Darker Hair on finasteride?

qball

Reaction score
I had diffuse thinning, peppery hair and a really oily scalp. I have doing the following for exactly 4 months: 1mg finpecia daily, polysorbate 80 mixed with a mild shampoo, rinse and then followed with 1% nizoral shampoo in the morning. At night polysorbate 80 mixed with a shampoo. I also take a multivitamin, msn, vitamin d, fish oil capsule, flax seed oil every morning.

I spend weeks away from home, so my wife has a chance to not notice my head for that period of time and evaluate things for me. At the 3 month mark when I had been away from home for 4 weeks, she asked me if I was coloring my hair because she said it was darker. I went away for a few more weeks and returned and she noted that at the 4 month mark my hair was darker as well. She also told me that my hair was looking less chewed up and was definitely filling in.

So what is this darker dair due to? The finpecia or the shampoo?

Established Member
Reaction score
Every year around this time I notice my hair is a bit darker. I think the sun in the summer time lightens up the color of my hair and because I don't get much exposure to sunlight in the winter months my hair starts to darken up a bit. Not sure it applies to your case but it took many years before I figured out I was even going through seasonal hair color changes.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
i can say that the big three is making my hair darker

people i haven't seen for a year are asking me if i dye my hair
or they say i can't remember your hair being that dark

i think it's a good thing

i believe the DHT degradation process is slow and it starts with your hair shafts becoming lighter and slightly thinner with each hair cycle

i believe with each hair shaft shed could be a darker/thicker hair shaft growing in it's place

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
No I've been on finasteride and nizoral for almost 2 years and if anything my hair has gotten blonder.

bezerra

Established Member
Reaction score
If your face skin is whiter then your hair will look darker, if you have a summer face (ergg :p) then your hair will look lighter. That's just cosmetic.
Also, ticker hair looks darker than tinny hair.

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't call my skin tan and my hair isn't minaturized. When I was a kid my hair was bright blond and it darkened during puberty. My hair is lighter than it was before I started finasteride and nizoral so I think it has to do with less androgen stimulation of the hair follicle.