Derma Roll + Minoxidil Is Okay To Use Same Day?

Erika

My Regimen
Reaction score
is it okay to dermaroll the same day as minoxidil application?

Has anyone used the derma roller then waited a few hours (and not the full 24 hours)?
If so what are your results?
Any side effects?
Thanks xoxo

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes in fact dermaroll is supposed to help with absorption

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are talking 1.5mm or .5mm?? Usually people either use the 1.5mm once a week and dont use topicals on that day, or they use topicals after .5mm dermarolling to increase absorbtion.

Erika

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are talking 1.5mm or .5mm?? Usually people either use the 1.5mm once a week and dont use topicals on that day, or they use topicals after .5mm dermarolling to increase absorbtion.

I use 0.5mm.
But like RIGHT after? While the scalp is still a little pink?

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use 0.5mm.
But like RIGHT after? While the scalp is still a little pink?
I don't use .5mm and I don't know.
Id guess depends how irritating it is for every individual. Expirement and use your judgement. Use the minoxidil as soon after you can without inflamming the scalp.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
The Indian study recommended application of Minoxidil after 24 hours and not to repeat for six weeks. I would agree with that protocol. But, if you want to go crazy with it, well, you'll get plenty of encouragement on this forum, I'm sure. Good Luck!

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started out with 0.25mm, then worked my way up to 0.5mm, and currently on 1mm.
From the beginning, I've always applied Minoxidil immediately after. Since I moved onto 1mm, there appears to be very light bleeding so I get into the habit of rinsing it in shower after dermarolling, then applied Minoxidil once hair is mostly dry.
I now do 1mm 1-2 times a week and either apply Minoxidil after washing hair, or immediately after (if I feel too lazy to wash hair).
I have been doing dermarolling for a year now, and so far not noticed any side effects from Minoxidil.
I guess what I am watching the most is the recovery from a dermarolling session; if it doesn't appear that your scalp feels 'normal' again (as before the rolling), I wouldn't subject the scalp to another session yet. It was mentioned in another thread that over-usage could cause micro-scarring, which leads to hair loss.
Other than that, I am relatively happy with dermaroling; I feel that it has made my scalp feel healthier with no more itch (except a little during the recovery process), and less oily and no more dandruff.

Ascension

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't use .5mm and I don't know.
Id guess depends how irritating it is for every individual. Expirement and use your judgement. Use the minoxidil as soon after you can without inflamming the scalp.
Ive heard and read though that inflammation is important after microneedling 1.5mm for the most potential gained in growth factors and all the benefits of microneedling. My scalp is almost always inlfammed for a few hours after wounding but it feels like its full of blood isnt that good?