Decided to go for it but need help :)

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
Ok so I have decided to go for a hair transplant; I've traveled to Belgium and picked a reputable doctor. The only question I have is it is known that FUE will produce a lesser yield than FUT; but how much less is it? the doctor told me I have excellent donor hair and have around 9000 grafts available (what's the usual amount of grafts one has?). I will go for 3000 grafts but if we say for arguments sake FUT will produce a 100% yield then what wilol be the percentage of FUE? (90, 80%?) Thank you.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
The only question I have is it is known that FUE will produce a lesser yield than FUT;

It is not true my friend. This is a quite common argument of STRIP practitioners, in my opinion STRIP tehnique is ancient and shouldn't be performed anymore, because of the scar.
Are they trying to say that 3000 grafts FUT would produce a better result than 3000 grafts FUE? That is simply not true. There would be the same results.
Well, maybe there never grows all 100% of the transplanted grafts, but this only depends on the skills of the surgoen, let's say if they grow over 95% it is excellent.
The only advantage of FUT is that the doctor can transplant a greater number of grafts in one session.
You can do 3000 FUT's in one day, for 3000 FUE 2 days would be necessary.
But the biggest disadvantage of FUT(STRIP) is the scar you get at the back of head, it means a life commitment to not shave the head or buzz it short ever again.

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
It is not true my friend. This is a quite common argument of STRIP practitioners, in my opinion STRIP tehnique is ancient and shouldn't be performed anymore, because of the scar.
Are they trying to say that 3000 grafts FUT would produce a better result than 3000 grafts FUE? That is simply not true. There would be the same results.
Well, maybe there never grows all 100% of the transplanted grafts, but this only depends on the skills of the surgoen, let's say if they grow over 95% it is excellent.
The only advantage of FUT is that the doctor can transplant a greater number of grafts in one session.
You can do 3000 FUT's in one day, for 3000 FUE 2 days would be necessary.
But the biggest disadvantage of FUT(STRIP) is the scar you get at the back of head, it means a life commitment to not shave the head or buzz it short ever again.

Thank you both for your reply. After looking up studies and various patient experiences I would have to disagree with you. FUT seems to yield better results due to something to do with a fatty layer included with the hair follicle which cannot be extracted with FUE. All the pictures I have seen FUT gives more density and luscious hair (compared with the SAME amount of follicles for FUE). I agree though that the scar is the biggest disadvantage. However Dr Umar implants body hair into the scar to give it a more natural appearance and I'm thinking I would rather have more hair and never shave than waste donor and have the option of shaving. Furthermore FUE does produce little scars I'm told. If you shaved your head to the bone this would be noticeable. Ultimately if you're cut you're cut. Decisions decisions. Think I will go for a 4000 FUT but I am still undecided. One thing is for sure I do want to go down the surgical route.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for your reply. After looking up studies and various patient experiences I would have to disagree with you. FUT seems to yield better results due to something to do with a fatty layer included with the hair follicle which cannot be extracted with FUE. All the pictures I have seen FUT gives more density and luscious hair (compared with the SAME amount of follicles for FUE). I agree though that the scar is the biggest disadvantage. However Dr Umar implants body hair into the scar to give it a more natural appearance and I'm thinking I would rather have more hair and never shave than waste donor and have the option of shaving. Furthermore FUE does produce little scars I'm told. If you shaved your head to the bone this would be noticeable. Ultimately if you're cut you're cut. Decisions decisions. Think I will go for a 4000 FUT but I am still undecided. One thing is for sure I do want to go down the surgical route.
We'll you'll never be able to have your hair shaven without having a horrendous scar showing on the back of your head.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
FUT seems to yield better results due to something to do with a fatty layer included with the hair follicle which cannot be extracted with FUE. All the pictures I have seen FUT gives more density and luscious hair (compared with the SAME amount of follicles for FUE).

Can you elaborate more with this "fatty layer", and why couldn't it be extracted by FUE?
The fact with "i've seen pictures with FUT giving more density at the same amount of follicles" can be VERY misleading. The fact with "luscious hair" is false, simply the hair would look the same regardless of the method it is transplanted.
Photos of hair in general can be misleading.
And after that, be aware that the number of grafts can be misleading too.
A graft can have an average of 1.5 follicles or it can have an average of 2.5 follicles, so the final number of hairs would be different. The quality of hair shaft matters as well.
These arguments can't convince me that STRIP is better than FUE.
Maybe some years ago when FUE was only in its begining, it could have been true that STRIP produced better results, but now there are very experienced surgeons on FUE, the growth rate is over 95% at them, and i'm sure even STRIP can't yield 100%. So for a difference of 2-3 percents to have a nasty scar in the back of your head, i strongly think it isn't worth.

But it is your decision. If you go down the STRIP route, for your own good, do it with a top-class surgeon, not at some ordinary unknown surgeon, this is very important.

And be aware that not only shaving the head would be a problem, if you get the scar, you need to keep the hair in the back much more longer than zero length in shaving, probably some 2 centimeters or more.
I don't know your current hair loss pattern, but suppose after some years , even with the transplant, you will thin drastically on top/crown(only a supposition).
Then your top will be very thin, but you would need to keep the back 2 cm long, that means the "george costanza" look for the rest of your life. At least, with the top thin, if you buzz the sides/back very short, it would be more acceptable, but if you coudln;t buzz the back...then it would be nasty i think.
Body hair into the scar? Hm dr Umar is a good doctor, but i don't think body hair into the scar would match with the thick hair around it...

And yes, i enforce what Fred said, don't look at the money.

- - - Updated - - -

If that's what you want to do to the back of your head, then go STRIP:
strip-hair-transplant.jpg

I don't get how this kind of barbaric graft harvesting technique still exists in 2014...

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, if you say so...it's your decision. Be aware with this "FUE is poorer", it might be only an illusion. Are you sure you compare the same number of follicles? What assures you of that?
You would have to compare patients wiht the same hairloss, the same hair quality, the same average number of follicles per graft, the same light conditon and final result hair length/style/etc. Photos /even videos can be very very misleading.

Doctors of course like STRIP because their work is more easy, they just cut the STRIP, then the nurses/technicians separate the hairs and then they implant.
FUE is much more demanding for them, to punch out thousand(s) of hairs each one individually, being focused to not harm them and to leave the area uniformly "thinned" is much more difficult.
I am not convinced that FUE is poorer at the same number of hairs, can you please provide some pictures to prove that?
To not damage the grafts in the extraction process, it depends only on the skills of the doctor. I think a doctor who does only FUE everyday, not also STRIP, is better at this chapter.

Have in mind that you can't transplant more than 2000 grafts in a whole day FUE session.
You want 4000 grafts, that would mean 2-3 days of FUE work and only 1 day for STRIP.
Chose STRIP if you want but hope you won't regret the scar after years when you would like to buzz all your hair short.
Body hair into the scar doesn't seem a good idea,body hair is very fine compared ti back scalp hair which is very thick.
What's the point with the picture??? Hmm, that butchering of the poor mans scalp doesn;t bother you at all?Isn't it horrific? Then go with it.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
L

I cannot provide you with the pictures you are asking. I

I thought so...

Form the link you posted:
Both techniques - FUE and FUT - have very good success prospects, but: there is no one best or right method - each method has its own pros and cons.

What do you want more??
It doesn't say that FUT is better than FUE anywhere in that article.
He specifically states that both methods can have the same rate of success, both pose risks, the skill of the surgeon is all that matters. Did you really read that and understood that they say FUT is better than FUE? They don't tell such a thing there, so read again.
So??
Only that in FUT , you can transplant more follicles in a single session, if you are so unpatient and greedy and don't mind having 2 procedures.
But you get a scar in the back, and the healing time is longer. Do you know the STRIP scar takes a minimum of 6 months to completely heal? When FUE donor is almost completely healed in 2 weeks?
What's the point in doing one FUT and than body hair into the scar(which isn't guaranteed to work), instead of two FUE's??
Fraxel lasers?
Dude do proper research, now, when you don't have the scar, all is ok, but when you will get the scar you may think differently....
And "very good donor hair" but hairs being very very fine and soft, you contradict yourself.
If the hairs in donor area are "very very fine and soft", i don't want to upset you, but in that case that is not called a"very good donor" at all. Donor hairs must be thick for the result of the transplant to be good.
In fact, top surgeons even don't perform transplants if the hair in the donor area is fine and soft.
Have you had a real consultation at a top doctor??

Think well dude, you seem quite naive.

Stop the word "butchering"??Ok, but that's what is done to your scalp in STRIP, it's the pure truth,

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
Reading your post I can see you either have trouble as English isn't your native language or you are just unintelligent. READ the links I sent instead of just cherry picking quotes for your own convenience. Here are some quotes from the second link I posted as you seem incapable of reading them:

'Generally speaking, grafts extracted vie FUE are much more sensitive, as the extraction technique leaves much less protective tissue around the hair follicles. This ultimately leads to a slightly lower survival rate.'

I am not against FUE. I just believe there are pros and cons to both techniques:

'
Both techniques - FUE and FUT - have very good success prospects, but: there is no one best or right method - each method has its own pros and cons.'

This doctor is one of the best surgeons in the world.

Sigh... I am not contradicting myself by saying my donor hair is fine and soft. This is simply my hair type. The diameter of your hair shaft can be fine and still have loads of super thick hair (in terms of quantity). This is just my hair type and has nothing to do with male pattern baldness. I have been told by two top surgeons I have at least 10000 donor hairs because my NW7 area is dense; but each hair is FINE. My donor hair I was told was of the best quality to be transplanted; it is soft and wavy and both surgeons said this was to my advantage.
FUT scars from the best surgeons in the world now are very minimal due to
trichophytic closure. Why don't you answer my question and tell me why the best surgeons are still performing this procedure. I have had two consults in Belgium with two of the most recommended surgeons. Here is another lovely video of scar repair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhdMrx9oDfo

Fraxel laser is something which reduces the appearance of scars.

Stop calling me dude.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Reading your post I can see you either have trouble as English isn't your native language or you are just unintelligent. READ the links I sent instead of just cherry picking quotes for your own convenience. Here are some quotes from the second link I posted as you seem incapable of reading them:

'Generally speaking, grafts extracted vie FUE are much more sensitive, as the extraction technique leaves much less protective tissue around the hair follicles. This ultimately leads to a slightly lower survival rate.'

I am not against FUE. I just believe there are pros and cons to both techniques:

'
Both techniques - FUE and FUT - have very good success prospects, but: there is no one best or right method - each method has its own pros and cons.'

This doctor is one of the best surgeons in the world.

Sigh... I am not contradicting myself by saying my donor hair is fine and soft. This is simply my hair type. The diameter of your hair shaft can be fine and still have loads of super thick hair (in terms of quantity). This is just my hair type and has nothing to do with male pattern baldness. I have been told by two top surgeons I have at least 10000 donor hairs because my NW7 area is dense; but each hair is FINE. My donor hair I was told was of the best quality to be transplanted; it is soft and wavy and both surgeons said this was to my advantage.
FUT scars from the best surgeons in the world now are very minimal due to
trichophytic closure. Why don't you answer my question and tell me why the best surgeons are still performing this procedure. I have had two consults in Belgium with two of the most recommended surgeons. Here is another lovely video of scar repair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhdMrx9oDfo

Fraxel laser is something which reduces the appearance of scars.

Stop calling me dude.

Dude, you are ridiculous and naive. And arrogant.
And, for the record, i didn't give you negative rep. It was pathetic for you to give that to me.
Anyway, be advised that fine hair doesn't give good results in transplant.
Follicles are finer->you need more transplanted for a good result.

You were to top doctors in Belgium?
As i know ******** sends patients with fine donor hair home.
Fine hair cannot be "the best quality for transplant", i think you may have problems with "intelligence" if you think so.
10.000 "very fine" hairs could equal 5000 more thicker(in size of follicle) hair. If you don't get that, then ...i don't want to comment.
BE AWARE my friend, it's guys like you with this arrogance and at the same time naivety who then cry and regret what they did.
Anyway, i wish you all the best!

- - - Updated - - -

Oooh, and to ask your original question, at top surgeons, the rate of graft survival in FUE is over 95 %.
I don't think it's full 100% even in STRIP.

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, you are ridiculous and naive. And arrogant.
And, for the record, i didn't give you negative rep. It was pathetic for you to give that to me.
Anyway, be advised that fine hair doesn't give good results in transplant.
Follicles are finer->you need more transplanted for a good result.

You were to top doctors in Belgium?
As i know ******** sends patients with fine donor hair home.
Fine hair cannot be "the best quality for transplant", i think you may have problems with "intelligence" if you think so.
10.000 "very fine" hairs could equal 5000 more thicker(in size of follicle) hair. If you don't get that, then ...i don't want to comment.
BE AWARE my friend, it's guys like you with this arrogance and at the same time naivety who then cry and regret what they did.
Anyway, i wish you all the best!

- - - Updated - - -

Oooh, and to ask your original question, at top surgeons, the rate of graft survival in FUE is over 95 %.
I don't think it's full 100% even in STRIP.

You don't 'ask' my question you 'answer' it. Don't use words in English you don't understand. I find it comical how you can discern 'guys like me' from me typing a couple of posts. I'm not the sort of guy who cries over something like a hair transplant; I cry over more meaningful things in my life. Don't make assumptions. Don't use words in English you don't understand; I'm not naive; I know about all different types of surgical and non surgical hair loss solutions. I know about drugs that work and concealers. I'm not against FUE I am saying there are advantages and disadvantages to both.
If that is the case with ******** I guess my hair is not as fine as I thought as I haven't been sent away from anybody; they praised my high density wavy/curly hair as good characteristics.
What I find more amusing is how you ignore the links I have posted. Feriduni is probably the best surgeon in my opinion and that quote about FUE was from him. I concede the main benefit of FUE is minimal scaring. Read the links and look at the best doctors FUT work compared to their FUE work. I suppose doctors like Feriduni, Feller, Cole, ********, Devroye and Farjo are all barbaric because they practice FUT. Should they all be struck of the register dreammerlin? You better tell them to stop operating I guess.
Stop calling me friend or buddy.
Ps. If I have a hair transplant and it's not successful I will not regret going through with it. I would rather try a solution then never knowing if it was the right one.

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
Except that with a FUT, there's no going back because of the scar.

At least if my FUE fails, I still have the option of shaving my head, while you will have to go George Costanza for the rest of your life.

Anyway, it's obvious you are delusional. Yes FUT is barbaric, and my surgeon as well as the prohairclinic who employed simply refuse to perform it because of that fact.

If I am delusional you are stupid. I have sent links of scar repair solutions which you ignore. The last video I posted from Umar the guy has his head shaved to a 2. If FUT is barbaric tell Feriduni and ********; two of the best surgeons in your country and the world they should no longer be surgeons. Idiot.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, isn't it well known that FUT allows for more follicles to be extracted in total? Like when you cut the strip and sew it back it 'vertically shortens' your hair in the back but does not thin it out by extracting single follicles, like FUE?
Would it not then be advantageous to do FUT and FUE to get the maximum amount of follicles?

Personally I don't think I would go for a hair transplant if it came to that, but I would never consider FUT. You really have to believe that you will never shave if you get a FUT.
Today at the gym I saw a dude shaved and with the biggest scar at the back of his head. I feel so bad for him. It clearly did not pan out.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a consultation with ******** in person. Very professional, even if he told me I wasn't a candidate for a hair transplant.

But yes I think even the top surgeons should stop performing FUT. It is barbaric and disfiguring. Period.

Why would you want to go through all this scar-repair trouble while you could just have a FUE? Are you short on money?

Agree agree agree .
Guy is delusional and thinks that "fraxel lasers" or other will make his scar dissapear. He saw some pictures...yeah in pictures there is a look and when you look in the mirror or in reality it may be much worse...
Some people end up with little scars, others end up with bigger ones, it even depends on scalp laxity, proper care during a period of MONTHS after surgery, etc. Recovery period of donor area in FUT is much longer.
No one guarantess the scar will be small and tiny, added that it depends not only on the doctor's skill, but also you must not strain it a couple of months, think about it, you can't even sleep on the back of the head.
Oh yes, and he wants FUT maybe because he's greedy, wants much much grafts in a single session.
Anyway, we want to do him some good, but if he doesn't listen, his problem with the scar.
And him saying that he has "very very fine" donor hair ->>doesn't seem a good hair transplant candidate.
But let him face the reality if he doesn't listen.

Why top surgeons perform FUT? Because IT'S EASIER to harvest grafts, they don't care about your scar, in fact they put you to sign that you accept the scar.

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
'Generally speaking, grafts extracted vie FUE are much more sensitive, as the extraction technique leaves much less protective tissue around the hair follicles. This ultimately leads to a slightly lower survival rate.' Dr Feriduni

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, isn't it well known that FUT allows for more follicles to be extracted in total? Like when you cut the strip and sew it back it 'vertically shortens' your hair in the back but does not thin it out by extracting single follicles, like FUE?
Would it not then be advantageous to do FUT and FUE to get the maximum amount of follicles?

Personally I don't think I would go for a hair transplant if it came to that, but I would never consider FUT. You really have to believe that you will never shave if you get a FUT.
Today at the gym I saw a dude shaved and with the biggest scar at the back of his head. I feel so bad for him. It clearly did not pan out.

You are right; you theoretically could maximize the amount of FUTs and then do FUE to get the most possible grafts. Some patients do this.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
I told you , do proper research, at the best FUE doctors(who perform ONLY FUE everyday) the survival rate of the grafts is over 95%.
LEt's say with STRIP it is 98%(can't be 100% there is no perfection).
Are 2-3% grafts worth the scar and the longer recovery process of the donor area?
Do your math.
Even if you want 3000 grafts, that can be done in 2 succesive days with FUE.
Although, from what i've heard, it's best to space the sessions 1 year apart.
this way any possible gaps remaining can be adressed at the second session, and it's best not to implant the grafts very close to each other in the same session, for their maximum survival.

HighHair

Reaction score
3000 grafts: Fut 98% success gives you 2940 and a horrible scar vs let's say 90% success FUE 2700 grafts and no big ugly scar.

Unless it's a financial issue it seems a no brainer, and if it is a financial issue I'd be postponing until it wasn't.