PCOS but i was misdiagnosed once due to my hair loss so I had researched it a lot at the time.

I am NOT sure but I think if you have elevated T that your hair loss should be stopped as long as you get your T down via an anti androgen.

I do not know know if the elevated T is the cause of the Androgenic alopecia OR if you are just hereditarily predisposed and the elevated T is making it worse sooner than it would have...this an endocrinologist would probably be a better source OR that website I gave you.

I do know if you have PCOS OR are androgenic alopecia--the treatment is anti androgen medication.

Since your levels is actually elevated its best this comes from oral medication to treat your PCOS.

JUST!!!!!! Make sure what they give you will not accidentally make it worse.

Like if you take Birth Control Pills ( a normal treatment for PCOS) be careful it is not a high testosterone one...thats why its good to read other womens experience who have same syndrome as you...Its not going to be an exact science with everyone unfortunately since hormone meds are complicated.

usually the Birth control pills they prescribe are the low androgen ones--but sometimes those are higher risk for blood clots (its still a tiny number like 3 in a 1000 people I think, and I am not sure how much other factors in health play a roll i.e. smokers, obesity, age etc)
Just do some sane rational research and talk to some women who have same syndrome.

You will probably get some regrowth once you are on Birth control pills and spironolactone which is the usual course of treatment.
If you conceive a child you can NOT be on anti andgroges I think ou have to be off the mediation for a month (check with your doctor) because the blocking of testosterone of DHT when you conceive a male fetus is deforming to the childs genitals, they need the testosterone from your body at the time of conception...when you go off the medication you should just take blood tests with Doctor to make sure you are in the range for normal testosterone.
Your Endo can explain this better just be careful to use birth control.

Once you are on anti androgens you can use minoxidil but to be honest if you T is so high I am not sure if minoxidil is worth it yet...you may want to start both at same time..(I am not sure about this you have to do some research)

Good luck and I do not know why your Doctor is not realizing it is your elevated Testosterone causing hair loss--I would maybe go for a second opinion....request a biopsy--no doubt if you do a punch biopsy.