Derm didn't know about dutasteride?

Caerus

Reaction score
I was at a visit to the dermatologist, and I was hoping to maybe get a prescription for dutasteride, but he said he hadn't even heard of it... We talked about how I had been on propecia without great results and he said he didn't think it worked very well for anyone. I mentioned dutasteride and he said he had never heard of it...god I am having such a hard time getting some.

Pondle

Reaction score
Sounds like your derm is a bit crap. But dutasteride isn't licensed for the treatment of hair loss, so the only way to get it is through an online pharmacy.

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
Your doctor might be the person to ask. Mine opened up his Compendium of Medical Knowledge (okay, it might not have been called that), saw that it was used to treat BPH just like finasteride, shrugged, and said if I wanted to try it he would let me.

Don't think I can afford to though. :( I might have to settle for Indian generics, which I'll take alongside the finasteride just in case the dutasteride is fake.

Caerus

Reaction score
Cassin said:
dutasteride for hair loss is an obscure treatment.
true but still, I mean I would expect a doctor like that to know more than I did about possible treatments.

Cassin

Reaction score
Caerus said:
Cassin said:
dutasteride for hair loss is an obscure treatment.
true but still, I mean I would expect a doctor like that to know more than I did about possible treatments.

Hair loss itself is not a big issue for derms as not many go to them for hair loss.

male pattern baldness is simple to them, you lose hair, patient takes one of two FDA approved treatments or not. You were probably the first to ever ask about it and I doubt it has ever popped up in a seminar or publication they have read on hair loss. If your derm asked 10 of their peers about it I bet they have had the same experience. The number of people who have hair loss that treat it is very small, and the number of people who treat it and use dutasteride is even smaller.

Anyway, derms are more worried about high dollar botox treatments and "real" skin issues.

G

i would wager that there are less than 10,000 people in the entire United States using dutasteride for hair loss. Anyone think it's more than that? I figure if we estimate that maybe 800,000 Americans are on Propecia or Proscar, and maybe that's too high, that the number on the unapproved dutasteride is probably 10,000 or less. Maybe a million are on minoxidil but I doubt even that many. Plus there's some overlap

Considering that we have about 150 million men in this country, with maybe 115 million above age 20 when balding typically starts, and the fact that less than 1.5 million people are probably on any kind of real treatment like finasteride or dutasteride or minoxidil, basically about 1.5% of people are on any kind of treatment for their baldness. This is not super accurate though because many people who are bald in this country have reached their final stage of baldness, whether it be NW5, NW6, NW7, or whatever. Meds probably won't do a lot for these people(obviously there are exceptions like SkylineGTR, but I consider him an exceptional responder) so they don't bother to get on it.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
i would wager that there are less than 10,000 people in the entire United States using dutasteride for hair loss. Anyone think it's more than that? I figure if we estimate that maybe 800,000 Americans are on Propecia or Proscar, and maybe that's too high, that the number on the unapproved dutasteride is probably 10,000 or less. Maybe a million are on minoxidil but I doubt even that many. Plus there's some overlap

Considering that we have about 150 million men in this country, with maybe 115 million above age 20 when balding typically starts, and the fact that less than 1.5 million people are probably on any kind of real treatment like finasteride or dutasteride or minoxidil, basically about 1.5% of people are on any kind of treatment for their baldness. This is not super accurate though because many people who are bald in this country have reached their final stage of baldness, whether it be NW5, NW6, NW7, or whatever. Meds probably won't do a lot for these people(obviously there are exceptions like SkylineGTR, but I consider him an exceptional responder) so they don't bother to get on it.

Not a bad estimation, but I think there would be more than expected, otherwise all these Interent pharmacies (and there's a lot of them) wouldn't be able to survive.

Cassin

Reaction score
hellohello said:
Not a bad estimation, but I think there would be more than expected, otherwise all these Interent pharmacies (and there's a lot of them) wouldn't be able to survive.

It is so cheap to throw up a web page.Your inventory for some of these places is no more than closet space and its so easy for people in other countries to get drugs. They honestly probably spend a few hours a day running such a site and make a decent profit. Then you have to think some of these are simply extensions off their real legit pharmacy.

And for the bigger sites, dutasteride is a very minor aspect of the site.

powersam

Reaction score
Cassin said:
hellohello said:

It is so cheap to throw up a web page.Your inventory for some of these places is no more than closet space and its so easy for people in other countries to get drugs. They honestly probably spend a few hours a day running such a site and make a decent profit. Then you have to think some of these are simply extensions off their real legit pharmacy.

And for the bigger sites, dutasteride is a very minor aspect of the site.

not even closet space for many, dropshipping means they dont even have to have stock.

plus hairloss drugs would make up a tiny percentage of the actual drug sales made online. eclipsed by v****, anti depressants, and various heart medications i would assume. oh and anything involving cholesterol, always a big seller.

G

Cassin said:
JayMan said:
i would wager that there are less than 10,000 people in the entire United States using dutasteride for hair loss. Anyone think it's more than that? .

I would guess that may be about right. Maybe less?

let's not forget too that a substantial percentage of the people who are using it for BPH, are also balding as well, seeing as most men on it for that are in their 50s, 60s, etc.

i also forgot to take a percentage of the estimated 115 million men above age 20. not all are balding. i'd estimate that maybe 50% are from age 20-age 80(or whatever maximum typical male age in this country is). so we have maybe 60 million balding men in this country.

jericson

Reaction score
If your dermatologist had never even heard of dutasteride then I would find a different dermatologist. I mean come on, these guys are supposed to be doctors that stay up to date on this kind of stuff. I know it is not an approved drug, but I think pretty much every guy on here who has had hair loss knows that dutasteride has been proven to reduce DHT. I would think a Dermatologist should know the same and if they don't then they probably aren't staying current on hair loss information. Just my opinion.