damn what the hell is going on?

NaS

Reaction score
i been on proscar for about 15 months now. it's not a generic brand, it's a Merck prescription.

all my hair loss worries began because i thought my hairline was slightly receding. so i did a bit of research and found that i should take proscar as a pre-emptive measure (i.e. catching it early as i was only 20 at the time). i got the prescription from my dermatologist. after examining everything he told me it appeared i only had mild hairline recession, so he put me on the proscar.

ever since i started taking it, my hair condition began to plummet. within 4 months my hair became considerably thinner on the top of my scalp. my hair began to feel and look very wirey and just gross. it lost volume. i thought it was just a shed, decided to ride it out. the conditoin of my hair completely changed from being thick and bouyant with a little bit of recession, to flat, thin, wirey and soft.

so i did, and it has continued to go down hill. i've continued to get thinner all over the top, crown, and on my hairline. ive even noticed that the back of my head and the sides are somewhat thinner as well. especially the back. ive noticed that for more than 6 months. so overall, the condition of my entire head of hair has plummeted.

my dad started going bald at 30ish.. but very slowly. he still has hair but it's thin, and hes 56. his older brother has good hair but just a receded hairline somewhat. my mums dad was going bald by the age of 27, but based on photos ive seen, his hair loss was a more conventional type (the receding hair line, then the crown etc.. he had a very thick forelock and vertex), whereas mine is just diffuse all of a sudden.

i just find it a bit of an odd coincidence that as soon as i start taking the proscar, my entire hair goes down the shitter. very weird since i supposedly caught my hair loss early, initially had no sign of any thinning on top or crown, and as far as i know nobody in my family was a diffuse thinner. ive read other people who have had a similar experience.

thoughts?

Swanson

Established Member
Reaction score
well if you were on it for 15 months and had those results

maybe you should get off proscar and reevaluate another 6 months later to see if you hair improves without proscar.

NateF

Reaction score
This sounds exactly like what is happening to me. Thinner hair everywhere, much more visible scalp, itching, fuzzy patches. This is my 16 month on Proscar. I think I should stop. If it gets worse I'll just get a hair transplant.

Kaze

Established Member
Reaction score
hey. you me and irish dude have had the same reaction. irish dudes story is on the story section of the forum. the back of my head and sides have thinned just as much. i am 8 months in but have been thinning since day5. irish dude has quit and is seeing if it repairs itself. post under his story if you can. has your hair line recesion slowed or atopped mine has. that is what keepi g me from stopping.