dbaser's story

dbaser

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been lurking for awhile, and thought I'd throw my hat into the ring. You know, the hat I cover my thinning hair with. :)

I'm a 29 year old male with diffuse thinning throughout.

I noticed my hair was thinning around age 20. Lots of hair lost in the shower. I soon had to cut my pony tail and resort to a more conventional cut. Bits of scalp were subtlely visible under my hair by age 23.

I started taking propecia and using minoxidil, though I always hated the application and greasy texture it gave to my hair. I also started using Toppik, which is great, and has been in my "regimen" for six years now.

Once the thinning got worse, I threw in the towel and got transplant surgery at age 24 from Medical Hair Restoration. 600 grafts. The job they did was fine, but I lost a lot of hair to shock loss. Whether or not some of it didn't grow back due to the hair transplant is hard to tell, because at the time I was also using Accutane for acne which caused some loss & dried out my scalp. But the shock-loss has made me wary of going back for another session for these last five years.

In any case, here I am at age 29 and my hair is only slightly better than it was. It's still very flyaway, very dry, very brittle, and very hard to shape into any attractive looking hairstyle. What's frustrating is that my only recourse for a hairstyle is parting it to the side. But when hair is that thin, it just looked like a really limp, flat-as-a-pancake premature combover. This makes me feel self-conscious when I go out at night, but I can't shave my head either because of the surgical scar. Augh!

Currently, I use Folligen spray three times a week (is the creme better?), I use the Lasercomb, I use proscar and I use Loreal Vive shampoo & Nizoral a few times a week. I still have not found a way to make minoxidil work for me and not make my hair greasy and my scalp more visible. Can you all suggest anything else I should experiment with?

In any case, I am contemplating another small hair transplant session with Dr. Epstein in Richmond, VA. What I sincerely hope, if I go through with it again, is that my shock-loss would be considerably less since much of the hair on the front of my scalp is permanent, transplanted hair, not the weak natural hair.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's discussions here, and I'd like to hear feedback from anyone who wants to offer observations or advice. If I get the second surgery, I'll post pictures. Any suggestions for haircuts or comments from others with dry, brittle hair would be great!

dbaser

Reaction score
I forgot to ask two questions:

1) Do you think there's much point in me using the Folligen spray if I'm not using any other topicals besides Nizoral? I use about 15 sprays four times a week. Does that sound right?

2) Since insurance doesn't cover Propecia for hairloss, why in the world wouldn't anyone just cut up proscar instead for 1/3 the price? Why spend the extra money?

Also: I just bought American Crew's Thickening Conditioner and I can honestly say I haven't noticed any product making my hair look so good in years. :)

Mindfull

Reaction score
hi there

sounds like this hair deal has been a great concern to you and probably influencing your personal life. Pretty darn irritating that you cant just cut the whole thing off, getting the masculine look that has been quite popular and trendsetting the last decade. Is the scar really that bad? Its probably easier to remove the scar than to restore a satisfactory amount of hair :wink:
.. As for myself Im taking Avodart and using Remox III (minoxidil). Ive maintained, but havent gained. My hair is thin on top, and I cut it short - Bruce Willis style. Ive been studying these things quite in dept as I was very concerned about the sideeffects of using particularly Dutasteride (before I was taking finasteride). From What Ive read Finasteride, Dutasteride, Minoxidil and hairtransplants are the only proven remedies for restoring some of your lost hair. It sounds like youve lost quite some hair since you cant style it any longer. I honestly believe you should not hope to restore any hair medically or by using topical solutions. If you really want some more hair on top you need another hair restoration procedure and commit yourself to taking finasteride or dutasteride the rest of your days, or until something else comes along.
Alternatively, you should just cut your hair and seek some inner peace. Ask someone whom you trust if they think you would honestly look better with the hair that you can expect from another surgery (which is not at all a full head) or if you cut yourself bald. It may be that you have a less fashionable headshape, and also everything is a matter of taste .... but unless the scarring is really bad (and it cannot be removed by laser, e.g.) I personally think that sort of solution is the most predictable - and peaceful.

Good luck!

dbaser

Reaction score
Thanks for you comments Mindfull :)

I'm getting better about obsessing about my hair as I get older. And when I look around me and plenty of my friends are seeing some loss, I don't feel quite as bad.

I was confused by this, though:

"I honestly believe you should not hope to restore any hair medically or by using topical solutions. If you really want some more hair on top you need another hair restoration procedure and"

It sounds like you're first saying I shouldn't hope to restore my hair via surgery (medically), but then saying that another procedure is my only hope. Sounds contradictory....?

Mindfull

Reaction score
hi again

Im sorry if I was unclear, english is not my first language. What I meant was that from reading your story, I would not expect any oral or topical drugs to help you gain (but prob maintain) anymore hair, thus making additional surgery the better alternative, in my oppinion (if you do not wish to cut your that, that is).

I wish you the best of luck!

HoChiMinh

Reaction score
Is the finasteride sold on this site legit?

Hi guys Im new to this whole thing and was planning to buy finasteride from this site...does anyone have any imput on if this site sells legit medicine? Any reply would help plenty, I got no time to waste ...thanks guys.... :freaked2:

nobold

Reaction score
Re: Is the finasteride sold on this site legit?

HoChiMinh said:
Hi guys Im new to this whole thing and was planning to buy finasteride from this site...does anyone have any imput on if this site sells legit medicine? Any reply would help plenty, I got no time to waste ...thanks guys.... :freaked2:

They sell only scam, that's why we all are here :lol:

Reaction score
well good luck

I'm in my late 20's too, and I would like to at least keep the hair I have right now, so I know how it feels

RaginDemon

Reaction score
who did get your hair transplant from?